Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baboo2

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
Toronto
"This accessory is not made to work with iPhone" ERROR- HELP!- how to get rid of this....
I have the option of turning airplane mode off /on ....this message pops up randomly.

I have NOTHING connected - it just appears randomly ...

I even restored my iphone relocked and re unlocked my iphone..but this message this appears...
from research, it seems it may be dust from the dock ....i tried to clean it with contact solution but there are still small pockets of dusts on the corners....

How can I get rid of this message OR what tools can I use (guide me on where to buy this tool) to get rid of this message!@#!@
it's driving me nuts and I appreciate all advice

Thanks

porg1969

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2007
San Francisco
"This accessory is not made to work with iPhone" ERROR- HELP!- how to get rid of this....
I have the option of turning airplane mode off /on ....this message pops up randomly.

I have NOTHING connected - it just appears randomly ...

I even restored my iphone relocked and re unlocked my iphone..but this message this appears...
from research, it seems it may be dust from the dock ....i tried to clean it with contact solution but there are still small pockets of dusts on the corners....

How can I get rid of this message OR what tools can I use (guide me on where to buy this tool) to get rid of this message!@#!@
it's driving me nuts and I appreciate all advice

Thanks

I had the same problem......take your phone back to Apple, they will replace it, they replaced mine.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
usually means theres something stuck in the dock connector, like a grain of sand or some corrosion between two pins. it makes the iphone think theres something plugged in, but when it cant communicate with the phantom accessory, it shows the message.

baboo2

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
Toronto
the problem- i'm in canada and I Apple won't ship it back to Canada right?
Also the messages appears randomly even when there is nothing to connect to..
i tried cleaning the pins...but what is best method to get those little gridy dust out?

princesschilly

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
the problem- i'm in canada and I Apple won't ship it back to Canada right?
Also the messages appears randomly even when there is nothing to connect to..
i tried cleaning the pins...but what is best method to get those little gridy dust out?

I'm in Canada as well. I would suggest that next time you go over to the states to exchange it like they said above. It depends on how crazy it's driving you. :(

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Did you try "blowing out" the connector? I would used compressed air, that usually gets things out of the connector.

You have something on the connector that makes the iPhone think you have something plugged in. If that doesn't work, you might try plugging a dock cable in and out multiple times, to clean off the connector. Maybe that will help.

if all else fails, you are going to have to take it back to Apple, or call them and arrange an exchange...

baboo2

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
Toronto
someone helped me buy this in texas and i think they will have to send it in and there is no more 4gb in stock for exchange

as well the 8gb new ones have yet to find a solution for unlocking ...

:(

idesign245

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Does anyone know what causes this error to pop up repeatedly? I'm getting a new phone sent out from Rogers but I'd really like to know why my phone suddenly started showing this pop up, all the time. It's killing my battery life because it keeps turning itself on, or waking itself up.

romeoyankee

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
the most common problem is that you got some type of water/moisture in your dock connector and it shorted out.

There are some software fixes all over the net but I believe the only way to completely fix it would be to buy another dock connector from the internet and install it yourself.

rmunson1

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2008
This accessory is not made to work with iPhone

finally!!! a member has finally figured out the answer..

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/6359368/

Romeo - does your url really speak to THIS problem? I read it, and it seems to be talking about resetting the audio of the iphone, not about eliminating this message.

My history - iphone totally soaked (full wash cycle). AT&T and Apple said 'buy new.' Local repair shop fixed it. Worked fine for 2 months except that I got this annoying message. However, towards the end of the 2 months, the annoyance became deadly. The message came constantly. It had NOTHING to do with dock connectors. It came 5-10 times per minute. When I powered the phone completely off, it would power itself back on in less than 1 minute (sometimes 3-4 seconds) and start telling me, again, about the accessory. My battery would be shot well before days end. But the last week of stress killed the battery (that was brand new 2 months ago). Now the repair shop wants to put in another battery, but I can't afford new batteries every 2 months and I don't want the 3G phone with data at $30 per month instead of $20 per month. If I 'repair' this phone, I want a way to totally eliminate this bogus message. So, back to where this started - will the instructions at your url really fix this problem. When I get my iphone back from the second repair, I need to know if I have an answer for this insidious problem.

Psycdude

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
This problem happened to me, I went snowboarding (for the 1st time) with my seemingly indestructible phone (1st Going strong since they came out day 1). It wasn't soaked, but my pockets were a little damp.

For the past 24 hours or so I was getting that accessory error message about every 30 seconds to 2 minutes. I tried compressed air, alcohol swabs, complete restores..,nothing seemed to work.

For the past 8 hours, however, it seems totally fine..., possibly this 80 degree LA weather did the job and dried it out more completely.

romeoyankee

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
rmunson...

it has nothing to do with your battery. Basically what has happened is that you have gotten some water into your dock connector. the message and the audio problem are the same. If your audio still works while getting the "accessory" message well then good for you! got lucky.. a bit.

it has somehow shorted out those pins on your dock connector. I have had that problem on my 1st gen iphone for almost 8 months now.. The methods you find on the internet will help but they are all work arounds. Basically they are little software fixes that shut down that part of the dock connector. There are side effects as well but they are far outweighed by the fact that you can actually use your cell now without getting that message every 30 seconds or without having your battery die in an hour.

heres the link to the latest information that worked for me...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/350765/

hope that helps!

ry

Accessory Error

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2009
I had this problem and I fixed it in minutes with no jailbreaking or software modifications. A small amount of water condensation from a cup holder in my car got into the dock connector port which caused this error message to pop up every few minutes, sometimes every few seconds, for about two weeks. I fixed it by cleaning the pins on the connector after reading the comments above. There may be a more professional way to do this, but I used what I had on hand and it worked.

1. Turn off the phone.

2. Fold a crisp, new $1 bill over two times, stick the folded corner under the pins and rub it back and forth quickly for approximately 30 seconds.

3. Fold the bill over one more time, stick the folded corner on top of the pins and rub it back and forth quickly for approximately 30 seconds.

4. Spray Windex on the corner of the bill, wipe off the excess with your fingers and repeat steps 1 and 2.

Notes:
I used the Windex because the dry cleaning did not fix the problem. I included information on the dry cleaning because it may be an important interim step.

I turned my phone off before starting this procedure, but it turned back on before I finished it. I might have turned it on accidentally or the Windex may have made a connection that caused this to happen. The lesson is make sure you don't use too much Windex. If your phone is new or if you aren't lazy like me you should probably go to RadioShack and get some contact cleaner.

naoaram

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2008
Apple replaced my iPhone yesterday.

First off, I'd like to start by saying how "loved" and beat up my first gen iPhone was. The speaker cover was cracked, exposing the speaker driver, the aluminum casing was battered, and dented. It was basically past the point of using a case. I was however still under extended apple care warranty. So when I began experiencing similar symptoms to the ones you've all mentioned, I made an appointment at an Apple Store and they replaced my phone without question saying it was clearly a "hardware malfunction", given the sad shape the actual device was in. So I strongly recommend contacting your nearest Apple Store for a replacement, hopefully you'll have the same/ a similar experience to mine.

gordgboy

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
I solved the problem accidentally

I had this same problem with my iphone3gs after I spilt some orange juice on it. The problem lasted for a few days and then I accidentally let the iphone run out of power. When I charged it back up the problem was gone and has not come back since.

koakley07

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
Help me please! Ugh.

A while back my phone was dropped top first into a small amount of water. It acted a bit crazy for a few hours that day, but has worked fine since then. Sound and all. Well, just the other day an error starts popping up saying something about "this accessory is not made for iphone....". In addition, the sound of my speakers goes off, and the only way I can get it back on is to dial a number. Once I hang up, the sound works again. And it periodically goes off and on throughout the day. What in the world can I do to fix this? It is sooo aggravating! Please help.:confused:

brynd

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
Try leaving in a sealed n

I had exactly this problem. I had gone snowboarding and got the phone a little damp. It worked fine, but every so often, it randomly showed the dreaded message. I dried it out on a radiator for 24 hours, tried cleaning the ports etc etc. Eventually a friend suggested something he had found of Cnet - leavingg it in a bag of dried (uncooked) rice for up to 48 hours. Result - absolutely no problems since (presumably rice, being anhydrous, absorbs the very small bits of moisture that a radiator or hairdryer cant get at.

brynd

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
Try leaving in a sealed bag of dried rice for 48 hours

I had exactly this problem. I had gone snowboarding and got the phone a little damp. It worked fine, but every so often, it randomly showed the dreaded message. I dried it out with a hairdryer, on a radiator for 24 hours, tried cleaning the ports etc etc. Eventually a friend suggested something he had found on cnet - leaving it in a bag of dried (uncooked) rice for up to 48 hours. Total Result! - absolutely no problems since (presumably rice, being anhydrous, absorbs the very small bits of moisture that a radiator or hairdryer cant get at).

RickyDalton

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2010
Read This Please!!

I Had The Same Problem, I Blew Into The Earphone Bit At The Top And Blew Into The Bit Where The Charger Was Real Hard And Then All Of A Sudden The Sound Came Straight Back On

Let Me Know If This Works For You Lot Aswell :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.