Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The 2010 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) kicks off this week and analysts are expecting the predominant themes to be connectivity and mobility. Mobile devices such as new Android devices and tablet computers are expected to be a big focus. Meanwhile, outside of CES, Google and Apple are both expected to make announcements regarding their future plans this month.

The launch of the Google Nexus One phone is planned for January 5th, while Apple is rumored to be announcing their tablet device on/around January 26th.

For our part, MacRumors will be attending CES for the first time this year. In the past our focus has been Macworld Expo which has tended to run concurrently with CES. This year, however, Apple withdrew from Macworld which resulted in it being rescheduled into February. We'll be focusing on any relevant Apple-related announcements including new Intel chips, ARM-related technology, notable 3rd party Tablets and more. CES 2010 runs from January 7th - 10th.

Article Link: Consumer Electronics Show 2010 (CES) Kicks Off this Week

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I just want new hardware. Computex might be much more interesting with what AMD is going to be offering.

Westmere has been in the table to months now so it's nothing that surprising.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
There was talk about a replacement for the Nikon D90 coming soon perhaps presented at CES but so far no whispers has come of that yet.

ImpostorOak

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2009
Yes it will come soon. Apple will be a joke if they don't use the CES presented Arrandale.

It depends on what "soon" means. This month? I'd say almost definitely. In the next week? I'd say doubtful.

What will be really interesting is to see what Apple does about the graphics. Will they only introduce Arrandale into the models that already have discreet graphics cards? Or will they extend discreet cards to all Pro models (all PowerBooks had discreet chips iirc)? The other option, which I don't see happening, is Apple putting Arrandale in the whole MBP line and leaving the 13" model with only the graphics on the chip. I'm hoping they just put out a 13" model with a discreet card and let people fall back on the onboard graphics when they want to save battery life.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I want to see the new android stuff and the tablet computers. Android has really impressed me so far.

csdibiase

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Being that the rumors about the January 26th event are focused on the tablet and mobility, Apple is likely to silently update the MacBook Pro on some Tuesday between then and now.

Then again Apple might see the transition to Arrendale as a big enough deal to sit on and mention as part of their press event. I'm personally hoping the refresh the macbook pro line ahead of their event as I don't want to wait that much longer to buy a new machine :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I bought my first Mac in late 2005 and in January of 2006 attended my first (and now probably only) MacWorld. Well, that was the one to be at, absolutely, with Apple's announcements of their brand-new iMacs and MacBook Pros sporting the then new to Apple intel chip! Wow, that was something.....

I've never been to a CES but always thought it unfortunate that it and MacWorld were timed so closely together that in some years they overlapped.....NOT a good situation!

Looking forward to what CES has to show us and what MacWorld has to show us....but of course most importantly am looking forward to January 26th to see what Apple is bringing us!!!

As for cameras and such, I've always looked to Photokina and also individual manufacturers' special announcements of new products so for me, CES isn't a big player in my mind when it comes to photography.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Sites keep reporting that there's going to be an Apple event on January 26th as if it's a fact. Is there any REAL proof that that's the day of announcement?
Proof of tablet (however solid it is) != proof of announcement!

In any case, Apple has to give journalists 1-2 week notice before announcing anything. We'll find out well before the 26th if it really is true.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
Sites keep reporting that there's going to be an Apple event on January 26th as if it's a fact. Is there any REAL proof that that's the day of announcement?
Proof of tablet (however solid it is) != proof of announcement!

In any case, Apple has to give journalists 1-2 week notice before announcing anything. We'll find out well before the 26th if it really is true.

a number of reliable sources have indicated that there is an event booked for the 26th. this is of course not proof of tablet-magic-slate, it could be the fabled arrandale mbp with apple making a fanfare about moving back to "advanced intel graphics that will blow nvidia out of the water" ;-)

and there is no need for apple to give journalists 1-2 weeks notice, they have done it on less before.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Hopefully Intel unveils its new lines of processors, known as Gulftown. Mmmm... tasty 32nm manufacturing process.:D

Oh, and who can forget about Arrendale and Clarksdale :rolleyes:

EDIT - BTW, Macrumors, thanks for attending!

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
I couldn't care less about an Apple tablet computer (I dare you to make me care, Apple, I dare you). I'm just starting to not really like the whole "Apple events" thing they're into now. I'd prefer for them to join with some community, whether it be Macworld or CES or whatever (I love it when they go to NAB), than to go on their own cloud. I agree that they're doing software and hardware to a degree well above the competition, but for them to separate themselves just makes them seem more superfluously pretentious and needlessly exclusive.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I just want new hardware. Computex might be much more interesting with what AMD is going to be offering.

Westmere has been in the table to months now so it's nothing that surprising.

How about Core i7 930 being released? According to many sources, it's due in Q1 2010. Intel hasn't been specific whether it'll be 45nm or 32nm as it's 6 core counter part, which by my predictions should make it into the Mac Pro.

Also, SATA 6 Gb/s please appear on more boards!

georgemann

macrumors regular
Being that the rumors about the January 26th event are focused on the tablet and mobility, Apple is likely to silently update the MacBook Pro on some Tuesday between then and now.

Then again Apple might see the transition to Arrendale as a big enough deal to sit on and mention as part of their press event. I'm personally hoping the refresh the macbook pro line ahead of their event as I don't want to wait that much longer to buy a new machine :)

The January 26 event will be focused on iTablets/Slates (maybe some iPhone upgrades) and the big (one other thing) surprise will be the launch of Apple's Cloud System. There won't be room for anything else.

MacBook upgrades will either be silent or at another event.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
CES Eh... Why call it MacWorld?

I love these types of trade-shows. The inspiration one can get from these is amazing, also not to mention the networking :) .... BUT AND IT'S A HUGE BUT :rolleyes: .... Last years CES brought to notable following:

• OLED Tv's (The 2nd Best announcement by far)
  • The palm pre (2009's joke cell phone)
  • Pico Projectors (is an emerging technology that applies the use of a projector in a handheld device. Like the Nikon Coolpix S1000, which is very cool but is it really CES news worthy? If Nikon was more Apple like they could have launched it much better IMO)
  • Marvell (is an American producer of storage, communications and consumer semiconductor products.)
  • SheevaPlug ( This is just a PLUG COMPUTER...One of the first on the market BTW)
  • Dell Adamo
  • Minoru 3D Webcam (Very Cool webcam, which looks like WALL-E or Johnny 5 and takes a distant 3rd in best announcement)

The Biggest announcement at CES wasn't even at CES and that was Apple bowing out of MacWorld. Which should change its name. For decades when you heard MacWorld you instantly thought Apple. Now since the name of the show left, they should really think about starting new and changing the name of the convention.

I like the ideas of these shows as mentioned above but Apple gave a clear indication as to where these trade-shows are heading.

Apple will steal ALL the Thunder from both CES and Macworld (even-though MacWorld is slated in Feb)

On a side note if Apple focuses on the mobility space (As mentioned by Arns article). I think we should expect the following IF THERE IS AN ACTUAL EVENT (read below about apples product cycle):

• Mobile Me/ iWork.com (beta)
  • Time Capsule
  • Some talk about iPhone and company numbers
  • The rumored "Tablet"

Also Apple addressed their Annual Product cycles.

• The Holiday Season. Novemberish
  • The educational buying season. Late summer
  • iPods. October
  • iLife Development cycle. Usually March
  • iPhone. June
  • Apple updates the desktops and notebooks whenever there ready.

Phil Schiller even said "JANUARY" doesn't fit with any product cycle announcements.

iDisk

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.