Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimi chitwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
the top row of keys, "q through o" are not working. the left shift also is unresponsive.

nothing was spilled.

bought in 2007, warranty expired.

any ideas?

please.

Stazee

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
Frustrating.

Hello,
I am having a very similar problem , the esc key all the way across to the eject key stopped working on my mac book pro last night; when pressed an alert sound plays and sometimes the keyboard will light up.
As with you, no spillages, although I did recently remove and reattach the return key as a small piece of plastic slipped under and prevented it from functioning. However, the return key is functioning perfectly so I am skeptical that it could be related.
I was wondering if you had made any progress with the issue?
Thanks,
Stacey.

Stazee

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
Oho!

Okay, some playing around has led me to discover that if I press and hold fn and use the disabled keys, they work as expected.
Also, I forgot to mention, not all of the keys do not work ; F6 (which I had set as a function shortcut to spaces) brings up spaces.
Help!! Why has my keyboard become all mixed up?

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Normally, Apple's price to replace your keyboard is $185-$225, depending on the model MacBook you have.

jimi, I'm guessing this is a plastic (white or black) MacBook. If so, are there cracks in the plastic near your palm rests?

lopelis1233

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
the top row of keys, "q through o" are not working. the left shift also is unresponsive.

nothing was spilled.

bought in 2007, warranty expired.

any ideas?

please.

Hi

i am writting because i have the same problem with keyboard top line from q to o and left shift at this moment.So i would like to get some information. How you solved this problem.

Thanks you

fre.dub

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
Hi
i am writting because i have the same problem with keyboard top line from q to o and left shift at this moment.

Hi everyone,

I'm having the same issue as the OP and lopelis1233. However with me we are talking about a wireless bluetooth QWERTY keyboard bought in January 2013. We are 2015 now.

Has anyone by now found out what the cause is? I presume it is a specific hardware problem as I have two specimens of the same keyboard type and the other works fine, and also the said keyboard has the same problem on a different Mac.

If nobody can help, I suppose the Apple Store is the next station.

Cheers,

Frédéric

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.