Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

053908-magicwand_500.jpg

Apple updated an existing patent application today that describes the implementation of a "Magic Wand" remote control to provide a more natural control experience when navigating a product like the Apple TV. Readers will recognize that many of the described technologies work like the Nintendo Wiimote. Similarly, Apple describes the use of a accelerometers as well as fixed points of reference to determine the movement of the remote. Other patent applications in the past have shown us more of this research coming out of Apple.

Naturally, the use of this "Magic Wand" could be used to browse media, fast forward/rewind, rotate images and even zoom in and out by moving the wand closer or further from the screen.

We don't necessarily think Apple would introduce a standalone Wii-like remote system, though there have always been persistent rumors of a much enhanced version of an Apple remote control. Apple has already integrated some advanced remote control features into an iPhone App that takes advantage of gestures and accelerometer controls.

Article Link: Apple 'Magic Wand' Remote System Patent for Apple TV Resurfaces

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Oh lord. We had people complaining about "Magic Slate" (not that it's official) and how Disney it sounded and here is another magic device, haha. Let the complaining continue!

Can we at least wait until it's released to complain?

hwhalers

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2009
So are going to see a slew of new 'Magic' items from Apple now?

The 'Magic' prefix seems more like an internal codename for related projects.

The remote, the supposed tablet, etc. It kinda fits into a concept of a next generation home/mobile integration 'lifestyle' (always hated that as a buzzword) system.

Then again some of this stuff probably predates other bits. A lot of it could have a decade or more between them, thus rendering it all meaningless.

ooberpongo

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Isnt this just a software update to the Remote app?

As far as I know the Remote app does not yet incorporate accelerometer controls. Rotating, lifting and lowering should be easily incorporated.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I don't like this "magic" naming trend, but I'm sure due to marketing efforts I soon will... :rolleyes:

This isn't a little like the wiimote, i'd say it IS the wiimote... which make you wonder... can :apple: now pwn Nintendo?

Super Mario Bros 2 on my iPhone plz...!

dmcdan0

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
I don't care what they call it, as long as it makes my :apple:tv experience more enjoyable. Entering text in search fields with the current remote is painful.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Apple seems to recently like using the 'Magic' prefix on product names. If it improves the user expeerience, I really don't care what they call it. Apple has to protect its patents and its technology from other companies who love to fight Apple with patent lawsuits...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Sorry guys, "Magic" isn't an official name for this. It's just refered to as a "remote wand" in the patent application. People just had previously dubbed in the "Magic wand"

arn

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
They have used magic for a mouse, it wouldn't surprise me if they used the 'Magic' term for input devices. Mice, wands, multi touch keyboards when they arrive.

And the one before it was the 'Mighty' mouse... I don't recall any other Apple products with a 'Mighty' prefix.

Apple haven't released anything other than the mouse with the word Magic in the name and until they do I don't think these reports mean anything. An updated patent would not include a proposed name for the device so it can only be somebody making it up.

dmcdan0

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
With this new Wii style remote, could we finally be seeing video games on the :apple:tv? I'd like to thinks so.

spydr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2005
MD
I am glad to they are thinking still about that Apple tv. I think they should partner with their buddies Samsung or Sony and integrate Apple TV in it. Or they can put expand their LCD and LED panels with ATSC tuners and Apple TV built in. It is only $200 more hardware to build in and I think a lot of people would prefer to get away with one extra device and power cord (probably the only gleaming white one in their entertainment console)

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
I'd rather have no remote at all! I like what I have seen with Microsoft's Natal project. Could make things more like the displays used in the movie Minority Report. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.