Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calgecko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
I have an iMac in my office, and my Macbook in the living room... Sometimes I like to work on my photos on the Macbook, other times I like to work on them on the iMac... but that leaves me with different libraries on different computers. I'm curious if there's a way to share the same library between computers.. ? Also I'm not really sure what the 'Vault' is for.. .why would I save albums to the 'vault' instead of just leaving them in the regular library?
I did try something the other day... I moved the library file to a shared folder on the iMac, and accessed it from the Macbook, through my wireless network, but it was way too slow.. all my images are in RAW format, so they're huge files and took forever to edit using this method. Also, it ended up corrupting the thumbnail views, and I ended up starting from scratch anyways, which undid all the work I had done.

Also - what's the best way (if any) to combine two different Aperture Libraries into one?

Thanks

Captpegleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
I'm looking for the answer to the exact same question. I can tell you that Aperture doesn't like a "network" solution. And I've also tried putting the masters on my Drobo but that doesn't work either. There should be a simple answer but it's not obvious to me. Evidently you can have multiple libraries but not shared libraries. Maybe the next version of Aperture will address this.
I had hoped to use the Drobo Share as a server for my library for both machines but now it looks to like the answer is to forget that and use the MBP for some tethered shooting and do all my editing and archiving on the desk top. Time Machine also doesn't like networks.

modular

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
I use aperture between 2 computers (home g5 and work macpro). The way I do it is using an external harddrive. In apertures settings, just point the library to your external hdd. In this way both librarys are identical. After doing a shoot, I can transfer all my files using aperture at home to import all my pictures from the camera. Then the next day at work I can open up aperture and start editing right away.

Vel

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
I use aperture between 2 computers (home g5 and work macpro). The way I do it is using an external harddrive. In apertures settings, just point the library to your external hdd. In this way both librarys are identical. After doing a shoot, I can transfer all my files using aperture at home to import all my pictures from the camera. Then the next day at work I can open up aperture and start editing right away.

Do you have any idea if this would work just as well using an external HDD plugged into an AEBS as I'm hoping to get one for Christmas. I understand I wouldn't be able to open Aperture on both systems (and make adjustments) but that wouldn't be an issue as I'm the only user of both machines.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I use an external drive that contains the Aperture Library. I simply plug it into the machine that I want to use and the entire library is there and ready to go. It also means any changes I make don't have to be copied etc. as used to be the case with my old ChronoSync setup.

Vel, it won't work well. Aperture doesn't like networks and you'll find it really slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.