Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
Just thought I'd throw this out as I reminisced about the early days of the internet.

Who remembers wbs.net? Who was a member and if so, post your online name, you never, we may just know each other ;)

owyn999

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
I was a regular there... just hadn't looked for anyone else any time recently.

Did you go to the RP rooms or did you hang out in the other rooms?

PM9

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
NO WAY! I was a regular on WBS.net! My name was ProudestMonkey9 (everyone called me PM9) and I chatted cooonstantly on Young Writers Club and sometimes in Edgewise Cafe. This was all back when I was 16. Oh man......good old days!! Anyone else? I'd love to find some old friends!

owyn999

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Yeah I kinda remember that room, I really wish we could have gotten all the code and some backups from before the Disney/Go Takeover cause those rooms were amazing... they never had issues and seemed to be coded just right... there's other places now but none of them seem to really be at quite the same level.

I mean Tenshadows/Nails, IWT, and a few of the other big name rooms went to WorldBroadcastingSystem.net and a few others went to whispering realms and some others went elsewhere. and none of the communities went to any one or the other its quite sad... we over at worldbroadcastingsystem.net are trying to get wbs.net back from the snipers who bought that when it was sold off by Disney/Go...

xdrak

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Yarp. They called me Drakkhen I was the first to carry that name on WBS everyone else had numbers on the end of the name LOL.

I hung out in 20something. I still have multiple ppl that I'm intouch with. Since the golden era of WBS.

Mean while Lifes good I'm not 20something anymore :cool:

A few years ago someone took over the WBS.NET domain they opened up a forum. The bandwidth killed the pocket book. I'm still around... Still kept my low numbered ICQ. Still get messages from the lost world. :mad: too bad WBS.NET isn't around anymore we are still :)

Sidra

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2008
I was a regular!

I rped in star wars Mostly as Sidra Darkathean and Jade Gold in other places would love to get in touch with the old crew!!!:eek:

Chess613

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Wbs

Yes! I was a regular on WBS.NET as "Chess613" and earlier as "HOPE VI" .. I loved WBS, it was a great alternative to the AOL chatrooms, for the primary reason: you can post pictures next to your chats as it scrolled down! I think it was my first foray into the real internet, instead of being locked down by AOL - this was a whole new world, and it helped me understand the internet had limless possibilities.

I loved chatting on WBS and I was sad to see it disappear almost immediately, I think around 1998 or 1999. But I have fond memories.

chess613@yahoo.com

JohnBlackstarP

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2009
Wbs---I was there

I use to chat in the rooms Penpals, Have A Friend, Thirty Something Terrace, and Social Singles. I went by 2 different handles I started out with the name IMNRA and later switched or to Guyver01. I net a lot of interesting people and often wonder where everyone went. :cool: I and now on Pogo.com and there I go by the handle JohnBlackstarP. Check out pogo sometime and play some games while your there.:)

luzah

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2009
Oh hell yeah I was

I was there and met Distcoyote (usually on one of the music forums) ... my name on there was Ebow69 I think? I also got to meet Miss Lucyfer on there!

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Young'uns!

When you start out with the talk(1) or ytalk(1) command, or Ewtoo based talkers, then we'll talk. ;)

BL.

invalidcookie

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
I had to make an account just to reply. lol Hell yeah I was a reg. no one would most likely remember me I had WAY to many names. I'd say Tatto was my most popular. Although everyone would always call me Mike.

Reactions: SPEEDNYCE

angeleyes

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
Definitely!!! wbs brings back so many good memories!!!
I used to be fallenangel256 but I can't remember on which chat rooms I used to hang out...I do remember a boy to whom I spent most of my time talking to, his nickname (handle back then!) was clutter69 and he lived in Ontario, Canada...

Hadassah55

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
Wbs

I have such fond memories of WBS. My handle was Hadassah55. I had to sign up for this forum just because of this post :) so I used my old screen name.

I hung out in the Irish Room all the time even though I'm not Irish at all. This was my VERY FIRST Internet experience. The first email of my whole life, was the receipt for the sign-up at WBS.

I met my husband there!

Piolina

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
YES!!! Way back in 1997, with a very slow dial up connection... but oh how fun it was to conncet with so many people!! I was Piolina or Piolina 28006 (not sure) and spent a lot of time in a Norway room. Also talked a lot with a guy from Canada. Fun times!

Just Ivan

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
OMG I was looking up WBS Irish Meet to see if there were any of the old photos online somewhere and found this thanks to you Hadassah. I was Just Ivan and went exclusively to the Irish room. When I found this I had to sign up too just too post. I know its an old thread and I hope it sends replies to posters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.