Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigshotbob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
I downloaded the paid version of Words With Friends 3 days ago, and it still says tha it is "updating...this may take a few minutes." My wife has the same problem. Any advise?

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Strange, my wife and I just updated to the paid app as well but it took no less than 10 seconds to log in and continue our games.

Are you trying over wifi or cell network? Maybe restart the phones.

bigshotbob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
Words With Friends

We downloaded the free app. and it took just a matter of seconds. However, when we downloaded the paid version, well, day 4 and it is still telling us the download is in progress. Yes, we re-started the phones, no luck. we are downloading via Wi-Fi.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Why not download via Itunes and then sync phone from there? Much quicker that way.

bigshotbob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
Words With Friends

I tried downloading from my iphone...no luck. My wife tried downloading from itunes, same problem. We just keep getting the same message-"Updating...This may take a few minutes." We are now on day 4.

wpattison

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I'm having the same issue, as well. It's frustrating that the NewToys website isn't working.

EDIT: Fixed. Delete the app from your phone and sync with iTunes.

beebler

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2009
Same problem here. I've let it run for hours and still nothing. No one else I know has this problem. I've uninstalled/reinstalled too. A friend searched for me on there and I show up but it says I needed the updated version. Anybody find a solution yet?

notquitegone

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
Paid WWF Crash Fix

I sent in a help letter and was referred to this page:

http://newtoy.zendesk.com/forums/89305/entries/92302

I'll c/p in case you don't want to click:

Actually this can happen with either free or paid version and these tips apply to either one.

Uninstall both free and paid apps.

Re-download the app from the app store. Do not start it up yet. (You will not be charged again for downloading. A notification box will appear telling you that you already purchased that app and asking if you want to download it again. Tap ok)

Shut down power to your iPhone or iPod touch by pressing and holding the sleep button until the red power off button appears. Slide the button to power off.

Turn the iPhone back on and start the app. Log in using your email address / password.

Also, don't run both free and paid versions of the same app together.

If the above steps do not help perform a restore on your iPhone using the iTunes restore function.

Also note that just rebooting your phone may help too. Putting it to sleep isn't enough, it has to be a cold restart. If you don't see that red bar (see below) that lets you power down then it's not a reboot or shutdown.

SueZe

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2010
New update STILL crashing phone...

I absolutely LOVE this game. I've found some great people who are not only a challenge... they also entertain with funny quips between moves.

However. BIG ISSUE. This app keeps crashing my phone. I don't mean the phone freezes... I mean the phone crashes... goes off... and then I can't even get it to reboot (just keeps going apple screen , then black, then apple screen, then black, etc).

Apparently stability is a big issue with them right now... they just released a new update specifically to address that. I deleted the old app, rebooted, downloaded new app, rebooted again before I used it, thought it was OK... but now am sitting here again with a phone that has crashed and won't come back on.

Plugging it into my computer will probably help it... last time that was the only way I could get it to come up again. Right now though, my phone is a shiny little paperweight.

I hope the developers fix this. I need my "Words with Friends" fix!

SueZe

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2010
UPDATE: Phone is ruined now because of Words With Friends!!

PHONE freezes and crashes and will not reboot!

I contacted Words with Friends about this stability issue and their flippant response was to install the new update. Of course... I had just TOLD them that I had already done that... so apparently they not only have problems with developing software... but also reading and understanding the English language.

I HAVE REINSTALLED the app. I reinstalled it from the NEW UPDATE, of course.

Reinstalling it did not work to fix the problem!!

AND... not only does the app make my phone freeze and crash when I try to use it... I have now UNINSTALLED it all together and the problems with the phone freezing have remained.. even when I am using OTHER programs... like the web browser, making a phone call, etc!!

This app has RUINED MY PHONE!

I have now made an appointment with the Apple Store to have my phone looked at... as I think this app somehow corrupted my software on the phone.

I am also going to be posting WARNINGS (already have begun), on all the forums I can find warning people about this app. It is DANGEROUS.

Why? Because my phone just crashes and freezes randomly now... and the ONLY WAY to get it back is to plug it into my laptop. This means that when I'm out in public... if it freezes... I am not able to use it (what if I needed it for an emergency?) until I get back home.

I don't know why Apple has allowed 3rd party developers to sell apps through their iTunes store that have not been thoroughly tested to make sure they will not damage the Apple phone. They should make them prove the app works and is bug/virus free.

I mistakenly assumed that if it was avail through iTunes... that it was a "safe" download. Obviously this is wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.