Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goldru5h

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
I downloaded a movie file off the internet. The movie was in Avi format. I want to burn this movie to a DVD-R that will play in my xbox 360 and my DVD player.

The only program I have so far is iDVD. Which by my understanding is used to author the movie.

So do I need a program to convert avi to another format? and If so what format? and are there any programs that will do this for free?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
AVI is a codec and DVD is a media. MPEG2 is what you'd see on a playable DVD. Toast Titanium should be good for this or google free avi to dvd converters mac and see what happens.

Goldru5h

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
So is this what I have to do.

- Convert my AVI file to MPEG2
- inport into iDVD, where I author and then burn

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
I would use MPEG Streamclip from http://www.squared5.com to change the container from avi to mov. Once you open the file in the program you use "save as" (if I remember correctly) it should only take a few seconds (depending on the size of the file) as it is just writing out the video data into a new container. If it takes "ages" then most likely you have selected the wrong option to save and it is actually re-encoding the data. Once saved iDVD will be able to access the file and render the appropriate mpeg2 data.

Macs do not like mpeg2 files unless you have purchased the add on from Apple. Also you do not want to re-encode any more than you need to.

All the best
Andrew W.

seb-opp

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
London/Norwich
There are other ways to play movies on the xbox360. Have you heard of an app called Connect360? if you have your xbox connected to your network, you can stream movies from your mac to it. That would mean you don't need to use up DVDs for each movie.

Also, if you NEED to have it on DVD, it might work as a data DVD. I havn't tried this, but if you have lots of discs and don't mind doing this as an experiment then try it. If it works it will make the whole process quicker in future:

Try burning the AVI file straight onto the dvd using a burn folder in Mac OS. Hopefully the Xbox will be able to play it like this, if it works it would be like plugging in a hard drive. Also, if it works you would be able to put more than one movie on each disc.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
So is this what I have to do.

- Convert my AVI file to MPEG2
- inport into iDVD, where I author and then burn

I've burnt AVIs in iDVD. You can do a option for no menu or anything and just to play the AVI. However, the AVI was not DivX; which I am thinking you may have if you "downloaded a movie off the internet" but I don't know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.