Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xfarmerdavex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
My iPhone 3gs is about a week old, and was sitting on my desk next to me at my laptop and vibrated. So i went to check and it was off. The battery was at about 60%. So i figured maybe it needed to be plugged into a charger, so i did. Nothing. My Powerbook won't recognize it either. It's now been plugged into the wall charger for about 45 minutes and it's still unresponsive. Any ideas on anything I could do to get this thing on again? Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Justin1797

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
Sounds familiar

I also have a 3Gs that is doing the same thing. I took a lot of photos and videos last night. Had about 40% battery left when I got finished. I previewed some of my video and photos. Got in my car, placed my phone in the passenger seat. Reached over to grab it less than 2 minutes later, it was off.

I tried everything I can think of. It doesn't charge when plugged into the car charger, wall charger, or into my computer. I won't turn on no matter what I do.

I've taken exceptionally care of this phone. Could it have perhaps overheated? Anyone heard anything that might help us out here?

Thanks!

matt-o

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
London, UK
I had this happen half an hour ago

Battery was just under 50%, the phone was in my pocket and I felt a very short vibration. I checked it and it had turned itself off. When I tried to turn it on I got no response at all, so I plugged it into my computer to see if that helped but nothing happened.
In the end, I held the power and home buttons simultaneously for about 10-15 seconds and it suddenly sprang to life with the startup screen. I really don't know what would cause it to happen, or if anything I did actually helped, but if it does it again I'll have to take it to the Apple store to make sure it's not defective...assuming they can tell :confused:

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Try holding down the lock button and the home button to do a hard reset. Or try putting it in DFU mode. If no luck, take it into the Apple Store to have fixed/replaced.

c32used

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Well I went to Apple store and had it replaced last Friday and now I had Apple store reset the new one to default setting and about an hour or two after restoring it it started acting up so I turned it off and now it won't start again...aarrgg..another trip to Apple store:( When iphone was fixed it was fine with no problems at all til I restored it...then the issue like an hour or two later. I wonder if the backup restore has something to do with it.:confused:

Try holding down the lock button and the home button to do a hard reset. Or try putting it in DFU mode. If no luck, take it into the Apple Store to have fixed/replaced.

DFU? What's that?

Yandi123

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2009
3GS won't turn on

I bought my Iphone 3GS on Friday last week (It is now Wednesday)
My battery was about 43% before my iPhone simply switched itself off..
It will not charge, not on the wall or in my Mac computer. I am shocked that something like this could occur after having it for 4 days.. HELP!!!

EastVanErin

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
re: iPhone won't turn on

This forum has been incredibly helpful on two panicky occasions for me. I figured it was time to join and contribute.

I also, had this problem of not seeing any sign of life with my 3-week old iPhone. Sure enough, if you're patient (because this takes longer than you'd think it should) hold down the power button + the home button at the same time. Voila. iPhone wakes up!

sdunta

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
same thing

wife's iphone 3gs jailbroken with blackra1n went completely dead while we were in the car. like others, phone was at least 50% charged and no other finicky signs/indications of trouble. she reached for it to make a call and screen went black and could not get it to turn on or enter DFU mode. took it to apple store and genius also failed to get it to turn on at all. the apple store genius suggested it was likely a hardware issue, but i'm a little nervous to jailbreak again (she needs tethering) for fear of the same thing happening again. anyone have any clear diagnosis of the cause of the dead iphone? would feel better of re-enabling tethering for her via jailbreak if I knew it had nothing to do with the iphone going dead.

iphone3gsdead

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
iphone 3gs dead

wife's iphone 3gs jailbroken with blackra1n went completely dead while we were in the car. like others, phone was at least 50% charged and no other finicky signs/indications of trouble. she reached for it to make a call and screen went black and could not get it to turn on or enter DFU mode. took it to apple store and genius also failed to get it to turn on at all. the apple store genius suggested it was likely a hardware issue, but i'm a little nervous to jailbreak again (she needs tethering) for fear of the same thing happening again. anyone have any clear diagnosis of the cause of the dead iphone? would feel better of re-enabling tethering for her via jailbreak if I knew it had nothing to do with the iphone going dead.

My iphone 3gs totally died i think and is now unrepsonsive after running blackra1n. The computer and itunes doesnt even recognise it (to chime sound or anything when plugged in). I dont know what to do.........

iphone3gsdead

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
tried it

As already stated, try putting your phone into DFU mode (see my sig for link).

Ok i fixed my problem.. I left the iphone for 3 days for the battery to completey die, then just plugged it in and everything is fine now. Battery life really sucks on the 3gS though......

rcwm

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
2nd iPhone to do this

Hi All,

This is the second iPhone in 3 weeks that has gone dead, and will not turn on again.

The first one was replaced as DOA - and now it looks like I will have to take this one back as well.

I have tried all of the above - will no success. This is the 3GS 32GB.

RCWM

iphone3gsdead

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
Hi All,

This is the second iPhone in 3 weeks that has gone dead, and will not turn on again.

The first one was replaced as DOA - and now it looks like I will have to take this one back as well.

I have tried all of the above - will no success. This is the 3GS 32GB.

RCWM
are you trying to jailbreak the phone when it dies?

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
iPhone 3GS 32 GB.

Apparently died.

It does indeed take a while but holding the power button and home button down long enough revived it easily. Thanks!

Perfectly fine now.

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009

man! arent you lucky! your lucky that phone didnt turn on or u wouldnt be able to have it fixed ever. didnt your mama ever tell you jailbreaking voids your warranty?

mclifford82

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
Burnsville, MN, USA
This forum has been incredibly helpful on two panicky occasions for me. I figured it was time to join and contribute.

I also, had this problem of not seeing any sign of life with my 3-week old iPhone. Sure enough, if you're patient (because this takes longer than you'd think it should) hold down the power button + the home button at the same time. Voila. iPhone wakes up!

This worked and I breathed a sigh of relief. And I love you.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
iPhone 3GS 32 GB.

Apparently died.

It does indeed take a while but holding the power button and home button down long enough revived it easily. Thanks!

Perfectly fine now.

you should do this a couple of times a week or more! apps have a tendancy not to close when you close them. its just like rebooting you PC every few days. hold both buttons until you see the Apple logo then let go. just holding the power button and using the slide to turn it off is not good enough. that basically puts it in sleep mode.

hgoman

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Connecticut
Am I out of the woods yet?

I just reset my iPhone 3GS by using the home and sleep button at the same time. A screen came up with a battery that's completely empty except for a little red bar and a lightning bolt underneath it. I assume it's charging, but when my iPhone stopped working it was at least at 95% battery. I was texting a friend, I hit sleep, then when I went to turn it on later it wouldn't turn on. Hopefully this solves it.

PS my iPhone is about 6-8 months old, I upgraded in the summer from the original and haven't had any problems yet

My iPhone is working now, but it's at 5% battery, I think it's good now. Thanks for the help!

jigjosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
IPhone 3G Die

Dear,
I have same Issue While running blackra1n it does not get started,
and iTunes and computer also not recognise, infact that Home button and the Sleep/Wake button Reset also not working, so i need to left iPhone for some time to let battery get dry ??

advcie me
Thanks
Jigjosh

i got Solution Follow the step as bellow

1)attach iPhone with Computer
2)Start itune
3)Press Home and Power Key for 10 Sec.( Make sure it press for 10 sec)
4)Release the Powerkey but Hold the home key till the time itune ask you for Restore the phone

thanks

bethann1166

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
Can anyone help with this?

I have an iPhone, had it since 2/18/09. Worked perfectly, didn't try to do that crazy jailbreaking stuff, but did notice last week some problems syncing to iTunes. Off point a bit but I have hundreds of hours of video that I watch at work with headphones that I have paid some serious $$ to iTunes for.
Yesteday morning, working fine; I checked movies for my son, all was well. Later in the day, someone called my land line and asked why I wasn't answering cell (it didn't RING!).
So I have tried all the press and holds, and have 3 or 4 times got iTunes to recognize it to try to restore and it errors out on me and won't work. ATT store wants full price for a new phone; now I'm willing to pay the "upgrade" price, but not full price. I find Apple's website confusing and can't find a link to contact them. Any suggestions?

Bakakage

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I have an iPhone, had it since 2/18/09. Worked perfectly, didn't try to do that crazy jailbreaking stuff, but did notice last week some problems syncing to iTunes. Off point a bit but I have hundreds of hours of video that I watch at work with headphones that I have paid some serious $$ to iTunes for.
Yesteday morning, working fine; I checked movies for my son, all was well. Later in the day, someone called my land line and asked why I wasn't answering cell (it didn't RING!).
So I have tried all the press and holds, and have 3 or 4 times got iTunes to recognize it to try to restore and it errors out on me and won't work. ATT store wants full price for a new phone; now I'm willing to pay the "upgrade" price, but not full price. I find Apple's website confusing and can't find a link to contact them. Any suggestions?
If you got a apple store nearby I suggest going there.

xlnguyen

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
I had the same issue with my new 3GS, I have taken all advices from this topic but it seem never wake up again..:( if any one found solution please share with me. thanks a lot

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
My 6 week old iPhone 3gs just decided to shut itself off and won't power on again. Same thing as everyone else, I know the battery was around 60%, just pressed home after using gasbag, then pressed the lock button and put it in my pocket. 10 minutes later - nothing. Held home & lock for 30 seconds. Nothing. Plugged into everything possible. Nothing. :(
Got an appointment first thing tomorrow.

EDIT: The "geniuses" couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Blamed it on the battery. Gave me a new phone.

juniebee

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2010
Thank you!

Thank you, MacRumors and AiralynRose for your response. This problem happened to me tonight, I came here and was saved! I'm sure you've helped many more out there - thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.