Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Just in the past three days, the card accepted at store.apple.com for 12 months 0% interest has changed names or companies. It used to be JUNIPER, and it now says Barclaycard.

The other day, we called an Apple store and asked them about the card, and they said they were in a transition and mentioned that you could use the card to make a purchase at the Apple store to qualify for the 12 months 0% interest. We are waiting for card approval, as we applied during this transition time.

I just thought I would point this out, as this transition happened kind of quietly! D

Also, does anyone remember being able to use the card at a retail store for 12 months 0% interest, or did it use to work only online?

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I'm a Juniper card holder and got an email about this a few weeks ago. The card has a great design (matte black with gloss black lettering), but after 3 years of having the card, I have not gotten a single credit line increase. :mad:

Hopefully Barclay will do a better job. It makes it difficult to pile up the iTunes reward points when I can only make small purchases with the card.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I think Juniper is a part of Barclay and is rebranding and possibly changing up the back end. I really do not know what is going on here!

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I don't know if Barclaycard is any different in the UK than it is in the US. But I've been with Barclaycard for years and has had no real problems with them. I have no idea if they are in anyway connected with Juniper.

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
This merger (or purchase) happened a while back. I have 2 Juniper cards (itunes and one other) and the online bill payment/managment site switched a few months ago. I had no problems what so ever the last 2 or 3 years with 1st juniper card and the iTunes card has also worked like I would expect it for 4 or 5 months I've had it.

I took advantage of the 12 months no interest for an online purchase, never tried it in the store.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Still waiting for approval. I am starting to really get agitated now !

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
How long did it take you guys to get approved? I applied on Monday and it's coming up on Friday. Grr.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
They really pissed me off during the approval process, but once I *finally* convinced them I'm who I am (I have *no* idea how they could confuse me with someone else - they have my SSN! Morons), but since then, all's good. I don't care about the limit because I have another credit card that I can use if I need to make a big purchase. The free $25 iTunes cards are awesome :)

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Still waiting for approval. I am starting to really get agitated now !

I would give them a call and see what the progress is. Sometimes an e-mail could be unsent or any number or reasons for you not to have received an answer.

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Yeah, they're taking forever. I just want the card to buy a new MBP then cancel it once it's paid. Grr.

Frankie.

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
Can you only use the Barclaycard at the Apple store or can I go to a local Bestbuy and buy my Mac with the Barclaycard there?

Frankie.

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
What I mean is this card AppleStore exclusive or is it typical credit card and I can go to Bestbuy to purchase my Mac with it?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This is a good find, especially since the juniper card was garbage.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-50...ed&type=k12&wosid=jF7aF6pwJlFw3pkdBadx1IwB2ln

Juniper is now Barclay. It was always Barclay's Bank that issued the credit. Juniper was just a name on the card. Same terms, same rates, same everything. The card is just now showing Barclay instead of Juniper.

What I mean is this card AppleStore exclusive or is it typical credit card and I can go to Bestbuy to purchase my Mac with it?

It is a regular credit card with a fairly high interest rate no matter your credit.
However, with some finagling you can get it down quite a bit ...

swamesp

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2009
Somewhere on Earth
I think I'm one of the group that received the approval result instantly.... :)

Cause,
They rejected my request as I did not have my credit score. mmmm at last I have got a credit card from a credit union and starting to build score.

Thanks & Regards,
Swami

Frankie.

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
How do you deposit money? They don't have any of these banks here in Texas that I've seen

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
How do you deposit money? They don't have any of these banks here in Texas that I've seen

This is not a bank card in the sense of a checking account. Your questions are also cause for me to believe that you should not apply for this card or any card. You appear to be young and uninformed about credit or just uninformed overall.

This is a real life credit card. Grown ups apply for the card, they're either granted or rejected for credit. If they're granted credit approval they will be given a limit on the card. The card comes in the mail and you then begin using it and paying it off each month or elect to let them bend you over and pay it off in installments. That is why this is called installment debt. You can charge up as much as the card lets you then make minimum monthly installments. You will soon pay off the card but the amount of money you would have paid would exceed the original purchase price for the item because they charge you interest.

You cannot deposit money into anything to give you a higher limit. If you want to do that then either open a bank account or apply for a secured credit card. Secured credit card limits are set by the amount of money you deposit.

The Barclay aka Juniper Visa is a credit card that Apple has agreed to endorse to allow people to buy now and pay later.

givingjane

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
Juniper is now Barclay. It was always Barclay's Bank that issued the credit. Juniper was just a name on the card. Same terms, same rates, same everything. The card is just now showing Barclay instead of Juniper.

It is a regular credit card with a fairly high interest rate no matter your credit.
However, with some finagling you can get it down quite a bit ...

Branskins said no interest, but you say high interest? Is it no interest for 12 months if you buy at the apple store?

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
A couple years ago I reported Apple to the Better Business Burrow. I applied for a loan for a new Mac from their site. It never said that what I was applying for was a credit card. I thought I was applying for the mac like you apply for a car loan. After a minute it came back and said “Congratulations, you qualified for accredit card from Juniper for $1500” and the card was going to be mailed to me. That was half the cost of the Mac and I did not want another CC. So I called the company and canceled the card the next day. It was not right for Apple/Juniper to trick people like that. You would never go for a car loan and qualify for 1/2 the car price.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
A couple years ago I reported Apple to the Better Business Burrow. I applied for a loan for a new Mac from their site. It never said that what I was applying for was a credit card. I thought I was applying for the mac like you apply for a car loan. After a minute it came back and said “Congratulations, you qualified for accredit card from Juniper for $1500” and the card was going to be mailed to me. That was half the cost of the Mac and I did not want another CC. So I called the company and canceled the card the next day. It was not right for Apple/Juniper to trick people like that. You would never go for a car loan and qualify for 1/2 the car price.

It's always been a credit card and has always been clear to me that it's a credit card you're applying for.

Regarding the car loan, yes that can happen. However, I agree they shouldn't have automatically processed your application if you couldn't get the full amount you were asking for.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
Branskins said no interest, but you say high interest? Is it no interest for 12 months if you buy at the apple store?

It says 12 months same as cash, which means if you pay it off within the first 12 months, you don't have to pay any interest, BUT if you pay it off >13 months, you then are responsible for the interest that accumulated during the first 12 months.

BikeSDP

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2006
Longmont, CO
I've got the Juniper iTunes card and used it to finance a MBP with 'X days same as cash' early last year. Now I am thinking of buying a desktop and would like to take advantage of a same as cash deal again. I assume I can just cancel the card and reapply for a new card to take advantage of that offer. I'd rather not cancel the card and you know how they are about cancellations--they always look for ways to persuade you to keep the card.

Anyone tried this?

u6crash

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2007
DeKalb, IL
I've got the Juniper iTunes card and used it to finance a MBP with 'X days same as cash' early last year. Now I am thinking of buying a desktop and would like to take advantage of a same as cash deal again. I assume I can just cancel the card and reapply for a new card to take advantage of that offer. I'd rather not cancel the card and you know how they are about cancellations--they always look for ways to persuade you to keep the card.

Anyone tried this?

To cancel a credit card only a year later and then reapply for another one immediately following is going to look awful on your credit report/score. I would advise against this. Odds are you won't be approved the second time around when they look and see you've just canceled a card.

I have two credit cards that I've had for years each as well as a line of credit at NewEgg. Even with my good credit score I hesitate to apply for the Barclay card to finance a new Apple, let alone getting one and canceling it following the first year.

hellojamie

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009
Texas
I've read a lot on the internet re: the Barclaycard, especially with the Apple shipping policies, so I called today before making my Macbook purchase to doublecheck that everything in my order would be counted toward the 12 months same-as-cash.

The customer service rep said that it had nothing to do with Apple's shipping- anything bought within the same day (though I'd stick to one apple.com session, to be safe) would be invoiced together, regardless of how Apple ships it. It doesn't matter if you buy software and the Mac and it ships separately, as long as they were bought together and the total is more than $900, it qualifies for the financing deal.

The Barclaycard.com website also has automatic payments, online bill pay, etc. So if you set it up to pull automatically from your debit card or whatever, there's really no reason you should ever miss payments or due dates and screw yourself over.

Apple financing may not be for everyone- I'm just buying now because my current laptop is on the fritz and I know I have refunds from the school coming in January to pay it off. But I just thought I'd share that Barclay was super helpful (mash 0 until you get a real person) and that it's not as scary as it sounds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.