Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xtreambar

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2006
Washington, DC
My 5.5 year old 20gb iPod "classic" 4G finally bit the dust. The harddrive makes awful noises, it forgets what is on its HD, and it violently crashes about 15 seconds into a sync. It was a good 5.5 years and it only ended up costing me about ~$4.50/month when aggregated. I'm a piss poor graduate student, so I have no choice but to squeeze every last drop out of any piece of electronics.

I bit the bullet and ordered a new iPod 64GB touch that will be here tomorrow. Good prices on Amazon, eh? It's a good thing that I've been adding artwork patiently ever since the iPod Photo came out. Now, when I sync for the first time, most everything should look spiffy.

So, is there a market for busted iPod 4G's? Would I be able to sell it on eBay? It still turns on, which is saying something. I'd be thrilled if I could get ~$20 for it. What is a reasonable price for such an item?

siliconcowboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
So, is there a market for busted iPod 4G's? Would I be able to sell it on eBay? It still turns on, which is saying something. I'd be thrilled if I could get ~$20 for it. What is a reasonable price for such an item?

It's value largely depends upon its condition and what all it is coming with. 4G is pretty old so there is most likely not the biggest market for it. So putting it on eBay you're risking it not selling or not selling for much.

Presuming you had everything (charger/box/cable/headphones etc) you might get 12-15 out of it at one of those electronic trade in websites. Had you not already purchased your iPod touch I would have suggested you simply traded it in for the 10% discount that apple will give you for recycling it. That would have equated to $39 dollars off or so on a 64GB touch.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Just got my first iPod, a 5th gen Nano today. So far I'm loving it.

I'm digging mine, too. It's proved very versatile. Over 1000 songs (including extended trance songs and megamixes), about three dozen music videos, a heaping handful of Looney Tunes shorts for when my daughter gets fidgety, and I still have plenty of room for two feature films and at least three hours of video camera footage.

I've already used it to record video clips at an event at my daughter's school, as a proof of concept. It'll accompany me to Disney in a few weeks, and will be much easier to carry around than my old-school miniDV camcorder.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
As many of you probably are, I too am an iPod collector. It's hard to explain the feeling of getting a new iPod, eventhough you know there's no need for it:rolleyes:

...my iPhone is pretty much the only thing that gets use nowadays, but I still find myself trying to find a way to get the next one :D

Here's a thread to that you can creatively show your precious collection. I for one have my collection displayed as such...

3/21/08 EDIT: Some of you expressed interest in the stands my iPods are displayed on. I have some of these for sale if you see this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/446018/

3/22/08 EDIT: I've added a pic of my collection up to date and removed the previous picture.

in the picture it looks like that the mini doesn't has a screen...it looks pretty cool:D

btw nice collection and cute stands:)

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2009
I don't have a picture, but I know all of my iPods in the sequence I got them.

1. iPod Video 5th Generation: White (80GB)
2. iPod nano 3rd Generation: Product Red (8GB) - Gave to my dad
3. iPod touch 1st Generation: Black (16GB) - Was stolen :mad:
4. iPod touch 1st Generation: Black (16GB)
5. iPod nano 4th Generation: Black (16GB) - Gave to my brother
6. iPod shuffle 2nd Generation (clip): Product Red [right after release of 3rd generation] (1GB)
7. iPod shuffle 2nd Generation: Avon Special Edition Gold (1GB) - Gave to my mom as a birthday gift
8. iPod nano 5th Generation: Blue (16GB)

No more iPods for a while.....

Psykomaniaque

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2009
France
Thanks! But actually I am looking for the old iPod. But it's difficult to find there in good conditions.

My preferred is the iPod touch Coca-Cola.

(Sorry for my bad English)

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Thanks! But actually I am looking for the old iPod. But it's difficult to find there in good conditions.

My preferred is the iPod touch Coca-Cola.

(Sorry for my bad English)

I actually have a few older iPods. My prized possession is my sealed 1st Generation iPod from 2001. I will sell it one day for the right price!!:D

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
Note much a collector but since I buy and sell iPods/iPhones on a regular basis I did have (at one point) 40 iPod Touchs in my shop that were being worked on. If I had a picture of all of those it would show you how awesome it looks.

This thread is inspiring to show peoples respect for the iPod generation as a whole. I like the OP's first post with his iPods all on little stands.
I think one day those will be worth a hell of a lot of money if they're all fully working and in good condition.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
Here's my modest collection:

4196026613_e82d06e83e.jpg

I have:

a 1GB Shuffle 2G
a 16GB Nano 5G
a 60GB Classic 5G
a 32GB Touch 1G
a 32GB iPhone 3GS

Enjoy!

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
oops, I forgot one. My first iPod was a 20GB 3rd Gen. I really liked it, and used it like mad, but it's been retired. Like we say, we don't buy iPods to use, but to collect!

Here they are all laid out in order of purchase:
4198329659_3fbfe9a94c.jpg

rabaanee

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
Not entirely sure what happened to my original picture. My webhost was having some problems so maybe they restored to a backup or something, but alas a new picture as arrived.

The only iPod that is missing is the first generation shuffle. It's missing only because I lent it to my sister and don't really feel the need to have it back. The box is present though. All of these iPods are soon going to be protected with the invisible shield as I have one for every single generation.

All are functional and in reasonable to new condition. I even through a iPod + HP in there to be complete.

The List:
1G - 5GB
2G - 10GB
3G - 15GB upgraded to 30GB (My First iPod, and dear to my heart)
4G - 20GB
4GHP - 40GB
5G - 30GB
5.5G - 30GB
5.5GU2 - 30GB

Mini 1G - 4GB
Mini 2G - 4GB

Nano 1G - 4GB
Nano 2G - 2GB

Shuffle 1G - 1GB
Shuffle 2G - 1GB

iPodCollection2.jpg

shields.jpg

ive won $1000 dollars on a scratch card and recived the money and thinking of starting an ipod collection so how mcuh for all ur ipods $1000 sound right plz reply asap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.