Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kieonsegg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Just ordered my 1.6ghz 120gb rev "b" i think it is macbook air today refurbsihed. The 1.8 120gb isnt noteably faster right? 1.6 should be good enough for msn,web,itunes?

To the initial topic.
Ive heard some scarry sutff with the battery
What are most of you getting? (charging and battery life, because i hear it takes forever to charge)
If it does end up taking forever to charge, will it be okay to purchase a more powerful charger off eBay??

What is everyones AVerage battery life when say, (normal brightness, bluetooth off, wifi on, 1 safari (2 tabs) itunes (playing music for about 50% of the time at full blast) and typing to word doc's?

Thanks for your input!

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
The most battery life I've got was 6:03 Hours. But this was an exceptional case because all I had was music running and no screen.

On average, I get ~3:30 Hours with bluetooth and wifi on, screen at 75% brightness or higher and sound at 100%.

On gaming, I get ~1:30-2:00 Hours with bluetooth and wifi on, screen at 100% brightness and sound at 100% also.

Charging times for me seems to be about 2:00 Hours from 10% to 85%, then another 0:30 from 86% to 100% full.

However, how much you use the battery actually affects charging times as I've noticed on an older Rev A system. Over 100 Cycles, the charging times decreased by an hour vs a new battery.

The times are from my Rev. C, 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard and Windows 7. I have over 470 cycles, system was bought June 11, 2009 (Just passed 6 months)

kieonsegg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
The most battery life I've got was 6:03 Hours. But this was an exceptional case because all I had was music running and no screen.

On average, I get ~3:30 Hours with bluetooth and wifi on, screen at 75% brightness or higher and sound at 100%.

On gaming, I get ~1:30-2:00 Hours with bluetooth and wifi on, screen at 100% brightness and sound at 100% also.

Charging times for me seems to be about 2:00 Hours from 10% to 85%, then another 0:30 from 86% to 100% full.

However, how much you use the battery actually affects charging times as I've noticed on an older Rev A system. Over 100 Cycles, the charging times decreased by an hour vs a new battery.

The times are from my Rev. C, 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard and Windows 7. I have over 470 cycles, system was bought June 11, 2009 (Just passed 6 months)

Thanks for your response.
I know you had the SSD model but how will you compare that to the appilcation start-ups in the HDD i just bought?? Hopefully it continually opens stuff quick through its life, it is a 15 hundred dollar machine..

**off topic** How do i transfer my itunes library across with bluetooth from my pc to my mac. Do i drag over the itunes music folder and what else? The xml library file?? kinda confused, dont wanna loose all my settings and ratings etc

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I know you had the SSD model but how will you compare that to the appilcation start-ups in the HDD i just bought?? Hopefully it continually opens stuff quick through its life, it is a 15 hundred dollar machine..

**off topic** How do i transfer my itunes library across with bluetooth from my pc to my mac. Do i drag over the itunes music folder and what else? The xml library file?? kinda confused, dont wanna loose all my settings and ratings etc

This is exactly why I'm going SSD for my next machine (which will likely be a MBA). My 2006 MBP on a platter drive takes forever to open applications now!

jetoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
Hi there,

After 1 year, i'm just using it sometimes. It last 3h with bt and wifi deactivated.
I can watch two 1h 1/2 movies, which is pretty good. :)

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
It really depends on what I'm doing;

If I turn off everything except preview I can read a book for a good 7-8 hours, given the display is not turned up too much.

I can get an average of 3-4 hours of typical browsing web type usage

I can get 2 hours of video watching

So it really depends on what your doing with the machine :)

kieonsegg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
thanks for all of your comments.

i think ill love my mba either way :p

is there not a 3rd party battery made by any maufacturers that give it say 7 hours?

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
I get right around 4 hours with my Rev. B 1.86 SSD when doing normal stuff (web browsing, office apps, etc.). It does take a while (4-5 hours) to charge from dead when using it. I usually have the brightness almost all the way up, bluetooth off, wifi on.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I get around 4-4:30 of normal usage on my Air. When out and about, I usually have wifi on, bluetooth off, screen 50% and lower, and the keyboard backlight on. It's never taken overly long to charge - seems about the same as any other MacBook. If you find that it's taking too long, feel free to get a cord from an MBP or something - I use the 85W adapter from a friend's MBP occasionally on my Air when I'm stuck in his dorm without a cord and it works just fine.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA

Price does not justify speed. Just something's expensive doesn't mean it'll be fast. Just like for cars, you can have a faster car costing thousands less.

HDD shouldn't be insanely slow. I've found it's about 1/2 the speed of the stock SSD, which isn't fast either.

Personally, my next system will have a hard drive and not an SSD. SSD is just a pain in the ass for me cause of all the Virtual Machines and large amounts of writes done on a daily basis. Bash all you want, but an SSD' speed, no matter how fast, dont work well with virtual machines that does heavy read and write at the same time (in which SSD usually have a problem with, unless you go with SLC and not MLC)

jetoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
From your comments, what I see is that battery life is not higher with HDD or SSD. Can you confirm?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.