Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leeerox

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
possible cause of dreaded flashing lights

hey. Iv had/have all these probs .But i felt theneed to throwmy opinion in.Iwas online playing,allllll fine when a lightning storm struck.Ther was a loud electrical crack from the vicinity of my entertainment shelf.Resulting in my av receiver not working 100%,my bb modem completley not working,and this prob with ps3 controllers.Iv tested the controllers on mates ps3 and ther fine.So i put it to you ,can any of you remember it being stormy/lightning around at the time your probs started? I beleive it was an electrical storm which caused a huge power spike that blew the internal remote receiver in the ps3. And yes,i had a surge protector plugged in.Whether it helped i dont know, but it has caused me a huge headache,as i said my ps3 was 100% fine before the lightning.???? ps3 s still under guarantee so hopefully it will be replaced.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
hey. Iv had/have all these probs .But i felt theneed to throwmy opinion in.Iwas online playing,allllll fine when a lightning storm struck.Ther was a loud electrical crack from the vicinity of my entertainment shelf.Resulting in my av receiver not working 100%,my bb modem completley not working,and this prob with ps3 controllers.Iv tested the controllers on mates ps3 and ther fine.So i put it to you ,can any of you remember it being stormy/lightning around at the time your probs started? I beleive it was an electrical storm which caused a huge power spike that blew the internal remote receiver in the ps3. And yes,i had a surge protector plugged in.Whether it helped i dont know, but it has caused me a huge headache,as i said my ps3 was 100% fine before the lightning.???? ps3 s still under guarantee so hopefully it will be replaced.

Wow, that was really difficult to read...

Even if your PS3 is still under warranty a power surge caused by a lightning storm is not covered by the warranty. Your homeowners or renters insurance would be the people to call, or if you used a credit card they may have a replacement agreement. Sony will not replace a unit damaged by lightning. Before you can say it... Yes they can tell that a power surge caused it, its not difficult to diagnose a power surge caused issue. They will inspect it before they replace or repair it.

harliquindoll

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
I just got a ps3 this week and the controller doesn't work when its plugged in for some reason, it shows the four blinking lights and resetting doesnt work. can anyone help with this problem? D:

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I just got a ps3 this week and the controller doesn't work when its plugged in for some reason, it shows the four blinking lights and resetting doesnt work. can anyone help with this problem? D:

Hit the PS Home button and it should work. Mine always does that at first if I don't use the controller to turn it on while plugged in.

azyouthinkweiz

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Because both Bluetooth and Wireless Networks work at the 2.4Ghz Band. While Wlan occupies only a small portion of the Band, Bluetooth can use the whole spectrum!!!
Returning the console to Sony won't solve the problem, I believe this is a major design flaw...

I don't know this is over a year old...but,

It has nothing to do with a major design flaw... The frequencies are dictated by the FCC and ITU.. They operate in the same frequencies because that is the only allotted wavelength for consumer electronics. They can't design that, they have no control over it. Before you go screaming consumer activism and calling them out.. At least know what you are talking about.

Madboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2009
Eureka.. I think..

This is my first post on this forum.. sorry for not de-noobing myself but I just had to post what I did to make it work again. I read through the thread and tried the reset button on the back, pressing the PS button before and after the reset, with the USB plugged in and not plugged in but no luck wirelessly controlling the PS3 UNTIL I......

1.) Move the PS3 away from any other electronics (about 2 feet) and shut off the system
2.) Restart the console via the button on the console and held the button down until it beeps a second time (don't use the controller)
3.) Plugged the controller in to the USB and press the PS button, it recognized, unplugged it and works like a charm now.

I hope this can be a help to maybe some of you. Good luck and God bless.

giopac

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
I had trouble with the blinking lights and found that it was caused by my holding the ps button down for too long when switching system on. A brief tap of the ps button for turning on and holding it in for turning off. Had no issues since.

hamstuh

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2010
my solution

i just had this problem 4rlod on both my ds3 controllers

read All 5 pages and agrees that its not a battery problem

none of ur solutions worked:
reset controllers
hard reset
wire removal
blue tooth settings

all i did was update my ps3 and it works fine now

thats my input hopefully that helps some of you

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
i just had this problem 4rlod on both my ds3 controllers

read All 5 pages and agrees that its not a battery problem

none of ur solutions worked:
reset controllers
hard reset
wire removal
blue tooth settings

all i did was update my ps3 and it works fine now

thats my input hopefully that helps some of you

Same situation with me. Bought my PS3 Slim in ( I think) early December, and had the 4 blinking light problem. Controller couldn't stay connected on Bluetooth. But not long after I got it there was an update available online from Sony which made the problem go away completely.

excer2000

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
omg

bought my slim in October09 and i face this issue from time to time, it is an absurd. I have an Xbox 360 and never had this issue, probably because the X doesn't use Bluetooth, relies on RF.

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
You have to do software update manually. They released one around December 15 I think, or maybe before.

But anyway, I was having these problems and manually went to the software update and now it's fixed. The software should be at 3.15

excer2000

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
You have to do software update manually. They released one around December 15 I think, or maybe before.

But anyway, I was having these problems and manually went to the software update and now it's fixed. The software should be at 3.15

ok will try that but i tought mine was up to date. I had accepted all updates that were pushed to me, wondering what a "manual update" would be.

Should i go to Ps3 support site and download something?

Cheers

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Just do a system update from the "Settings" list on the XBM. It should be all the way to the top. This has been made easier though since Sony just made the update mandatory for those going online. So for all of those looking to play MW2 this weekend, update now or budget enough time, or else you will be late to your party ;)

gothmocaptain

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2010
i have a different problem with mine.

I have the usb cord plugged into the controller and it shows it gets set to a number but for some reason it always charges up when its starts and i can't press any of the buttons, i can still move the dpad around but i just can't use any of the buttons

not sure if its something with the cord or the system itself, my new controller just fell victim to it so im sure its not something with the controllers

onlymofu

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010

I have the usb cord plugged into the controller and it shows it gets set to a number but for some reason it always charges up when its starts and i can't press any of the buttons, i can still move the dpad around but i just can't use any of the buttons

not sure if its something with the cord or the system itself, my new controller just fell victim to it so im sure its not something with the controllers

I'm having the exact same problem.

When its plugged, all four lights flash. When I hit the reset, the lights go to normal but none of my buttons work except for the D-Pad.

Any clues to what the problem is anybody? The PS button does not work whatsoever.

onlymofu

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010

I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM YAY :)

The insides of the remote are all messed up, drop the remote on the ground a few times and throw it in the air, mine works now. Sometimes it glitches and randomly turns off but we can finally play monopoly drunk. Lol I can't believe it, sometimes being aggressive and rough can actually pay off.

userman

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
The end of a long thread

Well I have had this problem for two days and I have fixed it. I have just bought a duel charger. I put my controller in it and it all looked fine, for a day then Saturday! (10/04/2010) I got the dreaded flashing light syndrome that seemed to last about 15 seconds then the lights would turn off. controller would not work. To stop me from going on I will tell you the fix for mine and I hope that it will fix yours.
The USB lead that came with the charger was not charging correctly. I used the lead on the controller directly and this did not work so I swapped it and it did work. I have now put it in the charger and all is now fin
I hope this is some help for you :D:D

Userman

iNeedHelpOMG

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
PS3 Controller Sync Problem!

Ok, im assuming i have the worst problem, but I need this fixed. Yesterday while playing a game my ps3 controller battery died, so i plug it in the ps3 usb ports to charge and NOTHING HAPPENS! So im thinking, maybe the battery inside the controller died all the way and cant be recharged. But no, I went to plug it on my computer and it starts charging. WOW SONY! Moving on, I go to use the controller with my ps3 and it wont sync. So at this point im saying "oh ok, well I can see how this part can be my fault" for charging it on a different source other than the ps3. So, i go to he store and buy a new controller, and i connect it to the usb, and once again NOTHING HAPPENS! Now this is strange because when I plug in my usb keyboard, and my bluetooth mic, etc. THEY START CHARGING or let me know they are working. So right now im stuck at the 1st screen when I turn on my ps3 where it shows my users. The usb ports do not recognize my controllers even though they recognize the other items. I've tried resetting my controller, and unplugging my ps3. I've been looking around for answers but the answers are to the people with minor problems who i suppose barely got their ps3. They all say connect the usb cable, yea well mine doesnt recognize ps3 controllers. IF ANYONE IS HAVING THESE SAME PROBLEMS OR IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME PLEASE REPLY TO THIS POST!!!! I dont want to send in my ps3 but if I must, I will. I Just think there has to be a way to get this working since it seem like it may be a software problem. PLEASE PEOPL, HELP ME.

FFaddict

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
I'm having the exact same problem.

When its plugged, all four lights flash. When I hit the reset, the lights go to normal but none of my buttons work except for the D-Pad.

Any clues to what the problem is anybody? The PS button does not work whatsoever.

Had the EXACT same problem, four lights flashing as soon as I disconnected the USB cord, PS3 console just would not pick up the signals from the wireless, then I realized what I was doing wrong...

:cool: :cool: :cool: PS3 console MUST be in the "controller menu" to pick up a (new) controller wirelessly (just press the PS3 button on the controller). Suppose it is a bug in the software but I am only guessing. If you are logged into a game, LOG OFF/OUT completely before trying this fix. Works for me every time now. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Carlson9416

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
Ps3 Controller Problem

My Ps3 was working fine, i got the new slim ps3 4christmas. About 2 month ago my wirless controller and the ps3 didnt connect. I try pressing the PS button but nothing happen. I ask my friend and he said to unplug the ps3 for 10 sec. I try it and it work untill now. There is no orange light or green light. I cant start my ps3 with my ps can anyone help me??

norcal415

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
PS3 controller Fix

Heres the fix worked the first time for me good luck.

1) Connect PS3 controller via USB controller charger.

2) While the USB lead is connected, press the PS button.

3) Remove the Usb Ps3 Controller lead.

4) Press PS button. This should fix your Ps3 Problems.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
i just started having this problem a week or so ago and was driving me crazy. I just picked up a new controller today (unrelated issue) and was doing the same thing. I finally got it synced and saw the Bluetooth icon flashing on my MBP. Apparently when I upgraded to SL a couple weeks ago for the new phone, the system defaults to having the bluetoth on and discoverable. I'm fairly sure that's what's been causing problems for me, hope it helps.

ahmoda

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
PES 2010 problem

My console is PS3

I'm playing PES 2010 almost daily since had been released,

Ok so I'm having this really weird problem in PES 2010, the buttons work fine in the menu's (square, circle, triangle and x) etc but when it comes to playing then it is just not working, i.e I can't shoot or pass and the player just go around by arrows.(Just arrows buttons are working)

and also tried free training and I can't pass, shoot lob or anything so I'm stuck running around doing nothing else.

Any idea what's wrong?

The buttons working fine on other games (menus and inside game) but in PES only working in menu.

I Tried to reset from behind ( small hall) but it did not solve the problem.

Can you please help?

Thank you in advance

Ahmad

jman7177

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
this is not my fix but worked great for me. game on

There are a couple of proven ways that work to fix your Ps3 controller problems. This repair work 90% of the time, but it might be complicated for you.

so it's recommended to use a Playstation 3 Repair Guide when you fix your Ps3 Controller Problems.

1) Connect PS3 controller via USB controller charger.

2) While the USB lead is connected, press the PS button.

3) Remove the Usb Ps3 Controller lead.

4) Press PS button. This should fix your Ps3 Problems.

If your Ps3 controller problems still persist, you should get yourself a Playstation 3 Repair Guide. In this Guide you will find any problems that are related to your ps3.

All the Ps3 problems are explained with detailed instructions and photo's. There will be a 100% success to repair your Ps3 Controller problems successfully if you use this Playstation 3 Repair Guide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.