Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

162820-hbo_1.jpg
HBO, the popular U.S. premium cable channel, yesterday announced the release of a new iPhone application [App Store, Free] offering schedule information, behind-the-scenes videos, and direct links to iTunes for purchasing content.Using the innovative native functionality (scroll, pinch and zoom) of iPhone and iPod touch, the HBO App allows consumers to easily navigate through programming schedules, view short form video clips and episode guides, create reminder alerts for programs of interest as well as purchase full-length episodes and other content on iTunes and Amazon.com.The HBO application also allows users to automatically view program schedules based on their location, as well as offering Facebook and Twitter integration to allow users to share information from the app with others. A "hidden objects" game is also included within the application."We think the HBO App for iPhone and iPod touch will quickly attract both HBO's loyal fans as well as new consumers," said Alison Moore, Vice President, Brand Strategy. "With the most up-to-date content and information about our programming, schedules, stars, and more, the HBO App will become a key entertainment resource for our consumers."Further information on the HBO application for the iPhone and iPod touch, including a "sneak peek" video, is available on HBO's dedicated page.

162821-hbo_2.jpg

Article Link: HBO Releases Application for iPhone

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I'm starting to get the feeling that these companies are making apps just for the sake of it.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
I'm starting to get the feeling that these companies are making apps just for the sake of it.

Same here. I mean I can't complain that we are getting apps of everything but I think it's getting a little bit out of hand but whatever.

rebeccamartin

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
what ever it is if its useful to us then no problem we can welcome everything....lol.... and anything...

StudioGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
A good thing

I don't think this is meaningless.

I think this is linked with Apple bringing more media/TV content access through their current and future ;) devices.

Looking forward to 2010 with AAPL.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Downloaded and deleted. I can get a schedule via one of the various TV apps on my phone. I was hoping there would be true On Demand capabilities here, but unless I missed something there isn't.

Looks slick, but not much benefit to me.

spydr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2005
MD
Can't blame these companies wanting to stay 'relevant' with efforts such as these – I see it as a step out of their tech dormancy.
Who knows what capabilities are to emerge in a couple of years after Apple tablet! :D

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'm waiting for my cleaner to release an iphone app.

5 years ago, who would have dreamed we'd be sitting about complaining about the vast flow of slick, polished applications for an Apple gadget?

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7D11)

More useless stuff to fill up my iPhone with

atomsapple

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
Mpls, MN

haha.. i must agree with you. especially when they all pretty much do the something as their website pretty much. how about HBO pushes down boundaries like they do with their original material on their program.. and supply episodes to stream on the iphone at a certain price.. kind of like how amazon does. then it would be something worthy of being downloaded. :cool:

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Stop complaining the same could be said for 90% off the apps in the app store. I really don't get why the app store is such a boasting point when its clearly flooded with JUNK!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.