Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stiviknik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
I am considering to buy either a Itouch or a Iphone3G.

I wonder if the Iphone will work without a SIM-card, if i someday want a new phone can I then use the Iphone as an Itouch ?

stiviknik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
I know I have to buy it with an operator, I meant can I use it afterwards in 1-2 years time without a SIM-card. I was told the "old"-Iphone can be used without a SIM-card.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I'm sure it's just a typo, but I want to clarify for the OP:

It won't work without a SIM card. It has to be activated on AT&T to be usable, at least that's the way it looks right now.

Well call me Mr Butterfingers :eek:

I know I have to buy it with an operator, I meant can I use it afterwards in 1-2 years time without a SIM-card. I was told the "old"-Iphone can be used without a SIM-card.

I suppose so. But you'll still need to pay the $70 a month minimum for those 2 years. You might be able to ETF it and end up paying the ETF fee ($200 for AT&T I think?). You have to do it after 30 days (doing it before, you won't get charged the ETF but you'll have to return the iPhone). So you'll have to pay at least one month worth of service for $84 or so (after taxes).

The first iPhone could operate SIM free because you bought the phone and signed up for a contract at home through iTunes. Now you can't leave the store without service.

stiviknik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Thanks for your reply.

I live in Denmark and only have to sign up for 6 months.

And after the 6 months or later I maybe wants to buy another phone and then still be able to use the Iphone as an Itouch.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yes, you should be able to use it without a SIM-card afterwards.

For example, last June 29th, I bought the original iPhone and signed a 2-year contract with AT&T.

On July 11th (this year), when I upgrade to the new iPhone (and sign another 2-year contract with AT&T), my old iPhone should work fine without a SIM card.

verafly6

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
i just bought it from my friend like 3 hrs ago
when i open it up theres this symbol:
:apple:
^
|
|
|
|
and it says:
NO SIM CARD INSTALLED
insert a valid SIM with no PIN lock
to activate phone.

and when i plug it into itunes it ways the same thing and rejects the connection.
and i dont think theres any program i can use to jailbreak it
so WTF do i do?????????? :confused: :mad:

verafly6

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
thanks for the suggestions and help everyone! but i just borrowed my friends sim card and used itunes to unlock and activate it, then blackra1n'd it haha :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.