Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I'd like to get a camera for my father to use with his eMac. He has 5 great-grandchildren now and they are so scattered across the country. He would love to talk to them (so they can see him) but I don't know of a camera that is compatible with his old eMac. Anyone know of one that isn't expensive?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Your father's eMac should have Firewire (35MB/s) which is much faster than USB 1.1 (1.2 MB/s), so a Firewire iSight camera will work better.
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iSight-FireWire-Computers-M8817LL/dp/B0000AKACN

4181FM5Q6XL._SS400_.jpg

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
USB 1.1 is going to seriously limit your choices for a webcam. The data throughput is just too low for any kind of acceptable frame rate.

As spinnerlys suggested, your best bet would probably be an Apple iSight with Firewire, but even used these go for $129+. Not exactly inexpensive.

If your father is serious about video chat, he should at least consider getting a more up to date computer. Even a secondhand G5 iMac (with built in iSight) would be a much better choice for video chat than an eMac

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Thanks to all!

Firewire seems to make more sense. I will check into that. Thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.