Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I'm still running .333 of BetterTouchTool, but this version has been stable and working well. This app is really getting nice and I need to start working on some more advanced configurations. As each version of BTT develops, I continue to be amazed at how Apple left the Magic Mouse with so much unrealized potential, but thankfully Andreas is taking up their slack.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I knew about BTT but haven't tried it since one of the much earlier releases that didn't really include functionality I wanted. But the latest (0.349 according to its own SW update) is awesome. I've got 3 finger click for middle button and changed swipes to actually change the friggin' tracks in iTunes. Very nice. Also is it me or does it "fix" the mouse acceleration to be more like the Mighty Mouse (I haven't been paying attention to the app, so...)?

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
My Magic Mouse is so pimp right now.

Here are my triggers. Post yours too! :)

--

Global:
3 finger swipe up = show desktop
3 finger swipe down = Spaces
3 finger swipe right = Expose
2 finger swipe down = Quit (command-Q)
2 finger swipe up = Close Window (command-W)

QuickTime X/VLC
3 finger click = full screen

Safari:
3 finger click = new tab
TipTap left = switch tab (left direction)
TipTap right = switch tab (right direction)

:D

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
I hated the magic mouse when I first got it but now all these new features being added i friggin love this thing my life just got a whole lot easier

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The magic mouse is great. I was worried it would be uncomfortable - but definitely not. Having a BT mouse again is good, I don't have to use a USB port.

I'm glad I purchased it - worth the wait.

The basic functionality of the mouse is good.. but... BetterTouchTool ( BTT) extends functionality.

BTT is being updated every day, albeit in various variants of stability - one version could be great , then next DOA - its basically alpha. But still, good, worth trying.

The developer is very responsive ( so much so, I wonder if he has a day job :D)

I don't understand why Apple didn't include more gestures, the mouse is capable of more.

It will be interesting to see what happens in USB overdrive and steer mouse.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I've downloaded BTT and am running 10.6.2. When I double click on the application nothing happens. The first time I did it, I was asked a question about multi-touch pad. After that, nothing at all.

Is there a trick I'm unaware of?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see that it puts an icon in on the Apple bar.

jasonwilldermoo

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
BTT with the MM is the best thing since sliced bread. I barely have to move my hand any more. I would happily pay for this app.:D

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
Has anyone had a problem with the settings of BTT when switching users?

I purchased a Magic Mouse yesterday and then installed BTT. Great application that really makes the MM a wonder to use. However, when switching users, I find that I can no longer scroll on web pages.

I've looked at the settings under both users and don't see anything that would make this occur. Switching back to the original user, and all is well again with the MM.

Thoughts or ideas?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The magic mouse is great. I was worried it would be uncomfortable - but definitely not. Having a BT mouse again is good, I don't have to use a USB port.

I'm glad I purchased it - worth the wait.

The basic functionality of the mouse is good.. but... BetterTouchTool ( BTT) extends functionality.

BTT is being updated every day, albeit in various variants of stability - one version could be great , then next DOA - its basically alpha. But still, good, worth trying.

The developer is very responsive ( so much so, I wonder if he has a day job :D)

I don't understand why Apple didn't include more gestures, the mouse is capable of more.

It will be interesting to see what happens in USB overdrive and steer mouse.

I paid for steer mouse 10 days prior to the release of the MM. 20 days from purchase I bought the MM and found steermouse had no plans just yet for the MM because they didn't quite have the development tools or whatever the case was. That said, BTT is the way to go. Even though I paid for another app I would gladly donate to the dev for this if I knew where (hint hint Fuzzi). I say, let this guy profit off of Apple's shortcomings. They often seem to want to handicap their customers. We pay a premium for their product that functions halfway or in the case of the MM about 5% of the way.

I thank BTT as I found it in another thread and when I tried to download the other app I got confused. BTT is much more user friendly.

Scallywag I am with you. I cannot even get the tip tap left and right to function let alone find out how to switch tabs.

Scallywag

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
NYC
I paid for steer mouse 10 days prior to the release of the MM. 20 days from purchase I bought the MM and found steermouse had no plans just yet for the MM because they didn't quite have the development tools or whatever the case was. That said, BTT is the way to go. Even though I paid for another app I would gladly donate to the dev for this if I knew where (hint hint Fuzzi). I say, let this guy profit off of Apple's shortcomings. They often seem to want to handicap their customers. We pay a premium for their product that functions halfway or in the case of the MM about 5% of the way.

I thank BTT as I found it in another thread and when I tried to download the other app I got confused. BTT is much more user friendly.

I think that Apple knew that 3rd party developers would quickly come up with this kind of software for the magic mouse. This is easy for them to put out there, but it could be confusing to those looking for their Mac to "just work." So let a 3rd party developer do it. That way Apple won't have to deal with all the people confused by such functionality...and there would be a lot of them.
In this case Apple gives us baby steps, and the community of developers will give us the leaps and jumps.

I think this is good.

stoplis

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
I absolutely love this program, the amount of new and unique gestures are very useful. The only other one I think is missing is rotation.
Like many people have already said, why couldn't apple include these to start with.
Keep up the good work!

BTW to setup the commands for safari, setup as these keyboard controls (some don't work if text boxes are selected).
Tab Left - cmd + shift + left
Tab Right - cmd + shift + left
New Tab - cmd + t
Top of web page - shift + up
Bottom of web page - shift + down

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
How did you set these commands??? I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks!

Just click "+" in the right hand corner (middle part) to add a gesture. Choose what gesture, then choose the shortcut (aka Expose, Spaces, etc, it's in the list).

I just added 3-finger swipe right as Expose, loving this...also there's now pinch zoom (command +), which is incredibly useful in Photoshop, Preview, etc...:D
Maybe rotation soon?!

Scallywag I am with you. I cannot even get the tip tap left and right to function let alone find out how to switch tabs.

Regarding tip tap...to switch tabs, set Tip Tap Left to Command Shift <- (left arrow key) and vice versa for Tip Tap Right.

It's become MUCH MUCH more reliable in the recent builds, constant updates, and it's really a treat to use now. :)

kreidel

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
Pretty cool stuff for sure.

I would also like to see the ability to adjust acceleration or disable it completely.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
http://blog.boastr.net/?p=801

Today I’ll try to implement a feature which could make some gestures more natural. E.g. if you trigger expose by a two finger swipe down you may want to dismiss expose by a two finger swipe up even if the two finger swipe up is assigned to an other action.

So e.g.

two finger swipe down => expose
two finger swipe up => dismiss expose
two finger swipe up => show desktop
two finger swipe down => dismiss desktop

I love this guy. :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I just added 3-finger swipe right as Expose, loving this...also there's now pinch zoom (command +), which is incredibly useful in Photoshop, Preview, etc...:D
Maybe rotation soon?!

Regarding tip tap...to switch tabs, set Tip Tap Left to Command Shift <- (left arrow key) and vice versa for Tip Tap Right.

It's become MUCH MUCH more reliable in the recent builds, constant updates, and it's really a treat to use now. :)

Thank you. I'm going to update and try again because tip tap was less than responsive for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.