Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
If anyone's looking to pick up the HIS 4890, now would be the time as they're back in stock. They're ridiculously easy to flash for OS X. :)

Trudel

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2009
Success! :)

Hi everyone!

I successfully flashed my new Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB. I followed the instructions from mfka on page 3 of this thread and it worked like a charm. :)

If there are any other people from germany who would also like to get this card and flash it, here is what I got:

Bought the card here: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/info/p619402_1024MB-Sapphire-Radeon-HD4890-GDDR5-PCIe.html

I got the cable (only needed one, I already had one from my X1900XT) from a friend who works at the Apple reseller mStore. He said that any mStore would order the cable for you if you ask. It was actually specified as a cable for the nVidia Quadro FX 4500, but it turned out to be exactly same as the one I had from my X1900XT.
mStore:http://www.mstore.de/

Useful specs:
- mac pro 1,1 with OSX 10.6.1
- Model: HD4890 1G GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI/DVI-I/DP
- PN: 288-1E115-D20SA
- SKU: 11150-11-20R
- RoHS: A093800028080

Additional feedback: Before ordering I tried to find out wether the card I wanted to order would have Hynix or Qimonda ram on it. I contacted Sapphire support and sent them the PN and SKU numbers from the retailers website. They replied that they needed the RoHS number to determine this. The RoHS number is printed on the box, so a retailer who has the card in stock should be able to give you the number and you can ask Sapphire support before ordering. :)
Btw, you don't have to remove the cooling unit to determine the ram manufacturer! I could clearly see the Qimonda-logo on the ram chip on the bottom right of the picture mfka posted.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this noble cause :), especially Cindori (donation on the way) for his flash-app and Peloche for the working rom! :D

mfka

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
Congrats Trudel! ;)

As i said before, Sapphire NE seems to be best buy GPU for :apple:. :D

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
If anyone's looking to pick up the HIS 4890, now would be the time as they're back in stock. They're ridiculously easy to flash for OS X. :)

I'm looking at the Sapphire HD 4890 equipped with HDMI. Did anyone successfully get it to work with the HDMI in terms of say plugging in an HDMI device like a gaming console and using 3rd party software to record the input?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=025645&cid=VDC.243.272

One crucial thing I forgot to ask is; will this work in Windows as well without incident? I'm thinking about picking this card up strictly to play Windows games in native or through CrossOver.

Any cautions against this?

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
Hi, sorry I am confused. You want to plug in a gaming console into the HDMI of the 4890? Can you do that? I didn't realize some video cards accept input. (that would be kinda cool).

As far as flashing the Sapphire to work in OSX, Yes it works fine. Just a couple of posts up is a success story, and in the larger ultimate there there are a few people (including myself) who are using this adapter.

NOTE: I am not sure if the HDMI port works on the sapphire, as this is not an option in the Apple 4870 video card, which is a major factor in the ROM/Driver for the 4890. It may work in Windows though. (I used my flashed 4890 in Windows all the time to play games, works great!!!)

K

I'm looking at the Sapphire HD 4890 equipped with HDMI. Did anyone successfully get it to work with the HDMI in terms of say plugging in an HDMI device like a gaming console and using 3rd party software to record the input?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=025645&cid=VDC.243.272

One crucial thing I forgot to ask is; will this work in Windows as well without incident? I'm thinking about picking this card up strictly to play Windows games in native or through CrossOver.

Any cautions against this?

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Hi, sorry I am confused. You want to plug in a gaming console into the HDMI of the 4890? Can you do that? I didn't realize some video cards accept input. (that would be kinda cool).

As far as flashing the Sapphire to work in OSX, Yes it works fine. Just a couple of posts up is a success story, and in the larger ultimate there there are a few people (including myself) who are using this adapter.

NOTE: I am not sure if the HDMI port works on the sapphire, as this is not an option in the Apple 4870 video card, which is a major factor in the ROM/Driver for the 4890. It may work in Windows though. (I used my flashed 4890 in Windows all the time to play games, works great!!!)

K

Thanks for the reply. In terms of the HDMI port, is it an outty? So I take it you plug a male to male cable to use an HDMI display like an LCD TV. That would mean this card is capable of 3 displays :D

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
no, I believe you can only have 2 displays at the same time

That is my understanding as well, and I believe the HDMI does not work in OSX since the drivers were never setup to use HDMI (Apple's 4870 card only had DVI and MDP, so no HDMI functionality). I assume it works in Windows though.

K

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
why that question is pointless:

your card does not work with the roms in the rom pkg (that is meant for that model), hence you probably have some variaton in your card. any rom that people upload will, if they had a succesful flash, not be the original rom of your card.

for the 2nd time, try reflash with original from from pkg and use injector. if it works with the original rom and injector / or windows, you have other issues.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
That looks identical to my card, shesmu. Same box, too. Though I had an NVIDIA card that I could use while flashing the 4890, so I didn't need Natit.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I have success too!

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB
Mac Pro (first gen 1,1)

Piece of cake!

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I think I've run out of borrowed time. My computer will no longer show any image after it boots. Unbeknownst to me, it started to do this about a month ago but I thought nothing of it because the 2600XT card I got since day 1 never really performed flawlessly but consulting these forums, other people also exhibited similar issues. Well, about a month ago, booting up the machine and getting an image was very touch and go. I changed it from one 16x PCIE to another, thinking it was some mythological voodoo that made my machine temperamental. Today, despite how many times I've hard boot the machine or slot swapping, I get no image whatsoever.

So my question is: if I pick up a new card, am I able to flash it? i.e plug in the new card and edit what needs editing, reboot and voila.

velaperamo

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
Hi,

I´m newbie. I have a mac pro 2x2.8 Quad-Core with 10.5.8 os X and 8800 GT. I´d like to put Ati 4890 and buyed this Sapphire (Overclock edition) to flash it. This is a valid/compatible graphic card or not ?

I have only a few days for return this.

Sorry again for my english.
Thanks a lot

Attachments

• IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 114

chrash

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
I posted in the Ultimate 4890 thread, but figured I'd leave a note here as well. I managed to get a Diamond 4890 (model A4890PE51G) working in my Mac Pro (1,1). I've seen one report about it not working, but everything went smoothly for me. The card appears to be a stock ATI reference board. I flashed the card with the HIS image from Cindori's rom collection using my Windows XP bootcamp parition. My understanding is that the HIS rom is from a reference board as well, so I am not anticipating any problems. If someone would like to make a mac modified version of the Diamond rom that I saved a copy of, let me know. Photo of the card/box:

Attachments

• Diamond 4890.png
    Diamond 4890.png
    437.6 KB · Views: 131

robmac

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2009
Xfx Hd 4890 Zsfr

I picked up a XFX Radeon HD 4890 ZSFR today at Best Buy to replace my GTX 285 Mac Edition. The 285 has been a disappointment, and underperforms in OS X.

I'm going to be backing up the ROM in a few minutes and flashing it. I'll write back here after I've got it working (or run into problems). Some others have gotten this card working in another thread, so I'm thinking I should be able to do the same tonight.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I picked up a XFX Radeon HD 4890 ZSFR today at Best Buy to replace my GTX 285 Mac Edition. The 285 has been a disappointment, and underperforms in OS X.

I'm going to be backing up the ROM in a few minutes and flashing it. I'll write back here after I've got it working (or run into problems). Some others have gotten this card working in another thread, so I'm thinking I should be able to do the same tonight.

That's the one I had. I got shadow glitches when I played Modern Warfare 2 in Windows Vista. I hope you have good luck with it. I returned mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.