Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tapbots, the development team behind the popular Weightbot and Convertbot iPhone applications, has released its third application, Pastebot [App Store, $1.99]. Pastebot is an elegant and powerful copy-and-paste tool that offers tools for image and text manipulation, as well as syncing with local Macs via a free preference pane download.
- Save, organize, and edit text & image clippings with ease.
- Search capabilities and folders for organization.
- Apply text & image filters like "find & replace" on text or convert an image to black & white. 14 filters total with more on the way.
- Create new text clippings within the app.
- Create a new image clipping from your iPhone camera or import from your photo library.
- Useful metadata like image dimensions, character/word count and creation date.
- Copy items back to the iPhone/iPod clipboard with 1 tap.
- Send clippings as emails within the app or save images back to your photo library.
- Push text and images from your Mac to Pastebot instantly over wifi**
- Paste text and images to your Mac from your iPhone or iPod Touch instantly over wifi**
Tapbots has also put together a video demonstrating Pastebot's numerous built-in features, as well as those integrated features utilizing the Mac-based Pastebot Sync companion application.

Article Link: 'Pastebot' Brings Elegant Copy-and-Paste to the iPhone

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
A few cool features, but elegant? I don't think so, not in my book anyway. I thought Apple's implementation of copy/paste is by far the most intuitive and elegant I've seen on a phone. Seriously, and I'm not joking, even my grandma was able to understand it after I showed her only once. This woman still hasn't mastered the "recall/flashback/previous channel" button on her oversized remote, yet has no problem understanding copy/paste. Kinda tells you something....

sigalert

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
It's much more than copy/paste. It's an ultra fast, convenient way to sync bits of information from your Mac to your iPhone over wifi. If the app is open on your iPhone, anything you copy on your Mac automatically appears on your iPhone. Text or image.

That's cool!

ggbrown

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2003
A few cool features, but elegant? I don't think so, not in my book anyway. I thought Apple's implementation of copy/paste is by far the most intuitive and elegant I've seen on a phone. Seriously, and I'm not joking, even my grandma was able to understand it after I showed her only once. This woman still hasn't mastered the "recall/flashback/previous channel" button on her oversized remote, yet has no problem understanding copy/paste. Kinda tells you something....

Tapbot does make elegant applications, which is likely what the OP was referring to. Pastebot clearly employed the same design strategies in Tapbot.

I also don't think they're replacing Apple's Copy/Paste functionality, but rather extending and enhancing it.

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
This app looks pretty sweet! If it had the ability to import/sync more than just images and text (e.g., pdf files, .doc, etc'), it would be an instant purchase for me. That would perhaps take it from the realm of a simple, but elegant, clipboard type of app, to more of a mini finder. Perhaps that is not the direction the developers wished to go in, but for my needs it would be infinitely more useful. As is however, it is extremely well designed, and I may purchase it anyways. It's interface and simplicity seems like something Apple would have designed.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Huh, looks pretty neat, but I don't know how much I would really use it.

Kind of reminds me of the iClip widget. But also, I rarely use that.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
What is that iPhone stand they are using? I want it. It looks sturdy. It'll look good on my desk too.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Just take a screenshot with your iPhone (hold down Power and Home buttons.) Then do whatever you want with it from your camera roll. No need to sync with your Mac, just e-mail it to the person (or yourself), upload it to MobileMe, send via MMS, etc. And if you've downloaded PhoneView then you can pull everything off your iPhone, SMS messages, contacts, pics, everything.

If you're on a website and you only want a specific part of it, just zoom in on it and take a screenshot. I know, it's obvious, but it can be quite useful.

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/

Pastebot is nice, but it's rather redundant. Unless you want to save a series of clickable links or organize clippings into folders. Granted, editing images (and copied text) is nice, too.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Just bought this, it's awesome!
Supercool how you can sync your computer with it and copy stuff right from a Mac. Makes copying links, directions and images super easy!

malohkan

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
I'm constantly emailing myself notes, addresses, phone numbers, and web links to myself with the only intention of pulling it up on my iPhone, using it, and discarding it. It's quite a hassle. This sounds like a perfect solution of immediately moving that short burst of data exactly where I want it: the clipboard!

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
I'm constantly emailing myself notes, addresses, phone numbers, and web links to myself with the only intention of pulling it up on my iPhone, using it, and discarding it. It's quite a hassle. This sounds like a perfect solution of immediately moving that short burst of data exactly where I want it: the clipboard!

Yah exactly, I do the same things!
I think one of the coolest features is being able to copy images from your computer to your iPhone and being able to paste from the app to your computer!

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I really love the TapBot guys, and love the look and feel they give their apps!

That said, this app looks very well done, but I can't find much use for this app myself. The only thing that might be useful is if you could keep copying stuff (in other apps) without having to go into Pastebot each time. From the video, it looks like once you copy something, you have to go into Pastebot immediately and confirm it. (Unless I'm wrong). It would be great if you could just keep copying things in other apps, and then go into Pastebot whenever you were finally ready and ALL of the things you copied while in other apps would all be there. Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, I might actually consider buying this.

jedijoe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Boulder, CO
i like the dock/mount they had the iPhone mounted to when it was connected to the computer. Anyone know the details of that dock?

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Just take a screenshot with your iPhone (hold down Power and Home buttons.) Then do whatever you want with it from your camera roll. No need to sync with your Mac, just e-mail it to the person (or yourself), upload it to MobileMe, send via MMS, etc. And if you've downloaded PhoneView then you can pull everything off your iPhone, SMS messages, contacts, pics, everything.

All of those options take a lot longer than Pastebot's implementation.

LeoNobilis

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2006
The Netherlands

Apple's Copy/Paste implementation is excellent, no doubt. But what isn't elegant in a program interface designed by some of the best GUI masters among tens of thousands of iphone application developers?

An excellent application, indeed: very, very beautiful, very capable (it even contains text conversion, etc. actions; a remote clipboard, etc!), very useful! Give it a try, mate!

PS: You haven't acquired the iPhone for your grandmother, have you? That's not exactly the thing for grandmothers…

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple's Copy/Paste implementation is excellent, no doubt. But what isn't elegant in a program interface designed by some of the best GUI masters among tens of thousands of iphone application developers?
I guess im just not a fan of that style, its off putting to me. I don't like flashy interfaces, I feel a good interface is one that you don't even notice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.