Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I recently updated Flash, and it's no longer working properly. On many sites it works just fine (YouTube, for instance). On some sites, however, it loads but doesn't work, if that makes sense. For instance, on Ikea.com where Flash is used, it shows a loading symbol stuck at 51%. When I right click and select settings, the settings panel for Flash pops up but everything is grayed out and it won't even close when 'close' is clicked. Any ideas?

I've tried repairing permissions and uninstalling and reinstalling Flash.

Update: It doesn't work in Firefox either.
Update2: Flash does work properly in Guest account

5DollaFootlong

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2009
Flash was only troublesome for me in 10.6. I updated and reinstalled flash and repaired permissions, and now it works fine. Adobe recently released a prerelease of flash 10.1. I hope this means that an update is coming. Flash has never been good on a mac because Adobe is just lazy. You should download and try the prerelease.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I've tried that prerelease with no luck. I'm now back to the latest release. I used the Flash uninstaller, then installed the latest release and repaired permissions. It's still not working properly. Some of the sites it's not working on, were working fine before. I've never had this sort of problem with Flash.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I think you're just being kind, Adobe isn't lazy, they are just plain rude to the Mac community. However, I'm not having issues with flash on the Ikea site. The OP should make sure that he has all his updates in place. OS X, flash and Safari.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
KY
Everything is up to date. This problem originated after updating Flash.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Everything is up to date. This problem originated after updating Flash.

First suggestion: try creating a new admin user, and check the websites that DON'T work when logged in as the new user.

If it works fine, then re-installing the OS, Flash etc, won't work. The problem will be a pref or cache in your original user's home folder.

If the new user works fine, try deleting the content of:

Users/*YOUR USERNAME*/Library/Caches/Adobe/Flash Player/

and

Users/*YOUR USERNAME*/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/

If it makes no difference with a new user, then it's somewhere else other than your user's home folder.

EDIT: Just saw "update 2" in the OP.

EDIT2: Although it's circa 10.5.x, you could try Preferential Treatment but be aware that some plist files are erroneously reported.
________
buy mflb

Last edited:

jjovanw

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Flash not working in Safari or Firefox on some Sites

You probably accidentally or indirectly adjusted your privacy settings. Adobe has created a way to adjust privacy control settings through a Flash menu on their site so you don't have to find it on your computer. Just do a search on google.com for "Global Storage Settings panel". Click the link to Adobe's page. A Flash settings panel will load in your browser. Navigate to the "Global Storage Settings" tab. From there you have to make sure that two things are checked. Once there, check the boxes that say:

"Allow third-party Flash content to store data on your computer"
and
"Store common Flash components to reduce download times"

Once you do this, restart your browser and everything should work!

apanag

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
Flash Player problems and slow

My Flash Player version 11 was very slow playing videos, it could not play them properly. On a very similar (Dual Core 2) Laptop with same Lion but older Flash player the videos where playing perfectly.

For me the solution was simple. Uninstall with the adobe tool the version 11, and after a little a bit of research I found the page with adobe flash player version 10 for mac. I installed it and now it plays the videos perfect.

Try to install an older version. I suggest version 10.

Here is the URL for older flash players for mac.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html#main_Archived_Flash_Player_versions_for_developers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.