Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MTclassPro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
Ok so I have an Ipod Video 30gb 4th or 5th addition, but it hasnt been charged in a while, but i charged it and it comes up with this screen ( pic below)
Ive already tried everything (to my extent of knowledge) trying to restore it on my computer.
Please help me out to fix this, I really need to know ASAP.
Thanks
dscn0410k.jpg

HoppyToad

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
last resort

I have a first generation iPod that freezes up once in a while. The first time it happened, it was just like the problem you describe. The only way to get it working again that I know of is to pry off the cover and disconnect the battery. Once it's reconnected, it works again. I chewed up the case a little prying it apart with a couple of small screwdrivers, but the only other option was to throw it in the trash. Good luck.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Have you tried mounting it in disk mode and then restoring? You can also try formatting the iPod hard drive via Computer Management or whatever Vista/7 is calling it these days, and THEN doing the restore.

HoppyToad

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
I don't know why Apple doesn't put one of those tiny buttons on the side of the iPods to disrupt the electrical connection in just such an event, but they should. Maybe you can find out how to open the case without damaging it, or take it to a repair shop and let them do it, but all I can tell you is that I had the very same problem and it worked for me. Drastic times call for drastic measures!

HoppyToad

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Cost of new iPod classic: $249. Cost of hard reboot: $0 + 5 minutes work. My advice is to buy a new one and send your frozen one to me. It would be an upgrade from my $400 1st generation model!

MTclassPro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
well guys the reason why i posted this is because I actually sold it to a guy 9actually traded) but when i left my house it turned on (but it looked like the screen in the first post pic)
Now i think this guy may be trying to get any money he can outta me, I tried asking him for pics of the ACTUAL ipod doing it, and has yet too, always sending the pic that I took (the first pic here).
this is what he said(short but makes me weary)

TODAY, 2:40pm

Quote:
i sent the ipod off to apple this morning to get it fixed , here is a pic of what it looks like

second message

TODAY, 3:07pm
i got a call back from apple , they said it is not a software issuse but the hard drive is toast , has a scratch in the HD disk that wont let the reader neadle read the sector, $129 to fix

so you tell me that it takes 30min to get to an apple company?
does this sound right ?

WG5516

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
Yeah my 30GB iPod does the same thing. It's been collecting dusk since the summer. Not sure what's wrong with, nor do I really want to spend $100+ to get it fixed. I've tried the disk mode reformatting, iTunes restore and nothing works. It's pretty beat up and had a good run.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
so you tell me that it takes 30min to get to an apple company?
does this sound right ?

I've called Apple before and gotten a tech on the line within five minutes before. As this was during the middle of the day when most people were at work or in school. So it is possible to talk to an Apple tech within half an hour.

HoppyToad

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Yeah my 30GB iPod does the same thing. It's been collecting dusk since the summer. Not sure what's wrong with, nor do I really want to spend $100+ to get it fixed. I've tried the disk mode reformatting, iTunes restore and nothing works. It's pretty beat up and had a good run.

Just pry the stupid thing apart and disconnect, then reconnect, the battery. It worked for me. What do you have to lose by trying?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.