Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakr

macrumors regular
Original poster
I have an iMac 3.06Ghz and once the "problems" with the new I7 iMacs are fixed, I plan to buy one.

Will there be a way to simply and gracefully move my applications from the old iMac to the new iMac, or will I have to reinstall everything the old fashioned way, from scratch?

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
There are a few ways. One using an ethernet cable to connect the two and another is Time Machine.

The cable method involves starting your new iMac and when it asks if you want to transfer information just tell it to do so from another Mac and it should find the ethernet connection. It will take some time, depending on the amount of information, and both iMacs will be unusable at the time but this is the fastest way in my experience.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
There are a few ways. One using an ethernet cable to connect the two and another is Time Machine.

The cable method involves starting your new iMac and when it asks if you want to transfer information just tell it to do so from another Mac and it should find the ethernet connection. It will take some time, depending on the amount of information, and both iMacs will be unusable at the time but this is the fastest way in my experience.

I agree with this user. The fastest way also.

Also if you have a time machine backup of the other Mac you can just restore that on the new mac

Good step by step guides on Apples website about Time Machine
:apple: Mat L

hakr

macrumors regular
Original poster
I agree with this user. The fastest way also.

Also if you have a time machine backup of the other Mac you can just restore that on the new mac

Good step by step guides on Apples website about Time Machine
:apple: Mat L

I don't use Time Machine...I use superduper. I don't mind hooking the machines together, if that really works...the "transfer via cable" method, I hope, "reconstructs" the older machine onto the newer machine?

That would be terrific. Does everything end up working the way it should?
Forgive my naivete on this...I'm just trying to avoid a massive headache followed by lots of time reinstalling everything.

Standard ethernet cable ?

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
I'm sorry I've made a mistake. Connecting FIREWIRE between the two is the only direct-wire method.

Connecting your new iMac to the same router that your old one is using will put them on the same network, thus you can use the Migration Assistant via the network. I recommend wiring both iMacs rather than using any WiFi ;)

Apple Support

The first time you start the new iMac it will guide you to the option to transfer files. At that point you will select From Another Mac and select the Network option.

hakr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Might someone point me to the precise Time Machine documentation on the Apple site that explains how to back up my current iMac so that the backup can be "restored" to a new iMac?

I might be selling my old iMac before the new one arrives...

I have not used Time Machine before...I can back it up to a spare Lacie exterior hard drive I have that currently is connected to my iMac via firewire.

Thanks

neilhart

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
SF Bay Area - Fremont
I have an iMac 3.06Ghz and once the "problems" with the new I7 iMacs are fixed, I plan to buy one.

Will there be a way to simply and gracefully move my applications from the old iMac to the new iMac, or will I have to reinstall everything the old fashioned way, from scratch?

I am not a time machine user. I use sata external drives in a sata/usb dirve dock and make bootable clone copies. If I were in your position, I would make a clone copy of the your current machine, make a clone copy of the new machine (test boot to both from the original machine just as a check). Then on the new machine with the external drive clone copy of the old machine mounted I would use Migration Assistant.

Migration Assistant gives you choices of what you want to move over. In this case where you have clones of the originals, you can experiment between moving only applications, user accounts, and data.

If you do not already have them, go download SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner; both are user friendly donation ware.

And some are going to pick at using USB instead of firewire. My method is cheap and nearly fool proof.

neil

tunerX

Suspended
Nov 5, 2009
I used time machine as well. During the initial setup of my i7 it asked where I wanted to get files from. I selected TM and was able to choose what I wanted to restore.

Quick and painless.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple Migration Assistant.

Apple actually invests money into usability which saves user time and headache (unlike windows).

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Apple invests in impressing me every step of the way

I invest in opting for Apple products whenever I can

I'm very strong-feeling when it comes to brand/company pride but at the same time I'm reasonable and unbiased. Apple and Best Buy and Intel are on the top of my list of people that just don't let down ;)

expergo

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2004
I'm sorry I've made a mistake. Connecting FIREWIRE between the two is the only direct-wire method.

Connecting your new iMac to the same router that your old one is using will put them on the same network, thus you can use the Migration Assistant via the network. I recommend wiring both iMacs rather than using any WiFi ;)

Apple Support

The first time you start the new iMac it will guide you to the option to transfer files. At that point you will select From Another Mac and select the Network option.

I believe you can actually connect both directly via ethernet as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.