Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agr5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Hi all,

I just upgraded my powerbook 1.5ghz g4 to 2 gb of ram. It runs multiply applications fine now. The only thing that I'm still disappointed with is when I am viewing videos on youtube or elsewhere my CPU maxes out and the video is all chopping.

I know it's old (6 years!) and I need a new computer (which I'm thinking of getting the 27" iMac i5) but I feel as if it should be able to view videos on youtube without being chopping and maxing out the CPU...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do (other than buying a new one)? :confused:

Thanks!

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
No, unfortunately, Flash just sucks and uses too much CPU. You could try using Click2flash, which has a setting to view Youtube videos as H.264 (so they load with the Quicktime plugin instead).

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Not the computer, flash sucks on all the Macs.

Blame Adobe for simply porting the app, and doing only the minimum needed to get it to work ... thus it likely is wasting CPU cycles.

agr5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Not the computer, flash sucks on all the Macs.

Blame Adobe for simply porting the app, and doing only the minimum needed to get it to work ... thus it likely is wasting CPU cycles.

So you're telling me that if I get a new iMac i5 that playing flash videos/games will still be a problem??

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
So you're telling me that if I get a new iMac i5 that playing flash videos/games will still be a problem??

It'll play, but you might still be complaining about Flash pegging your CPU at 40% or more.

Look around, some people still have problems even with the newer machine.

Though you can likely run Explorer or a Windows browser in WINE if you really care about flash FPS.

---

Though OS 10.6.2 seems to have fixed some issues that made the new Quads operate as slow as your PPC machine.

agr5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
It'll play, but you might still be complaining about Flash pegging your CPU at 40% or more.

Look around, some people still have problems even with the newer machine.

Though you can likely run Explorer or a Windows browser in WINE if you really care about flash FPS.

---

Though OS 10.6.2 seems to have fixed some issues that made the new Quads operate as slow as your PPC machine.

Well thats good I suppose... Thanks for the reply.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway

No, but flash uses more CPU power than it should!

When I view youtube HD content my MBP uses from 40-65% CPU power!

Then again the MBPs are at least 3-4 times faster than the fastest powerbook made

WotanAgain

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2009
What version of flash are you using?

I'm betting it's years out of date and that you've never updated it. Go download the latest 10.x version. You're probably using 9.x which is really really horrible. The 10.x, while it still uses more CPU than it should, is not nearly as bad as 9.x was.

agr5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
What version of flash are you using?

I'm betting it's years out of date and that you've never updated it. Go download the latest 10.x version. You're probably using 9.x which is really really horrible. The 10.x, while it still uses more CPU than it should, is not nearly as bad as 9.x was.

Thanks, I'll check if it is up to date...

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
You can try Flash 10.1 beta, if it supports PPC. (it looks like it doesn't)

Flash sucks!

agr5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
You can try Flash 10.1 beta, if it supports PPC. (it looks like it doesn't)

Flash sucks!

Yeah it does suck...and yeah the beta is only for intel macs. I did upgrade to Flash 10.something and I'm using click to flash. It does seem to make a difference.

1creator

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2009
I'm on a 13inch late 2009 MBP and the flash manages to suck more than 100% CPU and within seconds my CPU temp shoots up and the fans kick in. This isn't normal, I get that flash sucks, but more than 100%?

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I'm on a 13inch late 2009 MBP and the flash manages to suck more than 100% CPU and within seconds my CPU temp shoots up and the fans kick in. This isn't normal, I get that flash sucks, but more than 100%?

That's pretty much normal for Flash on macs, I think. Mine uses just over 100% watching an HD video on Youtube with Flash 10.1.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I have a PB G4 1.25Ghz 512 RAM and it's fine. I did install Flash 10.0 too. I did a clean install of it. The only time I find it choppy is when my internet connect is slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.