Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Man, I think that the iPhone isn't quite as flexible as my iPod considering that it is missing a graphic equalizer to control sound output from the headphone jack. Also I haven't tested the support for Apple lossless and hapless but anyone know about these aspects?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Man, I think that the iPhone isn't quite as flexible as my iPod considering that it is missing a graphic equalizer to control sound output from the headphone jack. Also I haven't tested the support for Apple lossless and hapless but anyone know about these aspects?

The iPod doesn't have a graphic equalizer. It has some preset equalization curves, and the iPhone has those same settings. Go into Settings->iPod->EQ. Don't know about Apple Lossless and gapless, but I'm quite confident they'll work.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I use Apple Lossless only and it works fine. Just getting my UE super.fi 5Pro IEM's to work was a problerm.

vijer

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
Yes and that is idiotic

The iPod doesn't have a graphic equalizer. It has some preset equalization curves, and the iPhone has those same settings. Go into Settings->iPod->EQ. Don't know about Apple Lossless and gapless, but I'm quite confident they'll work.

I have 2000 songs on my iPhone 32gb do you think that applying a SINGLE EQ cure to all of them is sensible? That is a ridiculous concept, some are jazz, some country, some hip-hop, some classic rock, some alternative, etc. and anyone that has listened to enough music will tell you they definitely do not have the same audio characteristics.

Considering how much Apple likes to pat themselves on the back you would think they could have designed the iPod (which is what it is called even on the iPhone) audio controls better.

kcfroines

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
I have 2000 songs on my iPhone 32gb do you think that applying a SINGLE EQ cure to all of them is sensible? That is a ridiculous concept, some are jazz, some country, some hip-hop, some classic rock, some alternative, etc. and anyone that has listened to enough music will tell you they definitely do not have the same audio characteristics.

Considering how much Apple likes to pat themselves on the back you would think they could have designed the iPod (which is what it is called even on the iPhone) audio controls better.

you can set a different EQ setting for each song in iTunes, just right click, go to get more info, then in the options tab, then change the equalizer preset.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Since someone bumped this old thread, and the subject has over 20,000 views...

APPLE, PUT A MANUAL EQ ON THE IPHONE / IPOD TOUCH.

one just like in iTunes on the computer will do just fine...

it is sorely needed, and seems like a simple software upgrade.

Most likely Apple is holding on to the feature intil iPhone 4.0....

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Yes it will, but it drains more battery.

I know it drains the battery more but can you provide a link showing where iTunes adjustments are transferred to the iPhone or iPod? My understanding is that iTunes adjustments stay on iTunes and are independent of the devices.

Thanks

Edit: This link sort of contradicts your answer: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10365764&#10365764. The article is a bit confusing as well.

I wish Apple would sort this out.

PopeBrian

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2009
Accessibility Issues

There are accessibility issues to this problem which Apple need to address.

I have hearing loss at the high end of the audio spectrum and so need to wear hearing aids to compensate when not listening to my iPod. Of course, wearing these at the same time as my earphones is impossible when listening to my iPod, and so I would like to be able to boost the frequencies I otherwise lose.

In other words, this is not a 'nice to have', it is a necessity and Apple should act before they're compelled to by the US Section 508 legislation - I see Blackberry are on the ball in this respect - see http://www.section508.gov/

imax2k2

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
This is correct. The otehr guy is wrong. I created custom EQ curves in iTunes they didn't transfer to a iPhone

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but to transfer the custom eq on to the phone, we need to hard code it in iTunes,
i.e right click on the song in itunes, and under option we can set the eq that will synced to the itouch device, however this is not a solution.

I have just bought a new pair of shure se530, and its gross injustice to be hearing them with the presets, is there anything on cydia that does solve this?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

musicbymicah

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2010

I think it's completely sensible; I'm wondering why I can't set a master curve for the different spaces I'm in. I don't know people that EQ for entertainment. EQ helps with frequencies that get a little out of control in different spaces. I have a curve for the crappy stereo in my kitchen. I've smoothed out the 1 and 2k peaks that are inherent to very small low-grade speakers. When I listen to my MBP there, the small stereo is much more enjoyable. In different cars, an EQ would be very valuable when the stereo is a little less than desirable. The shape of the car and different kinds of speakers will always accentuate certain tones in the music, and therefore change the sound of the audio, and often in a way that is unwanted. Especially when driving.

I don't think the OP or anyone else looking for an EQ are ignorant.

elephantcandy

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
the perfect equalizer app for iphone; waiting for approval

Hi,

We just submitted our app 'EQu' to Apple. I guess that within a week it will be available in the AppStore.

check it out: Video

EQu, Shape your sound!

The first complete equalizer for the iPhone / iPod Touch.

Need more pop or boom? A crispier hi-hat sound or pounding bass? Equalization is the key getting the perfect sound from your system.

With EQu, shape your sound to match a particular style, your mood and your acoustic environment. Subtly adjust the spectral balance to get the most out of your speakers and headphones, at any playback volume.

Whereas conventional equalizers allow you to amplify or attenuate predefined bands, with EQu you can design an extremely precise and smooth frequency response by directly manipulating more than 1000 discrete bands. EQu's linear phase design also preserves all of your music's fidelity and introduces no spatial distortion.

FEATURES
* Play your own music (no importing needed)
* Easy touch interface for shaping your sound
* EQu can be used as a complete MP3 player while you open other apps
* EQu works with most iPod players at home or in your car
* ByPass mode to compare your sound
* Save your own presets
* 3 different modes to "see" your sound-shape
* More than 1000 frequency bands
* Linear phase design
* No spatial distortion
* Cool presets
* Choose your own colors for the display and spectrum
* Retina ready

ATTENTION
This app only works on iPhone 3GS and 4G or iPod Touch 2nd and 3th generation. Do NOT buy if your device is not mentioned.

G35Coupe

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Hi,

We just submitted our app 'EQu' to Apple. I guess that within a week it will be available in the AppStore.

EQu, Shape your sound!

Need more pop or boom? A crispier hi-hat sound or pounding bass? Equalization is the key getting the perfect sound from your system.

With EQu, shape your sound to match a particular style, your mood and your acoustic environment. Subtly adjust the spectral balance to get the most out of your speakers and headphones, at any playback volume.

Whereas conventional equalizers allow you to amplify or attenuate predefined bands, with EQu you can design an extremely precise and smooth frequency response by directly manipulating more than 1000 discrete bands. EQu's linear phase design also preserves all of your music's fidelity and introduces no spatial distortion.

FEATURES
* Save your own presets
* Linear phase design
* No spatial distortion
* Cool presets
* Retina ready

ATTENTION
This app only works on iPhone 3GS and 4G or iPod Touch 2nd and 3th generation. Do NOT buy if your device is not mentioned.

I can definitely appreciate the effort put into this type of an app... but i dont think its convenient to have to open up an app just to configure a graphic equalizer... It has to be integrated into the iPod app, OR Apple should allow a lot more freedom for developers to produce something better than the iPod app..
It sucks because this feature can be found on my 10 year old iRiver mp3 player, and it does help a whooole lot in terms of how music is heard...

i hate having to turn down the volume because the treble on certain tracks is unbearable at high volumes no matter which headphones or "preset" equalizer settings are used

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Hi,

EQu, Shape your sound!

FEATURES
* Save your own presets
* Linear phase design
* No spatial distortion
* Cool presets
* Retina ready

ATTENTION

I am surprised your app is not more popular. Have not tried it myself but I am about to throw $3 your way to give it a try...MAYBE YOU NEED A BETTER APP ICON?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Hi,

EQu, Shape your sound!

<SNIP>

Dude, that looks great (congrats!), but I pretty much never spend money on apps if I can't try them out first, because I got burned on the first few apps that I ever decided to buy for iOS. So if you could make a demo version that only works for 15 minutes or something like that, then I would definitely be much more inclined to buy. For me, no try=no buy.

isx

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
Fantastic!

@elephantcandy
This app has the potential for greatness, with a few more features and a bug sweep it will be there. The icon is very sleek I like it, no need to change it. The interface is beautiful and simple.

The first thing that needs adding is the ability to control the music playing via the iPod controls like pandora does. This is detrimental as to implement as it will give users more reasons to use this instead of the iPod app.

The second thing you need to add is better music searching. As it is you can only search via playlist or all tracks. You need to add artist, album, genre etc.

Bug report time.

This app works very well so far, you have some good code running by the sounds of it. However there are a few bugs I have noticed.

The first and most annoying of which is as soon as I press play it jumps to the next song. This happens every time I stop the music and press play and as soon as I open the app and press play. Its very annoying

Also I understand that this app must be quite processor heavy but every now and then the music will skip, especially with heavy changes to the EQ and navigating to the config page.

One more thing, On occasion when I change the presets or my own saved preset, it fails to change the sound until I select it again. Not sure what could be causing this.

Overall I think you have the making of an epically popular app, especially for audiophiles and with a few changes (like the ones mentioned above) and the right marketing (E.G perhaps a sample for review by the guys at head-fi.org) you will be raking in the cash!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!:D:D

Hi,

EQu, Shape your sound!

FEATURES
* Save your own presets
* Linear phase design
* No spatial distortion
* Cool presets
* Retina ready

ATTENTION

johanwhite

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2010
I had the same problem like you. But then I tried to solve my problem and got to know that the iPod does not have a graphic equalizer. It has some preset equalization curves. You should do some settings in it.

drdeputy

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009

So if you're playing a variety of music on your home stereo, you reset the tone controls for each song before it plays? I didn't think so. Please.

Lapaz

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
So where is it?

I have an iphone4, there are no options for itunes or for a GE in the menu offered when I tap the settings icon, only options are for sound profiles for the phone itself!! Can anyone tell me where I can find the graphic equaliser exactly:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.