Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob Mclovin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
So for the past few months my phones been jailbroken, and the battery was fine like it used to be. Last me the whole day. Now its going down 10%-15 in an hour while in sleep!

My Mobilesubstrate addons:
Backgrounder
Downloader
Five Icon Dock
Lockinfo
Preference Loader
Rotation Inhibitor
SnapTap
Unrestictor3g
Yourtube
BiteSMSsb
Bosspaper
Ipodpop
Iprotect
Libhide

Just noticed it started dying bad after install Snaptap, but thats not really a heavy app.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
This isn't the best way of finding out but from that list I have these and no battery issues...

Five Icon Dock
Lockinfo
Preference Loader
Bosspaper
Libhide

Maybe you could use sbsettings and toggle off an add-on one at a time until you see the battery go back to normal. It's worth a shot while waiting for someone who may know which add-on in your list drains a lot of battery power. Also, make sure you don't have anything running with Backgrounder that you may not have noticed at first.

scottuf

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
NPB, FL
its rotation inhibitor. when i installed that my battery died RAPIDLY, as soon as i took it off, back to normal.

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
its rotation inhibitor. when i installed that my battery died RAPIDLY, as soon as i took it off, back to normal.

what was your before and after approximate with and without RI?

i usually get 5.5hrs of usage and 12-16hrs of standby and i use RI. i feel like my battery life is not great, but it could be worse.

I cant live without R/I

aeaglex07

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2007
United States
i had some serious battery drainage after installing Winterboard.. my battery literally drained dropped 10% when i installed winterboard. I did a full restore and charged my battery up to 100% then drained it until it turned itself off. Then i let it recharge completely overnight and now my battery is fine. I can go 8 hours @ work using about 2-3 hours during that time and when i get home my battery is only down to 70%.
Recalibrating seemed to do the trick for me. I dont know if its winterboard or mobile substrate but somehow my battery calibration was off. but i do use backrgrounder and kirikae (which run off mobile substrate) with no isseus so i suspect winterboard is the culprit.

I have also heard of rotation inhibitor causing battery drain. I have stayed away from it for that very reason.

scottuf

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
NPB, FL
what was your before and after approximate with and without RI?

i usually get 5.5hrs of usage and 12-16hrs of standby and i use RI. i feel like my battery life is not great, but it could be worse.

I cant live without R/I

before installing it i could leave my house in the morn, and not need to recharge it til after work (~8-5/6), after installing it, battery dead by noon. after uninstalling back to normal. confirmed that was the cause, no other changes made.

now i'm sure i have other things on there that might lead to faster battery drain than a non-jb phone, but none of them have the affect the RI has.

Rob Mclovin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Turned off RotationInhibitator and deleted it, and battery is great agian. WEird thing is i never even noticed it after i originally downloaded it.

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Another big battery drainer is SSH. If you have SSH installed, make sure to turn on the SBsettings toggle, and beware that it automatically turns itself on after every reboot (a nice safety feature so that you can SSH into your phone if something goes wrong by just rebooting it). When I've forgotten to toggle it off, my battery dies really fast.

HKeleher

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
I had reinstalled my phone (3Gs) from scratch and jailbroke it with Blackra1n then installed and set everything up again only to be massively dismayed that the battery was 1/3 or 1/4 what it used to be. I used to be able to go 20 hours standby and 4 hours usage before I needed to recharge (which isn't stellar to begin with but it was doable for me.) I would literally watch my battery tick away while using it and it would only last half a day with 2 hours usage.

I searched the forum and read a large number of fixes and suggestions. I saw that Rotation Inhibitor was a fairly common issue for some but I'm not using that at all. Others had problems with Winterboard and/or SBSettings (two things I do use but had used before with expected results. It does drain the battery more than without but not an unreasonable amount... at least for me.)

So I did two of the easier suggestions I ran across that corroborated with Apple support in some cases:

1. Turned off Push, power cycle and turned it back on.
  2. Allow the battery to drain until it shuts off then recharge to a full 100% before using again.
This worked like a champ. It may have been one or the other... maybe even a little of both. Things did seem to improve greatly with the first change and I figured doing the second wouldn't hurt and may even potentially help. I'm currently sitting at 69% battery after 2 hours use and 10 hours standby. Just yesterday this amount of usage would have required me to start recharging as I would be in the red.

Good luck to those with trouble still, hopefully this works and if not I hope you find the fix you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.