Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickarate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
I have been a long time Verizon subscriber who has had one too many customer relations issues with the Big V and am looking to get myself and my family iPhones. I've done the research on price, and AT&T gives me a much better deal than Verizon... even though it is more feature packed.

My question is, would you guys mind rating your experience in the LA, Baltimore, and DC area? AT&T has taken a lot of heat recently, but if the phone works in those three markets, I would be more than happy.

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. If anyone could rate their service on Catalina Island (as I vacation there quite a bit) that would be wonderful.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Service in LA is awful. My mother lives there and I never enjoy my iPhone when I visit her unless I'm connected to her WiFi network.

I haven't been in Washington DC or Baltimore recently to be able to comment on AT&T coverage in these areas, though it was decent when I lived there about 10 years ago. :p

nickarate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Well that's a little disconcerting news (as I live full-time in L.A.), but thank you for the reply. :(

99MustangGTman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2008
Germantown MD/ Columbus OH
Never been to LA so I can't tell you, but coverage in DC and Baltimore is pretty good. I always have full coverage around those areas. I actually live in Germantown, which is a suburb in the DC metro area and sometimes I don't get full bars, which can cause me to have to resend text messages 2-3 times because they won't go through.

nickarate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Thanks guys.... that does ease some of my fears, but if coverage in L.A. isn't at least decent, it has to be a no go for me (as I'm sure you understand).

yelnref

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
I live in LA in the hills and work out of Hollywood. Coverage is fine for me.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
The problem with saying that AT&T service in LA is bad is that "LA" covers a HUGE geographical area. As with most major cities and most carriers, it really depends upon specifically WHERE you are.
For example, in most of the part of LA I frequent (Pasadena, San Gabriel, San Fernando, Santa Clarita Valleys), my coverage is good. I also have good coverage in the South Bay at the beach. There are some other LA locations where it is spotty.
As for Catalina, in Avalon, I have not experienced any problems with cell signal or coverage. And for much of the year, I am there once a month, so you can take that into consideration.
I live in LA 1/2 the week and in the DC area the other half. (don't ask!) I find my coverage in DC a bit more problematic and note that there is scant AT&T coverage in the DC Metro system.
But look, I used to have a different carrier and my service with that carrier was the same way- some spots were great and some not so great.
And without re-igniting the ATT-Verizon flame wars, the GF (who is on Verizon) and I can be in the same condo, and there are times when I call her and it rings on my end, not on hers and eventually goes to her voice-mail.
So, YMMV.:cool:

nickarate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Well that is significantly more reassuring. I live in literally downtown L.A. but also frequent Pasadena/San Marino area. Sounds like those work well from what you guys are saying. I'm also happy to hear that Avalon works well (it wasn't critical but it is a perk.

I gotta agree with you on Verizon though; my experience has been good, not great with them. Last night when talking to my GF it cut out 3 times when I supposedly had full coverage.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you can, I'd get a GoPhone and try out the service; the only drawback of course is the GoPhone has slightly less coverage than the regular post-paid plans for the iPhone (basically you can't roam on partner networks with the GoPhone). If you can get good enough signal with your test device, then you will have gauged a good idea of the reception you should be expecting from AT&T in your area. Again, if the reception on the trial is satisfactory, the coverage on the post-paid plan will only be better.

nickarate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
If you can, I'd get a GoPhone and try out the service; the only drawback of course is the GoPhone has slightly less coverage than the regular post-paid plans for the iPhone (basically you can't roam on partner networks with the GoPhone). If you can get good enough signal with your test device, then you will have gauged a good idea of the reception you should be expecting from AT&T in your area. Again, if the reception on the trial is satisfactory, the coverage on the post-paid plan will only be better.

That is a really good idea! I'll have to give it a shot.

THanks to all of you. I really appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.