Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
This may have already been asked but I searched and found nothing.

Is it possible to use the built in Leopard Screen Sharing to control a PC? Can this be done from the "Shared" panel in the Finder? I'm guessing this is just wishful thinking but it would be awesome if you could.

lallenlowe

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
VNC Open Standard, BABY!

Hey bro, you just need the PC to be running a VNC server, and then absolutley you can share the screen!

good luck, lallenlowe

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
There are a ton of free (legally) VNC servers for Windows, don't get suckered into paying for one.

For a Mac client, use Chicken of the VNC (Not maintained anymore, but your best bet)

lallenlowe

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
No Chickens, all big cats

Hey actually, Leopards built in screen sharing client IS a vnc client, so no need to run out and download chicken of the vnc. cool, I know!

lallenlowe

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Or you can navigate to Go » Connect to Server and type vnc://1.2.3.4 in the input box (where 1.2.3.4 is the computer's IP address).

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
If I get a VNC server onto the PC, will a "Share Screen" button show up in the Finder? I'm not quite sure how (besides using the Finder's Go command) to connect to the VNC server on the PC.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
If I get a VNC server onto the PC, will a "Share Screen" button show up in the Finder? I'm not quite sure how (besides using the Finder's Go command) to connect to the VNC server on the PC.

Sky Blue has explained how to (potentially) do it. But remember, you need to download and install a VNC server on your PC - this might be an issue on a work PC. It should work though, with a Linux machine running a VNC server.

If you have XP Pro, you have Microsoft's Remote Desktop built in, and you can enable that. But that doesn't use VNC and you need Microsoft's RDC to connect (or one of the third party equivalents). A PC with Remote Desktop enabled won't show up in Shared.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Sky Blue has explained how to (potentially) do it. But remember, you need to download and install a VNC server on your PC - this might be an issue on a work PC. It should work though, with a Linux machine running a VNC server.

If you have XP Pro, you have Microsoft's Remote Desktop built in, and you can enable that. But that doesn't use VNC and you need Microsoft's RDC to connect (or one of the third party equivalents). A PC with Remote Desktop enabled won't show up in Shared.

Alright, I got it. Thank you everyone so much! What I ended up doing was copying the screen sharing app into my app folder so it is easier to get to. Then, I made a web clipping of the "attached devices" section on my router's page so I can see the up to date IP addresses. I installed TightVNC on the PCs and it works flawlessly.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
back from the dead

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I need some help with this issue.

I'm trying to allow a PC to view a Mac's screen. They are not on the same network.

So far, I've got TightVNC on the PC, and I can see the PC screen from a mac on the same network (system/library/coreservices/screensharing --> put in the IP of the PC). BUT, the same method doesn't work when the connection comes from outside my network. I've tried putting in the external IP, but the connection is instantly refused.

Even if that did work, I'm not sure how I'd reverse the process to see the mac screen from the PC. Thoughts?

Finally, anyone have any experience with livelook? Looks like it could work (for a modest fee), but I'm concerned about security and ease of use (mostly security).

Thanks a lot!

Edit: I think I've got it. A free program named "team viewer" seems to do exactly what I want, and rather easily, too. If anyone has any experience with team viewer I'd love to hear it, but otherwise, I think I'm good now.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I need some help with this issue.

I'm trying to allow a PC to view a Mac's screen. They are not on the same network.

So far, I've got TightVNC on the PC, and I can see the PC screen from a mac on the same network (system/library/coreservices/screensharing --> put in the IP of the PC). BUT, the same method doesn't work when the connection comes from outside my network. I've tried putting in the external IP, but the connection is instantly refused.

Even if that did work, I'm not sure how I'd reverse the process to see the mac screen from the PC. Thoughts?

Finally, anyone have any experience with livelook? Looks like it could work (for a modest fee), but I'm concerned about security and ease of use (mostly security).

Thanks a lot!

Edit: I think I've got it. A free program named "team viewer" seems to do exactly what I want, and rather easily, too. If anyone has any experience with team viewer I'd love to hear it, but otherwise, I think I'm good now.

Used TeamViewer for a while and eventually switched to Yugma. I think TeamViewer was timing out after a while on the free version at the time (not sure if it still does that). Both require someone at the other machine I believe. For remote admin of computers I use http://www.logmein.com -- works well, free...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.