Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anasztasia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
As the tittle suggests, i changed my ssh password and now i forgot what it is, am i in deep ****? what can i do to recover/reset it?

Anasztasia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
i read somewhere that reinstalling SSH does nothing to reset the password, and as for complete restore and reJB i guess that would be my very last step when all else fails :(

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
The password is not an 'SSH' password. It is the password for the 'root' user account in in the iPhoneOS (which is basically BSD). If you truly cannot remember it, then the only thing to do is restore your phone.

iphonegeek786

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
When you change the passwrd, your changing the password for the whole, the core files of it. The password is not only used for ssh.

ckong

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009

Interesting video. It implies if you have a 3rd party utility on the iPhone that has root access already (in this case iCommander), then you should be able to set permissions on the /private/etc/master.passwd file for all to read/write (0666).

I just checked and I can access this file with iFile, and edit it...all without knowing the root password. (It least I think I can save it...I hit 'edit' then 'cancel' so I didn't mess myself up.)

So...the old adage is true. You can break in...so long as you have physical access.

On Linux, passwords are normally kept in or linked from the /etc/passwd file. It's interesting this video points you to the /private/etc/master.passwd file. There's also a /private/etc/passwd file there too. Before you start hacking away, best to backup any files you're going to edit to a subdirectory. Then, just duplicate the "mobile" accounts password to the "root" over the root password and you should be good to go. If it doesn't work, copy back the file you just mucked with and try another.

Gotta love iFile. Worth the $4 I paid for it. :)

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
can't you just download mobile terminal and use the passwd command to change the password?

ckong

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
can't you just download mobile terminal and use the passwd command to change the password?

You can...in part.

Using MobileTerminal logs you with the username "mobile". You'd normally only have ReadOnly rights to the password file.

That's what the video in the link above was allowing. Using iCommander, the access rights to the master.passwd file were changed so anybody could write to the file.

So...a combination of the two programs allows you to hack in.

But...I'm pretty sure this can all be accomplished with just iFile as it seems to have root access to the phone and can edit files directly. (Of course, I haven't ever tested this as I try not to forget my 'root' password. ;) )

DazBrowne

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
The morel of the story is just have one super good password for every thing like mine (78*jsuutyw33) nobody will ever guess that! :D

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
The morel of the story is just have one super good password for every thing like mine (78*jsuutyw33) nobody will ever guess that! :D

Damn, you were kidding! :)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-12-06 at 12.51.14 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-12-06 at 12.51.14 PM.png
    20 KB · Views: 739

iCROLT

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2009
i figured it out!

i discovered the EASIEST way to get the password back to alpine

and you can do it in less than 5 minutes! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzDB52lKlc8

so, please tell everyone about the video, and comment, subscribe if you have youtube account :D

thanks

btw. hope this helps :D

PM me about your success

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.