Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmatter23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Hello,

The LCD screen on my 13" Macbook was recently cracked by accident and I took it upon myself to order a replacement screen and replace it myself.

Following online instructions, I disassembled the laptop and installed the new screen. After attaching the correct connections and replacing most of the screws that attach the screen to the chassis, I checked to see if it was working. It was, everything was beautiful.

The only thing left was to re-attach the plastic hinge that covers the inverter. This was a bit tough and it took a number of small prying tools and a bit of time. I was as careful as possible, but after reattaching it and turning on the computer, the screen no longer worked. I assumed that I must have damaged the inverter when reattaching the hinge, so I ordered a replacement. That did not fix the problem. I've plugged the computer into an external display, and that works fine, so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the logicboard or its connections. I also tried reconnecting the old, cracked LCD screen (which at had at one time displayed at least a distorted image), but that now displays nothing.

I've reset the PRAM and reset the power management by removing the power cord and battery and then holding in the power button.

Does anyone know what might be wrong with it and what might be done to solve this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

madmatter23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "toplid." I removed the lcd from the white plastic backing of the macbook in order to connect the cables and re-mount the screen.

I used the instructions listed here.

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
OK, this procedure makes it tough to get the clutch cover off and back on. You may have damaged the the inverter cable or unplugged the inverter cable (left side hinge while lid is open) from the logic board. You may need to remove the topcase (keyboard) and check to make sure the inverter cable is still connected to the logic board.

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
For troubleshooting, it would help to differentiate between these two situations:
• Situation 1: Your MacBook may have no video AND no backlight.
• Situation 2: Alternatively, your MacBook may have video, but no backlight. Shine a flashlight on the display to see if you can see something on the display.

In situation 1, your LVDS cable may be damaged.
In situation 2, your inverter cable may be damaged.
In either situation, the main logic board may be damaged. Fortunately, Apple offers a $280 flat-rate repair if the computer has no signs of abuse of accidental damage.

Unfortunately, DIY MacBook LCD replacements aren't all that easy.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
What did this screen replacement cost you?

I have a guy selling me a 13" mac aluminum its like 2 months old with a cracked screen.

Hes asking 300$ for it, im not sure if its something thats worth buying to replace the screen on cost wise.

Can anyone advice me?

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
These are two different machines entirely.

If you want to do the new machines, get a hold of a of a heat producing element better than a screwdriver, a good adhesive remover like butanone(acetone evaporates too quickly), a good new adhesive like 3M 465. You'll also need a dust filter for your room so when you reapply the new glass no particles get under it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.