Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
The PowerMac is no longer supported by Apple on the software side - you might be able to get it to run a few years with PPC Linux, but that's up to you.

However, if you need massive amounts of RAM, disc throughput, and multiple monitors, the Quad may be right for you. On the other hand, a used 2006 MacPro should only be a couple-hundred dollars more, and if you were trying to buy an Apple tower, that may be the one to go for; As I said, for software the G5 is running out of time.

And if you can remember the "Megahertz Myth"? It was a good comparison for POWER versus Pentium 4. It came full circle when Intel released Core2, which gave several times the computational ability then POWER5 did at the time. To answer your question, for sheer computational ability, the iMac will be faster.

And if you're wondering, yes, I bought my G5 in April this year, and yes, I will be upgrading to a MacPro soon enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.