Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

financeguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
I just dropped my MBA, and now it has a bunch of chips on the side of it. Its working fine but now I worried that my Applecare is void. If a year from now the there's a problem and I send it in, will they automatically assume that because it is chipped, it was due to a fall? Any advice?

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I just dropped my MBA, and now it has a bunch of chips on the side of it. Its working fine but now I worried that my Applecare is void. If a year from now the there's a problem and I send it in, will they automatically assume that because it is chipped, it was due to a fall? Any advice?

I would assume they would think its from a fall, I mean what else could cause the chips, unless you beat it with a rock haha. I tend to say that Apple will say that they can't fix it under AppleCare because it had been dropped, but who knows maybe you will get someone nice. I would suggest that if there were ever something to go wrong that you do take it to an Apple Store and dont send it in, the Geniuses tend to be more forgiving than the people on the phone. :)

financeguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
The photo quality sucks but here is a picture of the side. It's pretty obvious that it was hit, but what if I were to tell them that I just bumped it on a counter. I guess that would not make it any better though.

Attachments

• IMG00016-20091222-1955.jpg
    IMG00016-20091222-1955.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 138

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Just don't bring it to their attention and allow them to ask questions. If you need work done on it under apple care go in there explain whats wrong replicate the issue if possible and let it be.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
First, sorry for your unfortunate accident. Nobody should ask why you dropped it... an accident is never intentional hence the name ACCIDENT!

Second, unfortunately Apple has a reputation on the forums of voiding almost any warranty for any reason like a bump or drop. It seems they can void the whole system if there is visible damage from a drop.

I hope that if you have any problems with it, that Apple will do the right thing and cover it under warranty. If you haven't bought AppleCare, I would avoid that until you get clarification from Apple, as it could be a waste of your money. I always recommend people use the standard first year warranty for the first eleven months, and then buy AppleCare just before the full year is up. Then if there has been a theft or a drop, you can avoid buying the AppleCare and save your money.

Some people have reported that after a drop if you pay Apple to fix it all, Apple will restore the warranty. But that could be extremely expensive.

Lastly, I have found MBA lids and cases on eBay for $35 to $50. If you have the experience, you could replace the case by yourself and then make the MBA like new.

Good luck.

macroars

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Might not be a problem

My alu Powerbook G4 12" looked really used with both new and old dents when I got a new harddrive. At least if the dents look worn I would not concern it as a problem. And hey - one of the reasons for alu and not plastic it that it ages with grace - and hence dents and chips are a natural part of aging.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
yes they'll restore the earranty if u pay to get the warranty work done plus actually
changing the case to make it good as before the drop. It's like 400 something from my experience from my friends MacBook aluminum.

First, sorry for your unfortunate accident. Nobody should ask why you dropped it... an accident is never intentional hence the name ACCIDENT!

Second, unfortunately Apple has a reputation on the forums of voiding almost any warranty for any reason like a bump or drop. It seems they can void the whole system if there is visible damage from a drop.

I hope that if you have any problems with it, that Apple will do the right thing and cover it under warranty. If you haven't bought AppleCare, I would avoid that until you get clarification from Apple, as it could be a waste of your money. I always recommend people use the standard first year warranty for the first eleven months, and then buy AppleCare just before the full year is up. Then if there has been a theft or a drop, you can avoid buying the AppleCare and save your money.

Some people have reported that after a drop if you pay Apple to fix it all, Apple will restore the warranty. But that could be extremely expensive.

Lastly, I have found MBA lids and cases on eBay for $35 to $50. If you have the experience, you could replace the case by yourself and then make the MBA like new.

Good luck.

periopdoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Kalispell, Montana
I took my MBA Rev A in for the inevitable hinge repair about two weeks ago. There was a small dent in the middle of the lid and the front corner was bent inward making it look like the lid was misaligned. If I were a warranty person I would have wondered if the computer had been dropped and the hinge damage resulted (mine was never dropped and I have no idea how it got bent though I suspect my four-year-old has something to do with both damages.). There were two small chips on the base where the metal connector on the strap from my case rubbed the side when I didn't zip up the case one time. Not only did they not question whether the hinge damage was my fault, when I picked up my freshly repaired computer two days later, there was a new lid on it. The repair was listed on the invoice but there was no charge.

So I doubt it will be a problem. If it is, just take it to a different store and see what their response is. Oh and act dumb. Don't tell them about the chips. Just let them notice it and see what they say

- pod

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
I took my MBA Rev A in for the inevitable hinge repair about two weeks ago. There was a small dent in the middle of the lid and the front corner was bent inward making it look like the lid was misaligned. If I were a warranty person I would have wondered if the computer had been dropped and the hinge damage resulted (mine was never dropped and I have no idea how it got bent though I suspect my four-year-old has something to do with both damages.). There were two small chips on the base where the metal connector on the strap from my case rubbed the side when I didn't zip up the case one time. Not only did they not question whether the hinge damage was my fault, when I picked up my freshly repaired computer two days later, there was a new lid on it. The repair was listed on the invoice but there was no charge.

So I doubt it will be a problem. If it is, just take it to a different store and see what their response is. Oh and act dumb. Don't tell them about the chips. Just let them notice it and see what they say

- pod

that is because they replace the lid with the hinges. I know it's dumb, but the hinges are actually welded (or somehow attached) to the inside of the lid behind the screen. Therefore, it is cheaper to put in a whole new lid and screen than to tear it apart and replace just the hinges. Did you notice that your screen was new too???

financeguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
I thought that as an option, I might be able to take it in now, let them run tests on it, and note on my record that the MBA is fine even with the chips. If something happens in the future, the note will show that it wasn't due to a fall. However, it doesn't seem that they would do such a thing.

I'll just take my chances in the future, and let them ask the questions as some have suggested.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
The previous owner accidentally dropped the MacBook Air right before she sold it to me, it left a huge dent in the bottom case and bent the top right corner of the screen. I took it into get the hinge problem fixed, and they didn't mention anything about the dent and the bent corner. It was fixed when I got it back. I've had many others things replaced with AppleCare after that happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.