Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olimits7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is an iPhone app that lets you set to a certain FM station in your car and then allows you to play the songs from your iPhone??

Similar to how iTrip works, but without having to use the actual iTrip add-on hardware...

Thank you,

olimits7

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
No the fm transmitter in the iPhone is disabled and not going to change any time soon.

KingHuds

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
Because its an FM receiver...not a transmitter, so it's impossible to enable this capabaility, though it is possible for them to enable the iPhone to receive FM radio.

Badfoot

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
London, UK
Because its an FM receiver...not a transmitter, so it's impossible to enable this capabaility, though it is possible for them to enable the iPhone to receive FM radio.

I know about the FM receiver capability, I have even seen the demo shown on UK TV a little while ago. But I'm sure I read somewhere that the iPhone also has the hardware capability to transmit music on the FM band for music streaming to car radios etc. Might have been one of the many rumors though.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
As of right now, there is no software-based way to do this. If you want to play music through your car's stereo, you'll have to get an FM transmitter.

Or if you want better sound, go to Best Buy and have them install and iPod dock in your car. Costs around $60.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I know about the FM receiver capability, I have even seen the demo shown on UK TV a little while ago. But I'm sure I read somewhere that the iPhone also has the hardware capability to transmit music on the FM band for music streaming to car radios etc. Might have been one of the many rumors though.

Wasn't a rumor it was a fact the 3gs's radio chip has the ability to receive and send. The soonest I see it being enabled is when the 4g comes out just to add a little longevity to the 3gs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.