Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I upgraded to Sow Leopard some time back. Recently took the 10.6.2 upgrade but to me it still feels as if the machine runs hotter in idle and under moderate load than it did with Leopard. Thinking about going back to Leopard.

What is your experiences with SL vs Leopard when it comes to heat?
Also battery life seems slightly worse to me is that also common?

Thanks

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I noticed more battery life in Snow Leopard, but I also did a full fresh install (used Disk Utility to format the disk) and did not restore a backup.

Heat was never an issue so I haven't even noticed it.

Gaijin de Moscu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
Geneva
For me, heat and fan noise were a major pain during 10.6 - 10.6.1; but 10.6.2 has totally fixed it for me. It has never been so cool and silent in it's long life - I have the very first revision 64 GB SSD one.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
Yes, I have a Rev.B 1.6GHz base spec
Snow Leopard is still running hotter than 10.5.x no matter I restore from a TM BkUp or a vanilla install

Battery life seems to be on par since 10.6.2 but I still feel it has lesser battery endurance

Overall as a mobile warrior, I am not impressed.:eek:

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
After reverting back to Leopard, I found the system to be running a tad cooler while running the same applications. The battery life has improved too. I'm around 2:30 Hours while running at full load, compared to 1:30-1:45 under Snow Leopard.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I will try it for a day or two more now that I have 6.2 but will probably revert back to Leopard during the week.

Can I restore the system as well from the TM backup or am I better off re instaling Leopard system and then restoring everything else from the TM backup?

Mycatisbigfoot

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
well i notice my computer runs the fans alot at night when the screen savor is on. but its not warm, but on batt its fine, but 10.6.2 is still a bit buggy as i have seen with porgrams as they take ages to load and a cold boot

OH sorry I thought this was a Mac book thread not mba, so so sorry

I just have the black mac book :)

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
I upgraded to Sow Leopard some time back. Recently took the 10.6.2 upgrade but to me it still feels as if the machine runs hotter in idle and under moderate load than it did with Leopard. Thinking about going back to Leopard.

What is your experiences with SL vs Leopard when it comes to heat?
Also battery life seems slightly worse to me is that also common?

Thanks

That was mostly due to a Flash issue that was fixed in Safari 4.0.4.

Shrek-Moscow

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2008
On my rev A I noticed that, after installing Snow Leopard, the fan remain on 6200 rpm for long time even after the CPU and the heat sink temps are back down under 60C.

It is annoying, after the peak of load temperatures decrease very fast, what is the reason to keep the fan running at max sapeed once they get back to 50-55 C (that's actually the temp range on which my MBA is working at low load and min fan speed with room temp of 22/23 C)?

How to decrease this kind of hysteresis of fan speed?

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
On my rev A I noticed that, after installing Snow Leopard, the fan remain on 6200 rpm for long time even after the CPU and the heat sink temps are back down under 60C.

It is annoying, after the peak of load temperatures decrease very fast, what is the reason to keep the fan running at max sapeed once they get back to 50-55 C (that's actually the temp range on which my MBA is working at low load and min fan speed with room temp of 22/23 C)?

How to decrease this kind of hysteresis of fan speed?

FanControl could help you in your situation. I use it myself.

Shrek-Moscow

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm using FanControl, but without big luck..
Now for example, my cpu is 90% idle, 600 Mhz (coolbook), 48 degree and fan is revving around 5000 rpm just because 40 minute ago temperature peaked 80 because of parallels that now is off.

Why the hell fan is so high if temp is so low? There's anything I could reset to try to see if things are getting better?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.