Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scalie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
im trying to see if someone is interested in making something like this me and a few friends thought it would be an interesting prog the idea would be to turn the iphone into a digital pocket scale for "jewelry and etc." please email me at wakingdream333@yahoo.com if you would be interested in making it i dont make progs

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
So you don't program, and likely don't know how to engineer the hardware for this scale...

Also, the SDK won't allow the iPhone to interface with an external peripheral.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
no hardware needed, you just use the onboard accelerometers. You place your iPhone on a cushy surface with known physical properties. You drop the bag of weed onto the iPhone from a known height, gather weather data from yahoo to approximate air friction, thus calculating the bag of weed's velocity at impact... no that won't work... where's my bag of weed? :D

dsl4c

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
Portland, OR
drug users would love this, since they use digital scales to weight their drugs out for sale.. just what meth heads, pot heads, coke heads, and etc.. need, since a digital scale is often considered as contriban by law enforcement, they could just use their iPhone instead. :rolleyes: I hope this never happens..

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
drug users would love this, since they use digital scales to weight their drugs out for sale.. just what meth heads, pot heads, coke heads, and etc.. need, since a digital scale is often considered as contriban by law enforcement, they could just use their iPhone instead. :rolleyes: I hope this never happens..

Why do you think the op said "jewelry and etc."?

scalie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
yes that is why i used the phrase "jewelry and etc." they already have scales that LOOK like iphones i thought that it was pretty stupid and figured the phone itself could weigh things using the accel-o-meter haha and hey just because one smokes pot or "drugs" doesnt make one a bad person you know?

Possédé

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Scotland, United Kingdom

I agree with scalie. Just because a person smokes cannabis or snorts cocaine does not make them a bad person. From what you have said you sound arrogant, sorry. You forgot to mention the vast majority of drug addicts that are addicted to prescription drugs, alcohol and cigarettes.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
i think this would not be possible - quite sure indeed. scale relies on pressure not on accelerometre to do its calculations. now, onto how i feel about this thread, honestly laughs. i don't know if the op is laughing at this or not but i would be.

mentioning weed instead of its proper name on a serious forum like this is sheer laughs. for the record it is 'bhang'. it also is depending on what country you are from, a substance that carries a certain stigma. if you are from malaysia and you get caught, you could be in serious trouble - missing heads for instance though i'm quite sure this is just on paper and not real at all.

if you are in the states: someone fill me in here.
canada: you pay the law a fine
netherlands: mix with the coffee and order another, double double.

japan: you laugh about it and show genuine interest but never ever would you do such things: time to go and get completely potted at the local drinkery.

a scale? you must be smoking 'weed'. ;)

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
trees, umps, green ladies, dro, the pon, greens, maruja, grass hmmmm not weed though...

i dunno what that was all about, something was in my head i dunno hahaha,, yeah i dun see a scalie for the iphone.. .but funny and interesting idea..

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
Hmmm...

Looks like this one might be more accurate...
http://www.slipperybrick.com/2008/01/fake-iphone-scale/ :rolleyes:

When are :apple: gonna release an iSpliff? It's similar to a normal spliff but it looks a lot better, is thinner, but works better.

the iPhonescale app I reckon would actually work a lot better if it just had a centre marker. Put it on a decent fulcrum rather than your finger like a rubbery inverted V thing. Then put the number of nickels you want's worth of weight on one end (e.g. 3 for 15g) on top of the earpiece, then put the ganj or whatever at the bottom edge of the home button. Keep adding it til you have equal balance. Voila! what's on one end = 15g. If you wanna weigh your pot in a pot so you don't get a sticky earpiece, put something on the other end that equals the weigh of the pot, and the nickels. Basically, the nearer the ends of the phone you measure the more accurate it is. Only being able to weigh 5g is pretty limiting. If you have a selection of coins in your pocket and you know what they weigh you can weigh anything in multiples of the coin weight.

Obviously this is purely a scientific thought experiment. The only time I tried pot I didn't inhale.

;)

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
The iPhone is perfect for cutting lines on the go too, and the best part is no software is needed. :cool:

Maybe I could make iFuct. You tell it your bodyweight and how many drugs of what type you've had, and t tells you how f*&ked you are! It could come in handy when you don't know your name anymore.

Or "iTrip" where you start an app and press go when you drop acid and it tells you how far through the trip you should be. Then it'll tell you when the LSD/'shrooms should have started kicking in by, so you can work out if you've been ripped off and should have more as they're not very strong, or if you should just wait because it's still not supposed to have got to peak trip yet. Or if you're having a bad trip it should be able to tell you that you're roughly at the peak, and not to worry as everything will calm down in 5-20 minutes and not to worry you've lost your grip on reality. It could automatically have emergency buttons to play you your favourite relaxing song when you can't navigate itunes anymore, or play a prerecorded "oh dear I've had a bit much" message to your friends when you've lost the ability to talk. :D I could think of more ideas to add all day, but I fear :apple: might not accept it to the app store. :confused:

Drugs and iPhones = Warped reality and technology. The sky's the limit! :p

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
No worries. I inhaled enough for both of us, and I did it often.

"I didn't inhale" as in Bill Clinton says he didn't inhale either when he tried pot.

I'm making the assumption here though that he "didn't inhale" in the same way as he "did not have sexual relations with" Monica Lewinsky. :D

xxxRaphael

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Yet it's a pretty reliable indicator.

actually its not, i smoke pot quite often, my teachers love me, i have an average of 76, parents love me, my friends siblings love me, why? because of my personality, i dont get the hype of weed, its a plant, it makes you happy, feel good, makes food taste good, makes alotof things in life seem better, then it makes you tired. Sounds a lot like alcohal if you ask me but the difference is, it (for unknown reasons) is illegal, and i do believe there has been a **** load less, if any, recorded deaths linked to an OD on marijuana. Alcohal and cigarettes kill more more than weed. Weed, by definition, isnt even a narcotic, so think twice before you catagorize or profile people basd on what you THINK and what they BELIEVE!!!!!

BornToMac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Already thought of it and researched it and it is currently not possible.

P.S if you have a good idea for an iphone app and you hope to make money, develop your app and submit it to the app store before going onto the forums and telling everyone your good idea.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
actually its not, i smoke pot quite often, my teachers love me, i have an average of 76, parents love me, my friends siblings love me, why? because of my personality, i dont get the hype of weed, its a plant, it makes you happy, feel good, makes food taste good, makes alotof things in life seem better, then it makes you tired. Sounds a lot like alcohal if you ask me but the difference is, it (for unknown reasons) is illegal, and i do believe there has been a **** load less, if any, recorded deaths linked to an OD on marijuana. Alcohal and cigarettes kill more more than weed. Weed, by definition, isnt even a narcotic, so think twice before you catagorize or profile people basd on what you THINK and what they BELIEVE!!!!!

In itself, Weed is not addictive, but when your not high from it, things feel less enjoyable, as the toxins released during the high make your brain used to it, this is what makes people become 'addicted' to it.

Good Luck with your boring life from now on eh?

uteliggaren

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
iscale download

Hi guys...

This app is something i need to try out...
I see that iphoneiscale.com is down :(......

Can somebody send me the install file to my mail?
wuu_@hotmail.com

Regards Uteliggaren

Spyder62

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009

Weed is illegal because the government cant control it. Think about it, anyone can grow weed no matter where they live. Tobacco on the other hand is not easy to grow. Not to many people can have tobacco fields in their backyards. So if they cant control, they cant tax it which is why its illegal. It always about the money :D

rrburkha

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
In itself, Weed is not addictive, but when your not high from it, things feel less enjoyable, as the toxins released during the high make your brain used to it, this is what makes people become 'addicted' to it.

Good Luck with your boring life from now on eh?

that sounds familiar, i'm pretty sure i heard it in an anti-drug commercial. "toxins"? haha, i'm glad to see you are using scientific terms. i haven't smoked pot in years and i never had a problem stopping.

i love it how many of you try to demonize drug users. you know what kind of people are really the worst? people that judge others without ever having even met them.

enjoy your petty existence.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I don't know, I hear about more drunk drivers killing someone then killed by someone on the influence of weed. I guess it's the media, they must be suppressing the weed stories. How many people will look down their noses at weed smokers but go to a barbecue and drive home after a couple of beers.

sabata76

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
to kill any arrogance

Marajuana users have the same or lower instances of murders and highway deaths and accidents than the general non marajuana smoking population as a whole . crancer study, UCLA Federally funded six million dollar study. Medical history does not recognize a death from pot overdose. The type of mentality that judges someone for doing something that doesn't affect anyone else is an evil closed and dangerous one. It will inevitabily try to impose that judgement claiming they know what's best.like manifest destiny almost. That's why liberal radicals call you nazis and facist.You need to read, and read untill you break that ignorance that binds you. Preferably about the founding fathers. And checj out the Libertarian Party if. Now start talking about the program again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.