Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
It looks like the latest release of MakeMKV has added live playback of Blu-ray discs:

http://www.makemkv.com/download/

Edit: Here's how it's done:

Insert a Blu-ray disc, then after it mounts in the Finder launch Make MKV 1.4.10 beta. After it reads the disc, click on the Open Disc icon and it starts decrypting the disc. This takes about 30 seconds to complete. You're then presented with a list of titles - find the largest as that's likely the movie. Next click on the Make MKV server icon to launch the server, then click on the http link in the server box. This opens a window in your web browser with something like this:

This page is designed to be read by robots, not humans. For this it is a valid xhtml text document with a simple structure. Each page contains exactly one table that in turn contains name-value pairs which may point to other tables (web pages) or files to stream.
This feature is experimental - discs that use seamless branching will likely not work.
name value
version MakeMKV v1.4.10 beta darwin(x86-release)
address 10.0.0.2:51000
titles /web/titles

Click on '/web/titles' to get to the next window:

name value
type Blu-ray disc
name Star Trek Disc 1
titlecount 5
title0 /web/title0
title1 /web/title1
title2 /web/title2
title3 /web/title3
title4 /web/title4

In the case of Star Trek, title2 is the main feature. I click on the title2 link and then get this in a new Firefox tab:

name value
id 2
duration 2:06:50
chaptercount 14
formatcount 2
format0 m2ts
file0 /stream/title2.m2ts
format1 ts
file1 /stream/title2.ts

Click on the link /stream/title2.m2ts and a new tab opens in Firefox with the Quicktime icon. Copy the URL and then open VLC, choose File > Open Network and paste the URL into the box, hit return and the movie starts playing.

I think there might be a plugin for Plex in the next day or two that will simplify this. Keep your fingers crossed.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
There doesn't seem to be any way to play the disc. Must be a windows feature only.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
It may be that it only unlocks (decrypt, de-HDCP) the disc. If you have Plex, can you see if you can open the m2ts movie file on the disc to see if you can play it back?

The developer has a thread on the plex forums. I think a plug-in is needed for plex before this feature will work.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
Holy crap, it works. It's a rather convoluted process but I was able to open the Blu-ray disc's m2ts file (Star Trek) with VLC and play it from the disc. I'll see if I can sort out the details in a meaningful way, but we can now play Blu-ray discs on Macs.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Just tried it under Windows and it works. But convoluted isn't what I'd call it, more like a bloody nightmare, could they have made it any more awkward. Luckily I've got AnyDVDHD to take care of my Blu-rays.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Wow, how did I miss this? :eek:

Confirmed working with an LG GGW-H20L. It's dropping frames on my dual 3.0, and subtitles don't appear to work, but it's a good step further.

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Looks like the free lunch is over. v1.5 only allows you to use it for 30 days then requires you to purchase a license. Beware before you install...

However, I was finally able to use version 1.5 to watch a BD disk straight from the BD disk in streaming mode through Make MKV to VCL -- I usually got fatal errors when I tried before. I watched Batman Begins on my 27" iMac. Very nice. If they can make playing the BD disk more seamless it will be worth the purchase price of the license...

hpereyda

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
Looks like the free lunch is over. v1.5 only allows you to use it for 30 days then requires you to purchase a license. Beware before you install...

Look in the MakeMKV forums, the admin there is listing a temporary key for public use every 30 days.

It looks like the UPnP server in MakeMKV is broken. I wish those guys would make sure things work before releasing it. As it is, the first post of this thread is the only way that works ATM.

Remember this software is still in beta.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Just tried this. Pretty cool to watch a Blu-Ray off the disc while in OS-X!

Kind of a few extra steps but it's still in OS-X!!!!! lol. Booting into Windows is still quicker though ;)

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
Will this software play a Blu Ray disc rip on a hard drive? I have several foreign movies that I would like to watch with english subtitles or listen to the commentary, but I dont know how to play them that way.

Reddkryten

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Woohoo, finally. Okay it's a little bit of a convoluted way to do it, but it's far better than needing to boot into a second OS just to watch a film.

So much for bluray being an outdated format and not coming to the Mac :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.