Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-::ubermann::-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
i have a macbook core duo and the CPU temperature is never below 60ºC(except when i have just rurned it on, obviously) is this normal? what about yours?
ive downloaded latest patches and latest firmware

Erukian

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
My macbook hovers around 50C on a desk when chatting/web/music is going. 60C on my lap.

I noticed my fans dont kick up until it hits 93-95C (hot!) is this normal? is my unit defective? i thought they're supposed to start spinning up sooner. I got this MBP day one when the SR chipset launched.

edit: and no, i'm not using or have ever installed SMCFanControl or any app that's futzing with the fans. I figure apple knows how to thermally control their own machine seeing how they designed both the hardware and the OS.

-Joe

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
That does seem to be a little on the hot side. Do you do very heavy stuff with your macbook? Videos? Graphics? Things like that can make the temp. sky rocket real fast. If not, then maybe something is blocking air flow. Check out your vents, and try to keep the macbook on a surface that's "breatheable." Things like beds are a bad idea, as the cloth is meant to trap heat.

docc

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Miami
Before i got the iLap, my MB used to average at 60-65 C (with regular use), but now it rarely crosses 55 C. Get the iLap, its simply fantastic. Oh btw, i was referring to those temperatures with SMC maintaining the fan speed at default speed i.e 2500. If i set it at a higher RPM, temperature falls to around 50 C :)

Cheers.

Erukian

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
yeah, my fans sit at 2k RPM until the mid 90C's, and yeah video encoding does it easily then it ramps up, it never seems to cross 95C though, the fans keep ramping up to keep it right around the high 80's.

and this is on a flat desk with 60-70F as the ambient temp.

-Joe

koiato

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
U should control the fans on your mac manually. see smcFancontrol. Also always check which process uses most of the %cpu. Try to keep it at around 50C-55C. Keep the fans around ..4000, if you do graphics or play games. Keep your machine healthy by keeping it cool:))

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My 2.2 GHz C2D MacBook usually sits at around 44°C, and it's on my lap right now. I'm not using SMCFanControl.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-22 at 11.04.12 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-22 at 11.04.12 PM.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 5,688
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.