Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corbinschappel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
I recently got a new Macbook Pro (2.66/4GB) and a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter to connect to my SyncMaster 226BW monitor. The first time I plugged it in the screen would come up for just a second and then go black, repeating constantly. I checked around some forums and the only thing that has worked is changing the System Preferences from Better battery life to High Performance. I was wondering if this is something you just have to do, or if I am doing something incorrectly?

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I recently got a new Macbook Pro (2.66/4GB) and a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter to connect to my SyncMaster 226BW monitor. The first time I plugged it in the screen would come up for just a second and then go black, repeating constantly. I checked around some forums and the only thing that has worked is changing the System Preferences from Better battery life to High Performance. I was wondering if this is something you just have to do, or if I am doing something incorrectly?

Did you click Detect Displays in System Preferences > Displays?

Also, try changing resolution on the external monitor.

corbinschappel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
Did you click Detect Displays in System Preferences > Displays?

Also, try changing resolution on the external monitor.

I'm sorry, I totally forgot to mention that stuff. I did do that and it was ok at the default, lower resolution, but when I changed it to 1680 x 1050, that is when the flickering started to happen.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I'm sorry, I totally forgot to mention that stuff. I did do that and it was ok at the default, lower resolution, but when I changed it to 1680 x 1050, that is when the flickering started to happen.

Right. So you need to look up the model number of your external display, and then read what the max resolution/refresh rate is, and set those.

That's it.

corbinschappel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
It says Max Sync Rate (V x H) 75 Hz x 81 KHz.

But, when I try to go and change it in the display settings, it only lets me click on 60 Hz.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
Has anyone found a solution for this. I just bought a 13" uMBP 2.53Ghz and when I connect my external Samsung SyncMaster T260HD monitor, every now and then the screen goes completely black for 1 or 2 seconds, or the both 1/3 of the screen will flicker with lines. I'm using a MiniDisplay port to DVI adaptor. Prior to this I had a late 2006 17" MacBook Pro and connected all the time with absolutely no problem. I tried changing the refresh rate, however, like the OP I can only select 60Hz. The resolution of the display is set at 1900 x 1200, which is the max of the monitor.

Is the problem with the adaptor or with the computer because before this the monitor is working fine. I also use it as a TV with no problems, and for playing my PS3.

Any ideas? If not I'm probably going to have to call Apple.

paddyhazard

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2010
London
I'm getting this problem with my macbook pro and an nec multisync ea241wm when my resolution is 1920 x 1200. It also wont let me set the refresh rate to anything other than 60Hz which is apparently they monitors recommended refresh rate for that resolution. Do you think that it might help if i connect it via vga instead of minidisplay port to div?

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
Alright so I called Apple support yesterday and they had me hold the option + control + power button for 5 seconds when turned off (not sure what this resets). And then reset the PRAM, and the flickering has seemed to disappear. Worth a try if you haven't done it already.

paddyhazard

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2010
London
Well i've managed to sort out my screen which was really bad (completely un-usable at 1920x1200). I went to the apple store and got various cables and connectors along with some i already had. The mini-displayport to dvi adaptors didn't work, the apple one performed just as badly as the cheap ebay version with any dvi cables. I managed to get my screen to work perfectly with a cheap minidisplay port to hdmi adaptor and an hdmi to dvi cable from the apple store. Perfect at 1920 x 1200 now and i can return the expensive apple connector that doesn't work.

Lots of other people seem to have a problem similar to this so these are the bits that sorted my problem.

http://tinyurl.com/yb8eabz this from ebay
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TR842ZM/A - this from the apple store

I've had problems with mdp - dvi and vga but mdp - hdmi has been perfect for me on monitors and tvs. Hope this helps someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.