Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaygeeizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
I was listening to music on thee speaker.

When i hit the home button, it wouldnt take me to the home screen.

I kept clicking the home, but all it gave me was the little thingy that pops up for music.

I could still tap everything in the iphone thing. But stupid me, i thought i could stop it by taking a snapshot.

I did so, and baam stuck white screen with music playing (a rather odd song might i add).

So i got my macbook air and tried to solve it by restoring it, but it said the iphone update server cannot be contacted. I tried again this morning...

and it extracted the software, but said this iphone could ot be synced. an unknown error occured (-19).

Please help, it will be gladly appreciated.

squeakyclutch

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Westwood, CA
I experienced the white screen of death about two weeks ago, and I freaked out!

I tried to reset by holding down the power + home buttons, but this seemed to have no effect.

Inadvertantly, I held down the power and home buttons for a couple of minutes while I was reading something on my laptop, and my iphone did reboot. I must have held the buttons for at least 5 minutes.

In retrospect, I should have gotten my receipt and gone down to the apple store to either get a replacement or an apple guy to fix it.

Nevertheless, after two weeks of use, my iphone is fine, haven't experienced the white screen since.

jaygeeizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
ahhh

me too. I guess i just drained the battery, and it works now, and its charging.

shouldve done the same thing to get the 3g.

really.

thanks a LOT for your help.

it wasnt help at the time, but im glad someone actually REPLIED here.

BreenyFrancis

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
Thank you

LOL it is soo funny the exact thing happened to me jay, i took a picture but thank you so much gook i held down the off and home button,
i had to register up so i could say THANK YOU TO BOTH OF YOU!
GOD BLESS YOU!
x:)

cushita

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2009
with greatest gratitude

i had the EXACT same problem....it also put the phone into white screen after i took a snapshot of it lol. now the white screen is gone after following the instructions on this thread. Thank you very much!!

i didn't want to take a chance by demanding for a replacement because what if u get an even worse product? :( Mine has a few problems now and then but it still pretty much works fine. Unlike some other that i've heard about...

annadoe

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
I must've just drained my battery... I plugged it in to the computer to recharge, then checked an hour or two later... and when I tried to use the home button nothing happened. The power button gave me the white screen. Very scary, but this was very helpful. I plugged in to the wall, held down the power & home buttons together for ~5 sec, and then got a black screen with an apple on it. I switched connections to the computer, and my phone home screen re-appeared. Magic. Thanks all.

stork75

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
I dropped my phone yesterday and was presented by the white screen.
I went direct to the Apple store and they fixed it for me (under warranty) within ten minutes.
Make sure you make an appointment via Genius bar on their website.
Don't bother going direct to your phone provider, they most likely stuff you around and you won't see your phone for weeks.

MacAlinVA

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
thank you

Thank you so much for this post. I have only had my iPhone for a little over 24 hours and I let the battery drain. Got the white screen of death.

While the screen was white, it would play music per my voice command.

I held the home and power button, as you suggested, and it worked. All my stuff is still there!

I found your thread through google, (though strangely not through MacRumors search, so I am so glad I found the right thread). I actually registered for this site just now, due to this incident and great help.

Thank you so much. I was so bummed thinking I would have to take my most favorite toy back.

jayleen

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
Inadvertantly, I held down the power and home buttons for a couple of minutes while I was reading something on my laptop, and my iphone did reboot. I must have held the buttons for at least 5 minutes.

After nothing else working, this is the only thing I read that solved the problem for me. Thank you for posting this! (I did not even have to do it for five minutes; only about a minute.)

TBallard

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
Lifesavers

Thank you guys sooo much!
I had a freak-out. I am a waitress and had my iphone in my apron today which one of my lovely customers drenched with sweet tea. I thought I saved it in time but later got home and the screen went totally white. I was SO afraid I had broken this iphone which I JUST replaced not even two months ago. LUCKILY I had just ran the battery to low and using your instructions I held the POWER+HOMEKEY and "TA-DA!" It came back to life! THANK YOU

jgelo

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
white screen

my iphone fall on the floor. i tried to turn it on. i restarted it. the screen was white and it was turning off. i tried to restore it but some error occured. i really don*t now what to do. please, HELP ME:confused::confused::confused::confused:

fsoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
white screen fix (if it's caused by heat)

When I leave my 3G iphone out in the sun or in my car, or even on a super-hot day in my pocket, it goes into white-screen mode (phone still functioning but white screen, reset and sync didn't help). If it doesn't come back after a little while, the fix I found (which I've used several times now) is to stick it in a fridge or freezer for a few minutes. It comes back to life without any trouble at all. My suspicion is that there is a temperature sensitive part in the display electronics that locks up once it gets overheated.

If you leave it too long it may inactivate (once I left it in a -20degC freezer for a few hours) but when you let it come back to room temp it is ok.

natzx7

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
I had this problem. Left the phone in sun for about 30 minutes and I could not get rid of the white screen. I even tried the fridge trick. I was syncing the phone to back up before going to the istore, and got my screen back.

electronicgal

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2010
thank you...great help!!!!

:) thank you, your post was such a big help....:)

I tried to reset by holding down the power + home buttons, but this seemed to have no effect.

In retrospect, I should have gotten my receipt and gone down to the apple store to either get a replacement or an apple guy to fix it.

Nevertheless, after two weeks of use, my iphone is fine, haven't experienced the white screen since.

electronicgal

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2010
this will help you...try it :)

Originally Posted by squeakyclutch

my iphone fall on the floor. i tried to turn it on. i restarted it. the screen was white and it was turning off. i tried to restore it but some error occured. i really don*t now what to do. please, HELP ME:confused::confused::confused::confused:

kasi29

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2011
Same exact thing happened to me. I dropped my phone very lightly on the table and the screen went white.
I tried holding down the home+power buttons for a while but nothing worked. I also tried to connect it to the computer but that did not do anything either.
So I held down the home+power button and then while still holding the home button I let go of the power button and as soon as I did that my screen went back to normal. I was really surprised that it worked but for some reason it did.
Im so relieved now! Phiew!

Zeppie74

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Thank you guys SO MUCH!! I replaced the battery last night, and had the white screen. thought I was gonna have to bring it in to be fixed. I signed up on this site, just to express how grateful I am that you all found a solution!!

purseshoppin

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
White Screen but can still see shadows of my apps

I have tried to reboot my phone several times the way it has been suggested, but it hasn't worked. I am currently trying to run down my battery to see if after that it will go back to normal. In any case...I can still see the shadows of my apps, my phone still works, it's just whited out...Ever seen this before and does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this so I can stop stressing?????

Brokenipodv.v

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
my ipod wont fix !

Ive tried everything ! My ipod will not fix . So the screen is white , when i hold the home button & power button the screen comes back but as soon as i let go it turns back to white or it turns like gray and stuff . I dont know what to do . I cant take it back to the store cuz my year is up . It might just be done but i was wondering if anyone could like walk me through whatever i could do or something . PLEASEE HELP ! iM DESPERATE V.V

WALMART GREETER

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
iPhone 4 Displays White Screen, Negative Film-Like Display

After already rebooting phone several times, either with the power button itself or using the combination of the home button and power button, to no avail, I had contacted an Apple rep about this issue and got it resolved doing the following:

• Go into Settings
  • Go into General
  • Go into Accessibility
  • and where it says "White on Black", swipe the switch from ON to OFF

This worked. Now, how this got like this in the first place is beyond me because this insane feature happened all by itself without my doing anything... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.