Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A couple of years ago, a company called Axiotron announced an aftermarket modification for the MacBook that converted the Apple laptop into a tablet. The modification remains for sale at $699 and takes a stock MacBook, removes the keyboard and screen, and adds a Wacom pen-based screen to give the device a tablet form factor.

030412-tab2.jpg

Axiotron Modbook
Axiotron originally began marketing the devices as a "TabletMac" as referenced in this 2007 press release and filed a trademark for the term. Sometime in the past year, however, the trademark was transferred from Axiotron to Apple, and Apple is now listed as the owner of the trademark.

035635-tabletmac_500.jpg

Transfer of ownership may not mean Apple has plans on using the term. Apple may have simply contested the trademark due to the potential for confusion between "TabletMac" and their own trademarks. But now Apple could potentially release a product called the TabletMac, and given the overwhelming number of reports of an Apple-branded tablet device, it certainly raises that question.

Still, we're not so sure Apple would really use this term for the rumored device, as the most recent reports have suggested that Apple's rumored tablet will be running a version of iPhone OS rather than Mac OS. It also seems likely that Apple would choose a platform agnostic name if the device was targeted at the broad consumer market.

Article Link: Apple Takes Control of 'TabletMac' Trademark

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Similar thing happened with iPhone a few months before release.

Hopefully not too long to wait now!

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I just wish they would officially announce it before the end of the year. I made a hundred dollar bet saying they would. LOL

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
I just wish they would officially announce it before the end of the year. I made a hundred dollar bet saying they would. LOL

I guess you could consider that money lost .. if they would want to announce it this year .. it would have happened by now .. now point in announcing something in the middle of the holiday shopping ..

I am with you though .. I wish they would announce it so these pointless rumors would go away ..

T.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I hope 2010 will finally bring the rumored tablet to existence

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
At least this story doesn't speculate that the tablet will cost less than a MacBook
when it needs more technology (aka higher cost than MacBook).

I hope not after they announced no new products this year.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Clearly just a standard trademark dispute, resolved by Apple taking ownership of the trademark.

agreed.... there are many trademark, copyright and patent disputes that Apple has dealt with in the past. I have not kept tally but many of the trademark and patent issues have never seen the light of day in the form of an actual finished consumer product. This is more likely Apple protecting its own turf and possible future interests. Apple legal has guidelines on trademark and copyright issues. http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html

I personally don't like the sound of "TabletMac" and don't think it would be used but it obviously infringes upon Apple legal guidelines. Axiotron and Apple probably came to an amicable if not forced resolution to the matter.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I think MacBook will become the tablets name and all current macbooks will become macbookpro. iPad sounds more like a gaming device. ;) The 'book' part will help sell it as an ereader.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
You can see the TabletMac in use on the SyFy (ugh) show Sanctuary. They have several of them in use on the show.

I bet the tablet Mac will be called iPad.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
TabletMac sounds just about as stupid as iTouch.

I hope they market it better than that.

MacBook Touch?

dogzilla

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Interestingly, noone is considering the possibility that there might be more than one model of tablet from Apple with differing capabilities.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
"TabletMac" is definitely a possibility, especially considering the fact that Jobs said a while back he wants the name "Mac" in all their computer products.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
I dont think apple will name it tabletmac, its just not apple...

Speaking for the name macbook touch I think it would be cool if the tablet had a flip back lid, just something light, like a notepad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.