Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
zomg, I'm definitely replacing the two-dollar Movie Genie with this one!! Woot!!

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Given the number of US only apps and the number of complaints about it, it amazes me people don't stop whining about and just go open a US account.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
Given the number of US only apps and the number of complaints about it, it amazes me people don't stop whining about and just go open a US account.

I have my all my apps and phone and stuff registered under my local account. Any idea what happens if I register for a US account and try to change to the new account on the iphone? Will I be able to use my previously bought stuff just by switching between the 2 accounts?

biggrim

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland

In all fairness we shouldn't have to. Unless there is a legit reason for it being U.S. specific (which lets be honest, this app isn't) I see no reason why it isn't made available to EVERYONE from the get go.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
I have my all my apps and phone and stuff registered under my local account. Any idea what happens if I register for a US account and try to change to the new account on the iphone? Will I be able to use my previously bought stuff just by switching between the 2 accounts?

If you do it right, nothing happens. The apps from the two accounts will coexist on the iPhone quite happily. When you want apps from US acc, sign out of local acc, sign into US one, get app onto iPhone (or computer, depending on how you're getting it), sign out of US, sign back into local acc, sync. Job done.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
In all fairness we shouldn't have to. Unless there is a legit reason for it being U.S. specific (which lets be honest, this app isn't) I see no reason why it isn't made available to EVERYONE from the get go.

Granted. But moaning about it here will have little affect.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
IMDb Comes to the iPhone

121450-imdb_1.jpg
121450-imdb_2.jpg

TUAW noted yesterday that the Internet Movie Database (IMDb), a popular source for information on movies and TV, has released a dedicated iPhone application [App Store, Free]. The application allows access to IMDb's full offerings, boasting information on over 1.5 million movies and TV shows and over 3.2 million celebrities.
The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) is the largest collection of movie, TV and celebrity information anywhere. We aim to list every detail about every movie and TV show ever made, including who was in it, who made it, the plot, user ratings, trailers, photos, reviews, and trivia.
The application also offers access to trailers and photos for a wide variety of movies, as well as information on movie showtimes and TV listings. Further features include a list of the Top 250 movies as ranked my IMDb users, box office results, and recaps of U.S. TV episodes.

Article Link: IMDb Comes to the iPhone

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Being outside the USA, I'm unable to confirm, but it doesn't appear to offer anything Movie Genie hasn't already been offering for ages, and that's available internationally.

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
:confused:

Why dedicate an app? This is one of those times that it should just be left as a mobile website alternative. See no need to be an app.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I don't really see the need for this just like I don't see a need for the Wikipedia app. I'd far rather use the actual websites, that's the beauty of the Safari browser. I hope they don't introduce any kind of 'mobile' version of the site either since mobile versions are never as full featured as the full versions, which render fine on the iPhone.

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Granted. But moaning about it here will have little affect.

I have a US iTunes account but thats not the point made now is it? If it's not specific to the US it should be available to all. We buy iPhones over the other side of the pond as well you know!

For some people, they mightn't know how to create a US account. I dont see what your problem is - oh yes, you dont have this problem.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
What I like about this app is that it combines features of "Now Playing" with the IMDb. It has location aware search of movie times. It's really fast too - a couple clicks and I can find out what movies are playing around me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.