Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kidman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2006
I was wondering if anyone here could point me to the right direction to getting started with iPhone app development. I have always been interested in doing it, however, I've never really found a good complete beginner's guide. I have nooooo coding knowledge whatsoever (except for HTML, I guess) so I would be really starting from scratch.

If any of you has any tips, sites, books, for a complete noob, I would highly appreciate it!

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
Objective-C, Cocoa, xCode explained this is a short discription of what each or these terms are, I think most people new to programming would be mixed up especially when there are books only for Cocoa or xCode.

the book that I recommend is "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" it does NOT assume you have ANY background on programming, it only teaches you the parts of C that you need, it also teaches you simple iPhone SDK.

tips for learning: be patient, you don't have to memorize things such as the deferent ways to call deferent types of data, with these things you can always go back and check it out from the internet or the book (your not in an exam lol).

The most important thing is to do the examples, play around with them, change values and if you have a problem look it up.

Hope this helps.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Learn to program first, in some language other than Objective C. XCode is not an optimal environment for beginning programming.

If you must start out with iPhone stuff, I recommend starting out doing some small Javascript web apps for iPhone Safari. A much more forgiving environment for learning to code. You can even learn OOP concepts with Javascript.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.