Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agr5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
I really want to buy a 27" iMac i5 but I am not going to do so until Apple puts a HDMI input on the machine. I feel that it is unacceptable that they didn't include one already. I mean the screen is gorgeous and should be able to be used for a display for a HDMI device.

Apple put HDMI input on the iMac!!!! and I would gladly spend $2000+ on your machine :)

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Apple made the decision to go with displayport sorry. Look for an alternative monitor with HDMI, there are plenty on the market.

agr5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Apple made the decision to go with displayport sorry. Look for an alternative monitor with HDMI, there are plenty on the market.

I know there are plenty on the market... Thats why I don't know why Apple won't do it.

agr5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Then you'll probably have to wait forever.

DisplayPort is more advanced than HDMI so Apple won't jump on that technology.

If it's more advanced then why can't I run a PS3, 360 or Bluray player through it?

That's just silly. An adaptor is $12.

I don't think a $12 adapter will allow you to run a PS3 on the display...

agr5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Probably because Apple would rather put its weight behind a royalty-free standard like DisplayPort than a royalty-due one like HDMI.

Alright well, if they don't want to use HDMI, then at least make it easy to use the computer as a display.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Because you also don't seem to accept that other people feel differently, especially those that can do anything about the situation. If you really wanted an HDMI input on your machine, you shouldn't have bought an iMac. It's not like it was a secret that there's no HDMI.

agr5

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Because you also don't seem to accept that other people feel differently, especially those that can do anything about the situation. If you really wanted an HDMI input on your machine, you shouldn't have bought an iMac. It's not like it was a secret that there's no HDMI.

Did you even read the OP? It clearly states I want to purchase one, not that I did purchase one...

Also, if other people don't want to use the computer as a display for PS3, 360 or bluray player they don't have too. I just think it should be an option.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
The main thing is, a monitor usually lasts a lot longer than a computer. Given the size of the display on the iMacs, a video input to use the iMac as a monitor would be a green option, i.e. recycle your iMac into a monitor.

God of Biscuits

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
I really want to buy a 27" iMac i5 but I am not going to do so until Apple puts a HDMI input on the machine. I feel that it is unacceptable that they didn't include one already. I mean the screen is gorgeous and should be able to be used for a display for a HDMI device.

Apple put HDMI input on the iMac!!!! and I would gladly spend $2000+ on your machine :)

Seriously? You're going to hold off on buying an entire computer because you can't use it as monitor for your TiVo?

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan

That's the beauty of the displayport you can you any connection you want.
want VGA...got it
want DVI...got it
want HDMI...got it (use a DVI to HDMI adapter)

Apple doesn't want a hundred different connects on the back of an iMac.

strike1555

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
DisplayPort is the biggest failure Apple has signed on to, almost as big of a failure as firewire.

No control via CEC (one of the most innovative features of HDMI), no YCC, and piss poor bandwidth (LOL, 8.6 gb maximum at only 2 meters?).

HDMI 1.3a trounces the junk that is called DisplayPort. Expect Apple to move over soon, when they also add Blu Ray.

Apple fails miserably in the home theater department.

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
That's the beauty of the displayport you can you any connection you want.
want VGA...got it
want DVI...got it
want HDMI...got it (use a DVI to HDMI adapter)

Apple doesn't want a hundred different connects on the back of an iMac.

Some people would like to be able to hear what they're watching.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
DisplayPort is the biggest failure Apple has signed on to, almost as big of a failure as firewire.

No control via CEC (one of the most innovative features of HDMI), no YCC, and piss poor bandwidth (LOL, 8.6 gb maximum at only 2 meters?).

HDMI 1.3a trounces the junk that is called DisplayPort. Expect Apple to move over soon, when they also add Blu Ray.

LOL. Maybe cause they dont want to be in the home theater market where you can buy a "home theater system!" for $99 at wal*mart

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg

I semi agree with you.
1. How is firewire a failure? I dont mind it, but I think it will become obsolete after usb 3.0 is out. Or at the very least FW will be on the way out.
2. HDMI 1.3 has only a 10.x GB/s Bandwidth, which compared to MDP isnt that much better. And I believe technologies aren't even using that much yet. (Besides maybe, 1080P at 240Hz, which isnt even at 10 GB/s I believe).The apple display is not 240Hz, so that argument becomes non existent.
3. I completely agree about wanting to have an all in one audio/video connection too, and thats the only knock I have on MDP. MDP can do audio too, but apple has turned it off. If they activated it, with firmware possibly, than MDP would be no different that HDMI..Besides if intel has its way, LightPeak will be a standard in a few years to come. For now if you need HDMI, get a connector, and if audio was a huge deal to you anyway, youd use an optical connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.