Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
I'm going to be travelling to South America this winter, so I need a big backpack that will also protect my (future) PowerBook from damage, and from being too 'hey-that's-a-laptop-bag' syndrome. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
This may be a bit small for that kinda travelling but i use the "Borealis" made by The North Face. I was kinda in the same boat as you. Needed a bag for gym/light hiking but also needed a laptop bag. This bag has a sleeve in the main compartment for laptops and it just so happens to fit my 15" tibook perfectly. May not be what you need but check it out anyway. As can be expected from The North Face, the bag is exceptionally built and has very comfortable padded straps compared to many others of its form factor.

HuskyDomains

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2004
While I use that very North Face backpack for academic purposes, I have to recommend either a Buzz or Smart Alec from Tom Bihn (TomBihn.com). These the messanger bag I received from them was top notch quality (Similar to products I've used from The North Face) however their bags are designed specifically for Notebooks... Best of luck with the trip

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
if i were you i would just get whatever backpack you want but invest in the new timbuk2 laptop case. i have the old one and it is wonderful and the new one protects it even more.

http://www.timbuk2.com

iJon

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
HuskyDomains said:
While I use that very North Face backpack for academic purposes, I have to recommend either a Buzz or Smart Alec from Tom Bihn (TomBihn.com). These the messanger bag I received from them was top notch quality (Similar to products I've used from The North Face) however their bags are designed specifically for Notebooks... Best of luck with the trip

what about pairing a North Face backpack with say, the Monolith?? i ahve the borealis myself and am considering this option. when i don't need the laptop, i can take out the entire PB-sleeve unit and have much more space for books without the padding taking up space. this is for university.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up ordering an Oakely Icon 2.0 yesterday, so when that comes in I'll see what it's like for a laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.