Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Is there a Way to take a screenshot of windos on a mac this is easy but with windows I cant seem to figure out how. :confused:

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
jamesW135 said:
Is there a Way to take a screenshot of windos on a mac this is easy but with windows I cant seem to figure out how. :confused:
Ha. As usual, there is a way to do it, but it is much easier on a Mac. Hehe. You need a third party app to do it. Try Versiontracker or download.com and do a search for "screenshot" and you should get a few options.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Heb1228 said:
Ha. As usual, there is a way to do it, but it is much easier on a Mac. Hehe. You need a third party app to do it. Try Versiontracker or download.com and do a search for "screenshot" and you should get a few options.

You're kidding. Don't windows machines have a "print screen" button or something? (can you tell I use Macs almost exclusively? ;))

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
stridey said:
You're kidding. Don't windows machines have a "print screen" button or something? (can you tell I use Macs almost exclusively? ;))
As far as I can remember, you need a third party app to Print Screen as well.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
either ctrl-print screen or alt-print screen copies the screen to the clipboard. Then paste it into MS Paint or something and Save As a jpg. Not as elegant as OSX but it can still be done in Windows. No 3rd party app is required.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
skubish said:
either ctrl-print screen or alt-print screen copies the screen to the clipboard. Then paste it into MS Paint or something and Save As a jpg. Not as elegant as OSX but it can still be done in Windows. No 3rd party app is required.
extra step: dont use paint's jpeg compression for chrissakes!! get irfanview, save it as a bitmap from paint, then open in irfanview and export to jpg or whatever! irfanview is freeware, and it's awesome! yeah, and afaik you need to take a full screenshot then crop it, or use some other app besides the regular print screen. and it's just printscreen on most keyboards.

JonBoy470

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2004
Taking a screen shot in Windows

I actually find it easier and more convenient to take screenshots in Winblows than in OSX (Yes, I'm a heathen)

Pressing Printscreen by itself copies the entire screen buffer into the clipboard. From there, paste into your prefered image editor (Paint, irfanview, etc.). Alt-Printscreen copies just the current window.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
JonBoy470 said:
I actually find it easier and more convenient to take screenshots in Winblows than in OSX (Yes, I'm a heathen)

Pressing Printscreen by itself copies the entire screen buffer into the clipboard. From there, paste into your prefered image editor (Paint, irfanview, etc.). Alt-Printscreen copies just the current window.
wow, that's really good to know. thanks! (wrt the alt thingy) :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
JonBoy470 said:

In OS X, there are shortcuts for this too:

Ctrl-Apple-Shift-3 -> screen to clipboard
Ctrl-Apple-Shift-4 -> selection to clipboard.

And of course, you can easily change these to match what you like from System Prefs. :)

OTOH, in Windows, I also use Paint in the process, and it is a very nice, light app for that kind of thing, and for this, there's no really exact equivalent in OS X. :(

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
skubish said:
Thank god I have a Mac!!

sonneta

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
Mac keyboard in Windows

What if I'm using a Mac keyboard that does not have a "printscreen" button? I'm using Windows on my Mac's partitioned drive, and need to print a screen on the PC side.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
In OS X, there are shortcuts for this too:

Ctrl-Apple-Shift-3 -> screen to clipboard
Ctrl-Apple-Shift-4 -> selection to clipboard.

And of course, you can easily change these to match what you like from System Prefs. :)

OTOH, in Windows, I also use Paint in the process, and it is a very nice, light app for that kind of thing, and for this, there's no really exact equivalent in OS X. :(

As a new Apple user, What is the "Apple" key? I have a Brand new MB Air and my keyboard has FN, Control, Option, And Command. :confused: I see no "Apple" key.

sonneta

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
Well, the Apple key has an apple picture on it. It is also the Command key. If you don't have an "Apple" keyboard, that may be why it's not there. I don't know what the "FN" key is though. ???

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
Well, the Apple key has an apple picture on it. It is also the Command key. If you don't have an "Apple" keyboard, that may be why it's not there. I don't know what the "FN" key is though. ???

There's no Apple key on the laptops keyboard, at least on the newest (early and late 2008).

:apple:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Command is synonymous with Apple... in my own defense, three years ago, when I made that post, Apple keyboards had an apple symbol on the command key. :p

Fn (short for "function") is a key that's only on some keyboards -- generally the ones that don't have a full desktop-style keyboard layout. On these keyboards, you see some secondary functions on other keys, e.g. the Page Up, Page Down, Home, and End functions are on the arrow keys, and so on. The Fn key provides those actions on those keys (e.g. Fn-Right might be Page Down, if the Right key has Page Down written on it). If you have a full keyboard, all those functions have their own key and so you don't need an Fn key....

Also for what it's worth, in the intervening time since I last posted in this thread :rolleyes: a program called Skitch was released. If you do much screenshot taking in OS X (even though this whole thread is about screenshots in Windows and not OS X -- double :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ), this program is invaluable.

http://plasq.com/skitch

What if I'm using a Mac keyboard that does not have a "printscreen" button? I'm using Windows on my Mac's partitioned drive, and need to print a screen on the PC side.

Check out this document...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1167

It lists keyboard mapping in Windows on various Apple keyboards, and you can find how to get printscreen on your keyboard from there.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Wow... this thread got brought back from the dead.

extra step: dont use paint's jpeg compression for chrissakes!! get irfanview, save it as a bitmap from paint, then open in irfanview and export to jpg or whatever!

You can save it as a PNG in paint and it has a lot better quality then JPG.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
My Windows Screenshot

The way windows is meant to be run too, in a Window inside OS X. :eek: Sorry forgot to attach. :p

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 525

cyberghost2000

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2009
Screenshot on windows

:D Guys:

To take a screen shot just press fn+shift+F11 and just paste it on paint or any aplication you may want to use. Hope this is helpfull

juankldu

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010

You can go to accesories, accesibility and use the keybord on screen, there you get the option of psc.

Andrew13

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Hey

Hey

I had the same question as you i did a bit of research and YES you can take a screen shot on mac using windows and this is how you do it!

fn+shift+alt(release)+F11 = active window

fn+shift(release)+ F11 = complete screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.