Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
My G5 processors just failed (unfortunately, that seems to be going around). I just ordered a new MP. :apple:

Is there any reason why I can't just take the HDs from my old PPC G5 and stick them in the new Mac Pro? I want to keep all my data, and erase what I don't need. Obviously, one of them will have all the operating system files on it (10.4.11).

Will this work?

My initial thought is "of course it will work", but just wanted to check that there isn't some strange PPC vs Intel format compatibility issue.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
They'll install OK, physically and you'll be able to use them just fine. Your mac pro probably won't boot off of your old hard drive but you should be able to transfer your files painlessly using the migration assistant.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Your Mac Pro definitely won't boot off your existing boot drive. You'll have to migrate all your files over to the Mac Pro and move to 10.5 or 10.6.

Be sure all your software is Intel compatible and 10.5 or 10.6 compatible.

promoose

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
My G5 processors just failed (unfortunately, that seems to be going around). I just ordered a new MP. :apple:

Is there any reason why I can't just take the HDs from my old PPC G5 and stick them in the new Mac Pro? I want to keep all my data, and erase what I don't need. Obviously, one of them will have all the operating system files on it (10.4.11).

Will this work?

My initial thought is "of course it will work", but just wanted to check that there isn't some strange PPC vs Intel format compatibility issue.

Worked fine for me. Install your G5 boot disk before your first start up, and the set-up assistant will recognize it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.