Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProNoob

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
RE: Cider

Do i need to download Cider in order to play this game? Or is the wrapper the cider version of the game?

If I'm right it should be an normal application, with the wrapper included.
Just open it up, and it should be running without installing anything or so something.

berrykerry789

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2009
Cider Port

Modern Warfare 2 works much better with a cider port than running it on crossover... both of them still are very laggy and bootcamp would probably be the best choice. :D

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Is this legal? (genuine question, I don't follow this kind of thing but I'm sure I haven't seen any announcements about a port
ZOMG you are one severely paranoid human. The MPAA and RIAA have got you quivering in your boots, haven't they. I can just picture you cowering in a corner as you posted this question. After a cool announcement like this, the very first question in your mind is "Is this legal?" :rolleyes: You've been brainwashed by the media industry to believe that everything that isn't specifically legalized by them, is by default, illegal. The media industry is the great giver, and the great taker away, aren't they? :rolleyes: It's quite sad and pathetic actually, that this is your thought process.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I can already play MW2 on my Mac. Granted, I have to boot up Windows to do it, but it works well. COD2 and COD4 never had very good performance on my Mac under OSX, compared to how they run on my Mac under Windows. I see no substantive advantage to running it under OSX, and anyway it appears there are a number of DISadvantages.

Anyway, MW2 pretty much sucks. It would be great on a dedicated server, but relying on Steam AND on IWNet is pretty much a deal-breaker from a functionality standpoint. REALLY got tired fast of the vast numbers of potty-mouthed 12 year olds, for one thing.

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
I can already play MW2 on my Mac. Granted, I have to boot up Windows to do it, but it works well. COD2 and COD4 never had very good performance on my Mac under OSX, compared to how they run on my Mac under Windows. I see no substantive advantage to running it under OSX, and anyway it appears there are a number of DISadvantages.

Anyway, MW2 pretty much sucks. It would be great on a dedicated server, but relying on Steam AND on IWNet is pretty much a deal-breaker from a functionality standpoint. REALLY got tired fast of the vast numbers of potty-mouthed 12 year olds, for one thing.

My son rented it last weekend for the PS3 and he was out. I grabbed it and started playing SP. When I went into the airport, I had a bad taste in my mouth... when the Russians invaded the US, I went and got another beer to stand it... I stopped playing and went online... was not all that good to be honest and I won't be buying the PC version. CoD4 was great along with all the other in the franchise... they lost their roots on this one and went sensationalized IMO.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
The single player version left me kind of cold too. Anyway, I buy these games for the online version since playing against humans is always more challenging and interesting than even the best AI.

One of the most rewarding aspects of online FPS for me has always been the sense of community that develops on any given server. Even setting the clan concept aside, the various dedicated servers always tend to end up with a relatively consistent core of players that drop in for a map or two as those various servers evolve a sort of ethos wherein most of the players at any given time have a consistent set of online ethics. Infinity Ward has taken that away by making it so hard for those casual and sporadic games with like-minded individuals to form.

healeydave

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
Cool. But it's rather sad that you have to register to view that thread LOL.

I rather wait for an official port (since all COD games so far made by Infinity Ward have been ported to the Mac)...

Its worse than that, I registered and still couldn't read the thread, they have some naff ritual type system going on where-by you have to jump through hoops before you can even read some sections.

Needless to say, I couldn't be arsed.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Cool. But it's rather sad that you have to register to view that thread LOL.

I rather wait for an official port (since all COD games so far made by Infinity Ward have been ported to the Mac)...

How's that going to work without Steam? The game heavily relies on Steam. How are people running it in Cider without Steam anyway?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
ZOMG you are one severely paranoid human. The MPAA and RIAA have got you quivering in your boots, haven't they. I can just picture you cowering in a corner as you posted this question. After a cool announcement like this, the very first question in your mind is "Is this legal?" :rolleyes: You've been brainwashed by the media industry to believe that everything that isn't specifically legalized by them, is by default, illegal. The media industry is the great giver, and the great taker away, aren't they? :rolleyes: It's quite sad and pathetic actually, that this is your thought process.

No wonder you're in time out with posts like this.
I'm not paranoid over it, you do know that forums have been shut down for distributing pirated games, right? And given that there has been no announcement for an official OSX port that could (could, which is why I asked) be an illegal move. The last thing I want is for MR to face legal action, I don't care much about the forum the OP keeps spamming.

awmt102

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
I bought Modern Warfare 2 today and have downloaded the wrapper. However having installed the DVD contents using crossover games it appears I have installed Steam and there is no sign of the "Activision" folder mentioned in the installation instructions - am I missing an important step to somehow extract the game from steam? or do I just have the wrong version of the game?

Cheers

Andy

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Is this legal? (genuine question, I don't follow this kind of thing but I'm sure I haven't seen any announcements about a port from Activision)

Depends on who you ask. Apple -- MUST -- believe that this sort of thing is illegal, otherwise they would have to allow other hardware manufacturers to run OS X on their non-Apple hardware.

This kind of running a Windows software through emulation/API-translation layers is somehow very similar. The only real difference is that game developers have an interest in selling as many copies of their games as possible, and games running in WINE do not hurt their sales.

Microsoft, on the other hand, probably could do a lot about this if they wanted to - after all, WINE implements the Windows API on foreign operating systems, and that, in all likelihood, infringes on a ton of Microsoft patents. It's just that Microsoft, unlike Apple, usually does not care about this sort of thing (unless it begins to really hurt their business, of course - but the amount of users using things like WINE is tiny).

angusslo

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
I have no problems at all with cider port. maybe it runs a little bit slow at high settings that it would run on a simmilar PC but that may be cider port cause. I can't however wait for official MAC version.

the rig is in the sign

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I have no problems at all with cider port. maybe it runs a little bit slow at high settings that it would run on a simmilar PC but that may be cider port cause. I can't however wait for official MAC version.

the rig is in the sign

Explain how you run this game in Cider without Steam?

dafootballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
you get a non steam version... or you download steam through the porting teams website and play

and yes we have steam ported

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
just to maybe help clear things up since I make Wineskin.... it is open source and distributed on a LGPL license. Please see the license information that comes with Wineskin (http://wineskin.sourceforge.net) for more info... and should be inside this fallout 3 wrapper in the resources folder unless dafootballer deleted it.

Wineskin uses totally open source software. It uses Wine (LGPL license) and Xquartz (x.org built for Macs, since Wine requires X11), which is on a variety of different licenses for different parts, but still open source and distributable. It is possible to install things in Wineskin that require a license or license agreement, but by default it is totally legal. Crossover hacks and Cider hacks are not technically legal, which is why I started Wineskin in the first place.

The only part that can be illegal, is if you use non-open source free software (contained inside when you distribute it) and distribute it with the Winetricks.app still inside. It has a version of Cabextract in it that Winetricks uses that is on a GPL license, so it cannot be used with anything but open free software. Best to always delete Winetricks.app before distributing anything, since no one will need it anyways if you made the wrapper right, its only needed to help in making the wrapper, not running it.

mrjorch

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
Testing

I've got like 3 different cider ports, I hope this fix works on any of them :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.