Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
Madrid
I have had my iBook G4 for 4 years, and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. A couple of weeks ago I spilt water on it. I left it to dry, and after 3 days it was working again perfectly, apart from the fact that the screen is very dark. Its as if the screen light has been dimmed to the lowest setting, and neither using the button on the keyboard or trying to change it in system prefs makes any difference. What I would like to know is, is it worth getting my laptop repaired for about £200? Is it likely that the laptop will continue problem-free for a decent number of years to come to make paying this amount on repairs worth it? PC users all tell me - buy yourself a new laptop. But I'd like to think that my laptop hasn't come to the end of its life just yet. Am I naive to think this? So basically my question is - is spend £200 getting a 4 year old iBook repaired worth it?? Thanks in advance for any advice!

chili

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2009
No way

No, the iBook is just too old and doesnt keep up with today's performance. Buy a macbook... :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
If you feel that you can still use a 4+ year old computer, and that it fits your needs then it is worthwhile getting it fixed. However if it was starting to struggle then perhaps its time too look at an upgrade.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
It would really suck if you spent that money for a repair, only to have the computer COMPLETELY die on you a month or two later, wouldn't it? I'd say save the money and put it towards a new MacBook.

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
Depends. Does the computer fit your daily needs? If you're happy running it with it's current OS and applications, then it's probably fine. Saying that, 800 pounds will get you a nice Macbook Pro 13", so I suppose it really depends on what you can afford with your budget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.