Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

popgods

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I have a powebook g4 from around 04 or 05. It saw daily use for maybe a little over 2 years before I got a very nasty screen problem. It doesnt have dead pixels but rather a changing pattern of different colored squares that covers the entire screen. If I open a window it might be recognizable but very hard to read but if i move the window around it will become a solid block of color that doesnt go away until the window is closed. I got a desktop pc shortly after the occurrence and ended up just throwing the powerbook in my closet.

I recently thought I would look into it and see if it was fixable. I found some info somewhere saying I may be able to just hook it up to an external monitor and that could fix the problem if it was a display issue. So I bought the chord and hooked it up but as you can see in the attachment that the weird color squares and general pixilation just carries over to the monitor.

I have read that it could be a logic board problem but I have been unable to locate images that look anything like what I have.

Mac support over the phone said it sound like I needed an lcd screen replacement. But I have to wonder if the lcd is messed up why would my external monitor display the same problem? Any ideas what this could be?

All help is well appreciated.

Attachments

• mbps2.JPG
    mbps2.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 77
  • mbps3.JPG
    mbps3.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 39

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I don't know what powerbook you have... 12" 15" or 17" or what CPU speed, but you have a video card problem. The video cards are soldered on the logic board itself.

You could dismantle the pb and send the logic board in for repair.

it usually is a matter of the video card working its way out of the soldered connectors.

And it usually happened in the more 'bendable" and flexible iBooks, not the powerbooks, because the ibooks were more of a plastic carbon.

Also I think heat affected some 12" Powerbooks and their video cards.

There is a logic board repair place in Arizona somewhere, google around and email or call them.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
I have a powebook g4 from around 04 or 05. It saw daily use for maybe a little over 2 years before I got a very nasty screen problem. It doesnt have dead pixels but rather a changing pattern of different colored squares that covers the entire screen. If I open a window it might be recognizable but very hard to read but if i move the window around it will become a solid block of color that doesnt go away until the window is closed. I got a desktop pc shortly after the occurrence and ended up just throwing the powerbook in my closet.

I recently thought I would look into it and see if it was fixable. I found some info somewhere saying I may be able to just hook it up to an external monitor and that could fix the problem if it was a display issue. So I bought the chord and hooked it up but as you can see in the attachment that the weird color squares and general pixilation just carries over to the monitor.

I have read that it could be a logic board problem but I have been unable to locate images that look anything like what I have.

Mac support over the phone said it sound like I needed an lcd screen replacement. But I have to wonder if the lcd is messed up why would my external monitor display the same problem? Any ideas what this could be?

All help is well appreciated.

ITs the vid card

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.