Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entropymark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Logic board died last week in the iMac. Apple price for board is $900+labor.

I am getting a new iMac on Thursday:D, but I would like to be able to fix the old one so the kids can use it.

Question: Are there reasonably-reliable firms who deal in the boards, or is it just better to pick up a used G5, and use mine for spare parts?

Any place here in Austin, TX, would be great!

Note: I did try to see if there were similiar posts here, but did not find any. If this is wrong forum, let me know

Thanks!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Ebay's your best bet. You could maybe disassemble your machine and sell the individual parts on eBay, you could make a fair chunk of cash that way.

aldorande

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
that's actually a very good idea... or the opposite, keep just the part that works and replace the one that doesn't.

any idea of the price of each separately?

entropymark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
No luck on Ebay yet, only the older G5, or the G5 ALS boards. I'll just keep on it over time ands maybe get lucky.

Chalk this up as another obscure model purchase, next to my 1985 Mitsubishi Starion.....

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Yes, there are quality Mac logic board repair firms. However, shipping an iMac is difficult and expensive. If you don't have the original box for your machine, damage during shipment is very likely!

• Do you have your original shipping box?

• Where do you live? There may be a firm near you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.