Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josephrgarza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Whenever I plug in my power supply to the macbook it shuts the computer down. Completely shuts it off.

However, if I just use the computer on battery power it works just fine.

I've already tried a different power supply (which works on other computers), I'm thinking its the power board? in the laptop that might have fried or is shorting somehow.

My warranty is up already.

Any ideas on what might be broken?

Disclosure: I spilled wine on this laptop almost a 8 months ago, I managed to dry it out, pretty much took apart the computer and let it sit for a week before starting it up and everything worked fine after that, and no problems since.

Thanks for reading :)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Likely the power board is bad. You could also take a peek at the magsafe connector on the computer; it's possible the sockets in it have been melted or something metallic is stuck in there and shorting the pins on the connector together when you plug it in.

Assuming the connector looks ok, not much you can try other than taking it apart and looking for blown components on the circuit boards. If you can't find anything, replacing the power board/socket might help, but no guarantees and no way to be sure without trying.

sparx22

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Hi josephrgarza,

did you ever sort your problem out as I seem to be suffering from the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.